Milestones are not all the same (A853 / A854)

Crummy

Reaction score
Something I have not seen mentioned much in this Milestone forum is that there are drastic differences in different models of Milestones. Motorola made things very confusing when they decided to make two phones which are very different have the same name. I started this thread to try and help clear it up a little. I wasted alot of time reading information that was totally irrelevant to my phone.

Milestone Model A853 is GSM and is the Milestone that is mentioned in most forums. Unlike the DROID, the A853 Milestone has a bootloader that only allows signed Firmware to load. There are other differences that I have not researched since this is not the model I have. Motorola is suppose to offer a 2.2 update for this phone at some point in the future.

Milestone Model A854 is CDMA and does not have a locked bootloader. The A854 is the same phone as the A855 Droid but branded with the Milestone name for licensing to small carriers. This model will not receive a official 2.2 update but most if not all the custom roms for the A855 Droid will work on the A854. I am currently running CyanogenMod-6.1.2-Droid which is Android Version 2.2.1 on a A854.

I am sure this is old news for some but like I mentioned before I wasted alot of time reading Milestone forums when I should have been reading Droid forums for information about the A854. I hope someone finds this information useful. If any of this information is incorrect please feel free to correct me.

Now for a question. This forum section is labeled "Verizon Android Phones > Motorola Milestone". Has Verizon ever carried a Milestone? I thought they were CDMA and have always sold the CDMA Motorola A855 Droid.

rhj911

Reaction score
Good info to know. One possibility on people mentioning the "Verizon" milestone could be actually referencing the Alltel milestone. Some people that purchased the Alltel version may have been switched over to Verizon with the merger/acquisition of Alltel by Verizon.

Sent from my A854 using DroidForums App

dblswing

Reaction score
milestone is on alltel a division of verizon

Something I have not seen mentioned much in this Milestone forum is that there are drastic differences in different models of Milestones. Motorola made things very confusing when they decided to make two phones which are very different have the same name. I started this thread to try and help clear it up a little. I wasted alot of time reading information that was totally irrelevant to my phone.

Milestone Model A853 is GSM and is the Milestone that is mentioned in most forums. Unlike the DROID, the A853 Milestone has a bootloader that only allows signed Firmware to load. There are other differences that I have not researched since this is not the model I have. Motorola is suppose to offer a 2.2 update for this phone at some point in the future.

Milestone Model A854 is CDMA and does not have a locked bootloader. The A854 is the same phone as the A855 Droid but branded with the Milestone name for licensing to small carriers. This model will not receive a official 2.2 update but most if not all the custom roms for the A855 Droid will work on the A854. I am currently running CyanogenMod-6.1.2-Droid which is Android Version 2.2.1 on a A854.

I am sure this is old news for some but like I mentioned before I wasted alot of time reading Milestone forums when I should have been reading Droid forums for information about the A854. I hope someone finds this information useful. If any of this information is incorrect please feel free to correct me.

Now for a question. This forum section is labeled "Verizon Android Phones > Motorola Milestone". Has Verizon ever carried a Milestone? I thought they were CDMA and have always sold the CDMA Motorola A855 Droid.

this may be old news for some but I am wanting to run 2.2 on mine would you please send me info on how to do it? I have an a854 from alltel. my email is [email protected] Thank you

kordris

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.. I have a the same phone from alltel. I been trying to get my head around it.. Because some forums say only do this for milestones and alltel call there phones milestones also.. but like you said its a cdma. Now i want to get a custom rom on my phone also, or just update to android 2.2 so i can use wifi tether. If you can possibly give me some info on how to upgrade my A854 to load the CyanogenMod would be great or get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks you can email me at [email protected]