MIKRADLE Custom - Diamond Wolf For DROID

Discussion in 'MIKRADLE' started by cuskit, Mar 5, 2011.

1. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Expanding on the custom options for MIKRADLE, here's a model that actually evolved over several months. A droidforums.com member had requested a Mahogany MIKRADLE EVOLUTION for an HTC Incredible, asking if it would be possible to use diamond plate pegs, and if not - to just surprise him. After a few e-mail communications with him (user name Wolf Irotisha), I offered to use a piece of aluminum diamond plate sheet in some fashion to create something unique. Combining his user name (Wolf) and his wish for diamond plate - I experimented with dozens of designs and prototypes, ultimately settling on the model you see presented here. Appropriately named the "Diamond Wolf MIKRADLE", it was to be a complete surprise to Wolf when he first opened his package.

It does have a magnet installed under the diamond shaped cutout of the aluminum plate inlay. Therefore it will work with the automatic Multimedia Mode should Wolf ever move over to a Motorola Droid from his coveted HTC Droid. I've inset (using hand chisels to cut out the 3/16" deep recess) the diamond plate flush with the surface of the backrest, and applied black felt around it, also cutting out the "diamond" shape surrounding the inlay. The sides were hand carved (relief rendering) to show mirror images of the head of a Northern Timber Wolf. The wood is Honduras Mahogany, and I've applied 14 coats of hand rubbed pre-catalyzed lacquer for a durable finish. I also rubbed on several coats of Van Dyke Glaze to give the wood and carvings more definition and contrast. Even the pegs were hand rubbed to take away the glossy smooth finish, matching the hand rubbed finish I applied to the aluminum diamond plate.

I have to say - Wolf has been one of many MIKRADLE loyal fans here on the forums (I'm blessed to have acquired the friendship of countless awesome customers). I thoroughly enjoyed our exchanges, and have been delighted time after time viewing his posts here relative to my business. It was with the utmost pleasure that I created this "one-off" custom model, and my reward was the video he sent me, taken during the opening of his newly arrived package. With his permission, I've copied it here, as well as posting several pictures of the making of this most unique MIKRADLE.

I give you the MIKRADLE Diamond Wolf:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. mforrest

mforrest New Member

What does something like that cost?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. cuskit

cuskit New Member

mforrest: Thanks for your interest. A MIKRADLE EVOLUTION Standard (the basic cradle without the carving and diamond plate) is $37.99 (add $2.00 for magnet). A custom inlay with the diamond plate (as in this custom model) is an additional $15.00. The carving, well - the wolf head was several hours of carving, so you could be looking at a minimum of $100.00 just for the custom carving, depending on how intricate or detailed it may be. Also, the lacquer finish on this model has a lot more hand rubbed coats as well as glazing applied - that adds to the cost as well.

The exact charge to wolfirotishia is confidential, hope you can respect that. :) But I can say that some of my custom models have sold for $150.00+. Now be aware - most of these can be utilized for just about any phone - the EVOLUTION Standard (which is usually the base cradle for customs) is sized and dimensioned to accommodate any phone. So, those buying customs know they can continue to upgrade their phones safe in the knowledge that their custom MIKRADLE will continue to serve it's useful purpose through many phone upgrades.

Thanks - mikey
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Gnarly!!!! Not a huge wolf fan myself, but the quality and artwork is excellent.

-Mike
  5. Wolf Irotisha

Wolf Irotisha New Member

Yeah. im loving the work mikey did. And as he stated i originally ordered something simple. This is what happens to those who wait ^..^. Also mikey im flattered that your using the Diamond Wolf as your sig.
Search tags for this page

custom wolf phone cases droid razr

droid x2 wolf phone covers

hand carved case droid

wolf cover for droid dna

wolf phone case for android 4

wolf phone cover for droid x 2