Microsoft's iPhone & Android Keyboard is Very Innovative

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 26, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It looks like Microsoft's mobile engineering team still has some impressive innovation ideas to draw on. The above image is the new mobile keyboard that Microsoft is creating for iOS and Android. As you can see, what sets this keyboard apart is its unusual configuration of keys. The keys fan out around your thumb's natural pivot point, making the keyboard a more natural extension for one-handed users.

This idea is so good, it makes you wonder why no one has thought of it before. The irony of this idea is that the implementation of this keyboard on Microsoft's own handset isn't the same, and is far more cramped and awkward. Of course, if it works as well as it seems, then that might change pretty quickly.

Either way, using this keyboard on an Android or an iPhone would be pretty funny. We imagine that copycats will start popping up now that this idea has been actualized. The final version of this keyboard is expected to arrive on iOS in a few months, and on Android later in the year. What do you think?

Source: The Verge

2. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +879
    I could see swiftkey offering a version of this with flow, pretty awesome idea. I'd love to try it one handed on my Moto X pure

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vepaot

Vepaot Silver Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G5 (LS992)
    I'm with Lifted. I need Swype like gestures to type. If it has that, I'd love to give it a go when it's available.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I feel like there have been other third-party keyboards with a similar layout. I'm wondering if this would help my wife with the Note 4 though. She was reluctant to even try it, but is loving the larger screen. However, she did tell me just the other evening that she wants her next phone to be smaller again so she has an easier time of using it with one hand. I'm not sure if she's tried the built-in one-handed features of the Note yet. I pointed them out when I first gave her the phone, but I showed her a lot of stuff and then she got to work setting it up.

5. kixfan

kixfan Senior Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Current Phone Model:
    LG V10 on AT&T.
    Twitter:
    kixfan
    I would try that. Looks like a great concept for using a larger phone one handed. Anyone know if other keyboards already use this layout? Just curious.