MicroUsb pins broke; rooted, out of warranty

wigout

Reaction score
From another thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/21468-microusb-port-broke.html

Yesterday when I unplugged my droid form the supplied Micro USB cable my port on my phone broke. The 5 pins on the USB are still there but the flat plastic peice that holds them straight pulled out with the cable and is still stuck in the cable. Has anyone seen or heard of this? I can still pull my battery and charge it in my wife's DROID. I can also plug in my wife's charger and it works 50% of the time. Does anyone think the store will replace it or would I have to go through the insurance?
[...later post...]
I took it in to the Verizon store today and they replaced it (refurbished). Thanks Verizon.
icon_%20banana.gif
I think it was a faulty charger cable (original 3ft) that caused it and I will buy a new one.

(I have started this as a new thread, as the other was quite old)

A similar thing happened to me.

I was trying to put the phone on the charger and it was difficult. I looked inside and one of the pins has been pushed inside of the phone. That is four pins are there looking not quite perfectly uniform/lined up and one is gone.

I purchased my droid in November 09, so I don't think any warranty stands on it. I don't have insurance.

I was wondering whether your phone was out of warranty or what exactly you went through to get it returned.

To complicate matters, my droid is rooted using this method:
Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

When I try to plug in the usb cable anyway, the droid immediately power cycles and keeps power cycling.

My wife has a droid so I am able to alternately charge my battery with her phone, but that's kind of limiting. I'd rather not live with that.

Here's another broken microusb thread where someone had it rooted:Need to set my phone back to stock without using the usb cable

They wanted to return to stock and gave up- eventually microwaving their phone. They had insurance, which again I lack.

So: how to unroot without a usb cable? Should I unroot? (my feeling is I should if there's a chance I can get it swapped)

And what's my chances of getting the broken microusb phone exchanged for a refurbished phone since I'm out of warranty?

Thanks,
wigout

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And what's my chances of getting the broken microusb phone exchanged for a refurbished phone since I'm out of warranty?

Getting them to replace a Device that is almost 16 months old....Highly Doubtful.
You might get them to allow you to buy a CLN one for cheap...

geoff5093

Reaction score
I returned a rooted D1 that was damaged to Verizon over the summer and never heard from them.