Microsoft's Cortana Officially Announced for Android and iOS

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CortanaHero2.jpg

This morning, Microsoft officially announced Cortana will be coming to Android and iOS. It's a brilliant move by Microsoft in a string of brilliant moves since the leadership changeover occurred. The personal digital assistant will obviously be in direct competition to both Siri and Google Now. The main difference will now be that you can get Cortana as an app for any mobile device.

Microsoft didn't share a specific time-frame for release, but left it with a vague "later this summer." Cortana offer several of the same features you can find on Google Now or Siri, including contextually-aware reminders, routing and mapping, weather and traffic, sports scores, and more. When she launches, not all of Cortana's Windows 10 features will be immediately available for Android and iOS. This includes features toggling settings, opening apps or using the "Hey Cortana" hands-free options.

Windows 10 itself will include a free "Phone Companion" app which will do various things, including syncing up your devices with your PC and helping you install Cortana on other devices. You can check out more regarding the Windows 10 companion app in the video above.

For more info, here's Microsoft's full presser: Your Windows 10 PC will love all the devices you own

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Looking forward to giving this a spin, though I get the feeling I'll revert back to Google Now. Maybe she'll surprise me.

Also, many sources I've seen on this news say that she's coming to Android in late June and iOS later this year.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Looking forward to giving this a spin, though I get the feeling I'll revert back to Google Now. Maybe she'll surprise me.

Also, many sources I've seen on this news say that she's coming to Android in late June and iOS later this year.
If it's anything like the Windows Phone experience I think you will be very very happy with it. I'm really interested to see how it works on Android/iOS

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I won der how they plan to get it on the iPhone with Apple's history of not allowing competing apps to exist in their store. I know of several that were blackballed because they mimicked things Apple had built in (or provided).

I am not a Windows phone tester but I am a Win 10 beta tester and can say I am very impressed so far. Haters of course will still hate but others willing to try will not be sorry.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Wonder if they'll bake in Android wear support....that would be the way to go IMO.

I'm actually hoping they allow Cortana to integrate with Google now to do similar features. I hope it's not it's own 'app' and I have to open it just to use it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm actually hoping they allow Cortana to integrate with Google now to do similar features. I hope it's not it's own 'app' and I have to open it just to use it.
So far, that's what it sounds like. Open the app, then use it.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
We need to give it a spin and see how it stacks up...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I can not wait to try this.