1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Might have to leave Droid1

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by JDROIDS, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

I have had my Droid 1 since it's launch and my batt life has gotten so bad I am seriously considering finding another phone (Droid 2 or some other Android device). I hate to do it because I love my droid 1 but I think that possibly flashing so many ROMS and themes has ruined my batt life.

I see all these batt life threads and I have tried everything (I think) like clearing batt stats etc. but nothing seems to work.

I am getting like 3 hours of battery life and am carrying two extra batteries around and constantly charging them. Not sure if going back to stock would help and I know it is not PE because it has been like this for every 2.2 rom.

Any help would be appreciated because I don't think (as far as I know) any other Android phone is as customizable through root access as the original droid.

Thanks.
  2. 666ogre666

666ogre666 New Member

Switch to the CM nightly builds of gingerbread and see what that does for you. I couldn't come close to lasting a day and now I have 50 to 30 percent life when I charge at night since switching

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. mxnut

mxnut New Member

Wow, can'tsay I blame you but I gotta believe some program is eating up your battery. Have you tried the droid 2 extended battery? I personally haven't tried it but I read on one of the forums that Juicedefender might be a help and it's free.
  4. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Beta Team

This is probably a silly question, but batteries start to go bad after a year. Have you tried just getting a new battery?
  5. UNC

UNC New Member

+1.

Also, I know you said you have spare batteries, but android doesn't know which battery you're using... have you tried reseting the battery stats with your newest one?
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

yeah....seems kind of obvious...phones are over a year old now... the extended batter for the droid 2 fits in the droid 1 as well.
  7. burntorangefan

burntorangefan New Member

I had the same thing happen about a week or so ago...Battery life down the tube, but I'm a first day Droid owner way back in November of '09, so I'm at 14 months and I know it's the problem (not the ROM)...Sucks, but that's technology. I'm looking for a new battery...
  8. gwwjpd

gwwjpd New Member

9. mxnut

mxnut New Member

Yeah gwwjpd, I did likewise. Hard to beat just over $4 with free shipping.
  10. vonfink13

vonfink13 New Member

Got my droid 1 on launch day too...over the course of the past few weeks my battery life has really gotten bad... i just figured it has been over a year and it is time to buy an extended life battery...i was hoping for some kind of sale to show up...
  11. vonfink13

vonfink13 New Member

Thanks gw.. that is exactly the sale i was waiting for...
  12. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

Thats the battery i got. You cant go wrong with 4 bucks. My battery lasts now 24 hours with average use. Email, internet, texting. I unplug it at 9am then plug it back in next day at 7am. It's usally at 10% at 7am
  13. Riley

Riley New Member

My Droid is about a year old or so too. Same thing my battery life has gotten really bad the last week. With 40% left on a shutdown I wake up to turn it on and it's dead until I plug it in.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. jk8

jk8 New Member

why don't you plug it in before you go to sleep?
  15. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

When you do the settings/about phone/battery use what are the main battery consuming apps?

Here's my tips:

1. (Doesn’t apply to all phones) Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts. Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.

7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.

10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.

12. Go to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin after you've charged your phone to 100%. This will help with battery meter accuracy.
  16. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

Thank you so much for all the responses. I just read them all now. Tons of great tips.

Just so you guys know I tried almost all of those things and yes I have 3 new batteries so it is not the age of the battery.

I'll try getting an extended battery. I looked at the battery stats and everything seems to be in order. Nothing jumps out.

Bayou, I took your advice on your elaborate and extremely helpful post and turned my only widget that refreshes-weather and set the update interval from 15 min to 1 hour. I am sure that will help some.

I have a private email account and will try the Gmail trick you posted right now and let you know how that works.

Thanks again. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  17. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

I was having battery problems, not only getting 3 hours worth, but was still pretty short. I took BayouFlyFisher's advice and did everything he said and have had significant improvement. I feel like the turning GPS and Data off was the huge difference maker for me. It's been said several dozen times around here but Project Elite 4.x is by far the best power saving ROM I have flashed also. I could be taking a shot in the dark here but could overclocking (if you do) be a part of the problem? I turn my phone off when the temp hits or gets near 100 degrees, a friend of mine (not so tech savy/doesn't care a whole lot about electronics) keeps on going and doesn't really care, and gets no where near the battery life I do. Thats my two cents.
  18. electro

electro New Member

Bad battery life in Droid 1

Hey guys, I was starting to suffer from bad battery life too. Had my D1 from day 1 and enjoy mods. I have a zillion apps loaded and int. mem. is way down but I wouldn't trade my D1 for anything. Will always keep it as it's clean without any enforced overhead like blur.

Anyway, I'm using Elite 4.2 and it's great, better than C-gen with D1. Had some issues with battery life, and did a complete system wipe (after Titanium backup) and reloaded Elite from scratch and built up my app catalog from Titanium one at a time discarding saved app info and starting everything from the beginning except for dat. I also loaded Watchdog. After a while, I'm getting alarms from Watchdog alerting me to apps that suddenly grab resources (like Pulse news reader) and it lets me kill the app process dead. My battery life is now a lot better, getting a whole day without a charge if I remember to kill wifi on the road and bluetooth while at home. Oh, I also keep my cpu to a max cycle of 800 which is the better part of discretion; and even though I can push it to 1000 it uses too much battery, but every cpu is different in the max limit (just watch temp).
  19. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Let me in on the discussion! For the best rom with best battery life, get liquid gingerbread! I have done significant tests after wiping battery stats, and I have 2 times as battery life EVEN WHEN IM OVERCLOCKED AT 800! Also, the battery doesn't heat up at all too! LGB made my phone 2x more faster and battery efficent with virtually no heat coming from my phone!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. Pastor Ron

Pastor Ron New Member

I bought a couple of batteries from Amazon.com for about $5.00 each. They're genuine Motorola, too.