Military uses Android

Natey2

Reaction score
"... where soldiers are testing the Motorola ATRIX and the General Dynamics made Motorola GD300, as well other smartphones, radios and handhelds in a massive war game. In military vehicles, combat leaders used Motorola Xoom tablets to get a unique new look at soldiers’ locations."

- http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/12/army-stronger-with-droids/

I hope the ATRIX is more reliable than the DroidX.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
I thought Java, Android, etc. had something similar to the following in its Terms Of Use:

... NOT FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS, EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES WHERE FAILURE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Lmao... nice warning there.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought Java, Android, etc. had something similar to the following in its Terms Of Use:

... NOT FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS, EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES WHERE FAILURE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Yeah for those situations the government relies on Apollo 13 era computing

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Motorola and GD have experience designing military-grade equipment.
Not so sure about Google...

robssm

Reaction score

NDAA allows the govt via executive order to redeploy for govt use any technology or software with or without consent of the manufacturer for the good of the government..

Funny given the "no factory reset" option my phone just acquired a week ago.

Also too, govt chose Android due to the speed capability of OTA deployment because govt needs all phones to have exactly the same software due to mission critical ops.

Little known fact: Androids are already being used for next-gen controls for smartbombs and automated gun turrets. So, Androids are already being weaponized its just not widely known.

Don't know if it has anything to do with my "no factory reset" situation, but, when I think about it for a second... Out in the field, with your android based military hardware, you would NOT want the soldiers to be able to factory reset and wipe the device..

Hrm, I am starting to piece this together a bit.. Well, will get more answers Monday when I call Motorola directly..

On another note, I have heard that the development Razrs that MOTO sells specially for developers are not able to unlocked right now, Moto issues an apology saying that the users would have to wait for another month, for whatever reason.. Makes me wonder if ALL unrooted razrs are temporarily locked down until the govt is done with the testing..

The testing is being done in White sands?!?!

LOL I live near White Sands LOL!!!

What a coincidence...

Last edited:

robssm

Reaction score
Motorola and GD have experience designing military-grade equipment.
Not so sure about Google...

Google Android is Unix, and Unix is used by many military concerns on quite a bit of military hardware.

Chinese military hardware is almost 100 percent Unix based, as is most of the Russian hardware.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
"The U.S. government has been teasing military-grade smartphone technology for a while."
- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406530,00.asp

I think the author meant "testing", but it certainly is not beyond the US Government to tease technology for a while.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Look at how the soldier holds the Android phone:
333424-u-s-army-soldier-using-smartphone.jpg

You can't hold an iPhone that way :^)

Last edited: