Microsoft Succeeds in Banning All Motorola Android Devices from Germany

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-banned.jpeg

Because most of the us have been paying the most attention to the Samsung vs. Apple Patent Wars it made it easy to forget there were other legal battles raging in the mobile tech industry. From out of nowhere, a pretty big bombshell of news has been dropped today. Microsoft won it's lawsuit against Motorola in Germany, and now Motorola’s entire Android lineup is banned there.

Also, in stark contrast to the Apple vs Samsung baseless lawsuits, this one looks very legitimate. Apparently, all of Motorola's devices use Microsoft's FAT (File Allocation Tablet) system for storing info, but for some inexplicable reason, Motorola refused to accept a royalty-bearing patent license with Microsoft over this issue. Motorola plans to appeal the verdict (the judge already denied Motorola's motion to stay the ban), but in the mean-time it can no longer sell any of its Android devices in Germany, including the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. Germany may not be one of Motorola's largest markets overall, but it is one of their biggest European markets, so this could sting their pocketbook just a bit.

Looking at the bigger picture; however, things are actually pretty grim for Moto. They have the same case going on in the United States, and if the U.S. court takes the German court's decision into consideration, the legal precedent set could cause a cascade effect in the U.S. as well. This would pretty much be "game over" for Motorola. Of course, a not so easy option for Motorola would be to simply switch the file system of all their devices from FAT to something Linux based like most Android phones. This would make it a bit more difficult for Motorola users to transfer files from their device to a PC, but it would solve Moto's problem.

It will be interesting to see what decisions Motorola makes now that Google is their parent. We will keep you informed if anything changes.

Source: AndroidAuthority

thc1967

Reaction score
OK I'm all for killing the patent trolls but this one seems legit. If Motorola really used FAT without licensing it (and they seem to have used FAT based on the 2 devices I've used), they deserve whatever happens.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
OK I'm all for killing the patent trolls but this one seems legit. If Motorola really used FAT without licensing it (and they seem to have used FAT based on the 2 devices I've used), they deserve whatever happens.

You would think they'd have better sense than that. Paying MS a licensing fee would be their best option. It wont kill them in the least.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Seems very odd that Motorola wouldn't go licensing. I do know Microsoft has to license some industry standard stuff owned by Motorola, so why not trade some of that and call it a wash at least? Sheesh...

If Moto gets banned in the US, I'm gonna be seriously upset. I've never owned anything but a Motorola phone and I'm not about to change that. I'm actually hoping the next Nexus phone is a Motorola, and given the close connection with Google now, that's not too farfetched a prediction.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'm actually hoping the next Nexus phone is a Motorola, and given the close connection with Google now, that's not too farfetched a prediction.

As much as I wish this were true, I feel like Google's continuous claims to not give Motorola preference over other manufacturers are only making the chances of a Moto nexus less and less likely. I sure hope I'm wrong though.

bwass

Reaction score
I really hope this doesn't happen in the us. But if it did what would happen to current moto owners? I mean i wouldnt mind an early upgrade but i couldnt see my self not going to the razr maxx from my my current razr

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've read a few things on this and it sounds legit. I have owned 4 Motorola Android phones and all seem to use the FAT file system.

Now as much as I hate this legal BS I have to say that this is a rightful lawsuit and Moto needs to pay up.

Now as for all that baseless Apple claims...(random yelling and ranting)...well you get the idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tucstwo

Reaction score
A Motorola nexus means unlocked bootloader. Good luck getting that one through. Especially on VZW.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting indeed. Google will likely have some input in how Moto proceeds with this. Either way, it's something that needs to be resolved quickly.

FullMetalGuitar412

Reaction score
Honestly, between stories and experience, it wouldnt bother me one bit if the Android side of Moto died. I hate their phones. My D2 has been so unreliable its not even funny. My step mother's phone attempted to OTA update (shes never rooted and never will do something like that) and eventually her phone will ONLY boot into bootloader. Mine i had to flash a ROM because i was sick of factory resetting GB literally every other day, because EVERY app that needed aa keyboard would just FC, and my phone would go nuts (which, if anyone has a fix for this, i would love to go back to stock GB). 20% or more of my battery's cells physically dont work, though im not sure if thats from me or Liberty 3. So honestly, if Motorola doesnt change under the command of google, then i dont care what happens to them.

bob04021

Reaction score
Does Mot really want to start this?

For discussion, if Mot decides to pay Microsoft royalties for their FAT protocol, how much of a precedent will this set? How deep into the language will be considered copy-rightable? I perceive this as a) Motorola wants the world court to study and uphold the supposition that some aspects of programming are truly in the public realm. b) The EU is strugglin for relevance; the EU governing body contributes nothing, understands less and makes earth shaking decisions based solely on politics. Patent laws throughout Europe vary considerably and I wonder what body is deliberating this issue. :p

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, between stories and experience, it wouldnt bother me one bit if the Android side of Moto died. I hate their phones. My D2 has been so unreliable its not even funny. My step mother's phone attempted to OTA update (shes never rooted and never will do something like that) and eventually her phone will ONLY boot into bootloader. Mine i had to flash a ROM because i was sick of factory resetting GB literally every other day, because EVERY app that needed aa keyboard would just FC, and my phone would go nuts (which, if anyone has a fix for this, i would love to go back to stock GB). 20% or more of my battery's cells physically dont work, though im not sure if thats from me or Liberty 3. So honestly, if Motorola doesnt change under the command of google, then i dont care what happens to them.

Everything you're describing is due to VZ's modifications to your device, though I am unhappy about Moto letting VZ lock down their bootloaders on new devices and also their lack of updates on certain phones as well.