Microsoft Slams US Government as ‘persistent threat’ to Customer Security

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Security_Essentials_Castle.png

It seems that Microsoft isn't fooling around anymore and is fed up with the NSA. Microsoft just joined Google and Yahoo in beefing up security against the U.S. National Security Agency. The Redmond based company just went into overdrive to increase end-to-end encryption for its data center Internet traffic after finding out that the NSA can now hack into major tech companies’ data centers.

Microsoft has taken things a step further by publicly calling out the U.S. Government and categorizing them as an “advanced persistent threat” to its customers’ security. This is the same designation Microsoft normally uses only “for foreign state-sponsored cyber terrorists.”

It's truly frightening and sad when our own government is lumped in with organizations/countries like Iran, Al Qaida and The Taliban.

Source: BGR

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lol, talk about a waste of resources. If nsa wants to get inside it will no matter if you want them or not. With all due respect to microsoft, but this is out of their league. What public sees and reads in open media is only a tip of an iceberg.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, Microsoft--along with Apple--is an “advanced persistent threat” to innovation in the marketplace. I'm not going to praise them for this with the continued idiocy we get from them on other points.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
No matter what happens, the NSA is a well-known threat to any business in the technology field.
With the NSA forcing access by illegal application of unconstitutional powers, everybody knows they must be reigned in and their spying ability forced to a complete stop.
Any company that stands up for the privacy of others, can't be too bad, correct?
We all love to have Microsoft and Yahoo, as well as Google. The fact remains, the more companies join in the fight to stop the NSA's spying, the better we all will be from the fight.
Everybody must join and support organizations such as E.F.F to assist in this ongoing struggle to regain our individual right to privacy, far from the prying eyes and ears of the federal government.
The more we sit back and wait, the worse things will become, as evic=dent by the most recent attacks on even more privacy issues as they pertain to Obama Care (A.C.A) and the corruption of same with the IRS.
I wish Microsoft would push the courts, along with senators like Rand Paul, to put a halt to such aggressive intrusions into personal data mining.
Google needs to stand up to nanny fed also. The IT world, as well as the remainder of the tech businesses need to stand firm and stop bowing down to these predatory acts of data aggression as I label this.
I am not certain how this will all play out in the near future, but one can hope that something good and beneficial will arise from the smoldering ashes of freedom, I just hope it will not actually be OUR freedom we need to worry about!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I know I am going to be an outlier here, but if the NSA wants to monitor my anything, I don't really see where it matters. I think the sense of security from the old days has been long gone for awhile, people just refuse to accept it. There really is no privacy anymore.

I have my whole life in the cloud, and if anyone wants to come and take it that is fine by me. I prefer the convenience of accessing everything I need from any device over worrying about who or what is "spying" on me.

Nothing to hide here, and no over-whelming need to protect information that is already gathered in more databases than I care to count. I will take even the smallest chance of them stopping any attacks here locally by doing what they are, rather than security my Interweb cookies.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The constitution and bill of rights were written based on 18th century technology and moral values.
We now live in the 21st century with its technology and moral values.
The biggest problem comes because those that are deemed to interpret the laws are trying to marry the 2 together while trying to get re-elected or remain in power by doing the will of the majority of the people.
Never before has this nation been so evenly divided over the definition of what the government can/cannot do, should/should not do. Never before has this nation had such a mess in its elected offices that are supposed to protect the people from harm while guaranteeing their right to privacy while at the same time fighting against an enemy more determined ,and capable than ever, bent on destruction of those freedoms and this nation.
The will of the people is about 50/50 , no matter the issue we face about security vs freedom and that in and of itself brings a boat load of unintended consequences that are exacerbated by a media trying to get the most sensational stories possible into the lives of as many people as possible.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

djkms

Reaction score
Yeah Microsoft, I believe you just about as much as I believe Yahoo and Google. Say what you will to save face in the media but your actions speak louder than words. Each company (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Facebook, etc) are tirelessly prying into our personal lives and offering new "features" in the name of convenience.

Take Google for example, they have been the most vocal against the NSA in regards to users privacy yet they are forcing us on Youtube to link our Gmail account in order to post comments (in essence forcing us to use our real name on the site). They are also forcing users to create a Google+ account to use some features on the play store.

I dropped Facebook a few months back due to privacy concerns and Google will be soon to follow. Just like our current administration I am so sick of the Lies Lies Lies. Unfortunately though most people seem to just sit back and believe everything they are spoon fed to them through the media.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys make some excellent points. It is definitely a far more complicated world than it used to be...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah Microsoft, I believe you just about as much as I believe Yahoo and Google. Say what you will to save face in the media but your actions speak louder than words. Each company (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Facebook, etc) are tirelessly prying into our personal lives and offering new "features" in the name of convenience.

Take Google for example, they have been the most vocal against the NSA in regards to users privacy yet they are forcing us on Youtube to link our Gmail account in order to post comments (in essence forcing us to use our real name on the site). They are also forcing users to create a Google+ account to use some features on the play store.

I dropped Facebook a few months back due to privacy concerns and Google will be soon to follow. Just like our current administration I am so sick of the Lies Lies Lies. Unfortunately though most people seem to just sit back and believe everything they are spoon fed to them through the media.

You can still get around the Youtube/gmail link and continue using your original youtube display name, but they make it a hassle to do so and you still have to select which you want to use every time you post. With that said, what's far more ridiculous is that Google scans your email in order to "better tailor" ads to suit your needs. Whatever the purpose, it's still ridiculous.

Seems it's hard for anyone to stay pure in regards to their claimed ideals when that much money on the line. I do see the need to protect privacy, and we shouldn't have to give that up to function in the electronic age. If Google provided physical mailboxes I don't think anyone would be okay with having his or her mail scanned on each occasion that something new is received.

I've already spoken my piece on MS. Grand if they want to pursue this, but they have issues they need to correct in-house themselves.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can still get around the Youtube/gmail link and continue using your original youtube display name, but they make it a hassle to do so and you still have to select which you want to use every time you post. With that said, what's far more ridiculous is that Google scans your email in order to "better tailor" ads to suit your needs. Whatever the purpose, it's still ridiculous.

Seems it's hard for anyone to stay pure in regards to their claimed ideals when that much money on the line. I do see the need to protect privacy, and we shouldn't have to give that up to function in the electronic age. If Google provided physical mailboxes I don't think anyone would be okay with having his or her mail scanned on each occasion that something new is received.

I've already spoken my piece on MS. Grand if they want to pursue this, but they have issues they need to correct in-house themselves.

In a moral society when the question came up those making the decision would err on the side of citizen privacy.
The reality of today is cash is king, be it in the private sector or government. An arguing congress and president is more profitable for both the elected officials and the corporations injecting their lobbyists into the mix.
I sometimes post a photo of a cyborg with Google swag placed upon it and when I do so it is not in jest. You could replace the Google logos with many other corporations and it'd be the same reality.
Some say if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide. This may be true today but who will decide tomorrow if what today is deemed right is now wrong. Constitutional law would protect that from happening but America is now trying to decide if it wants constitutional law or something else instead. The patriot act is a great example of the battle of privacy vs security that has been divisive since day 1.
Something else that came up this week was whether or not to renew the ban on plastic guns. What is the greater good, the right to have one or protect the citizens from them being used for harm?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Last edited:

rakumiazuri

Reaction score
The idea behind real names on Youtube comes from the idea that if you remove anonymity the troll posts will stop (can't remember where I read this, but I've seen it multiple places).

Did everyone forget that MS, Google, Yahoo were all fine with this until it was made public? These companies don't care about your privacy.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
In a moral society when the question came up those making the decision would err on the side of citizen privacy.
The reality of today is cash is king, be it in the private sector or government. An arguing congress and president is more profitable for both the elected officials and the corporations injecting their lobbyists into the mix.
I sometimes post a photo of a cyborg with Google swag placed upon it and when I do so it is not in jest. You could replace the Google logos with many other corporations and it'd be the same reality.
Some say if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide. This may be true today but who will decide tomorrow if what today is deemed right is now wrong. Constitutional law would protect that from happening but America is now trying to decide if it wants constitutional law or something else instead. The patriot act is a great example of the battle of privacy vs security that has been divisive since day 1.
Something else that came up this week was whether or not to renew the ban on plastic guns. What is the greater good, the right to have one or protect the citizens from them being used for harm?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Always spoken like a true scholar! I always like hearing your opinions Mark. I do find it interesting that you have large companies who try to slap the Govts hand for doing that, but with their other hand do the exact same thing that they slam the govt for. I suppose I would imagine both are equally wrong. At the same time, anyone who knows technology knows that is happening. Its conscious decision you simply have to make. If you want the benefits, and if so, if the cost (your freedom) is worth it. Basically, if a company gives you a great product, and they don't sell it to you, then you are the product.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
The biggest issue is that government has the easiest access to anybody's private information, and uses that information in any manner it sees fit, regardless if that use is detrimental to the person.
Companies do not have the law behind them when it comes to personal data, but government does, and if not, it changes the 'law' to ensure it will, then creates a 'fine' structure to go hand in hand with it, making certain government is the only entity with 'legal' access, even if criminal, government always wants to be in control of all they see, feel and know.
Google. Yahoo, Microsoft and their ilk, have no legal powers to force your compliance to their wishes, which is how things differ from the two. You mus willingly submit your information to them, they can not demand it or force your submission of same.
Government is making certain that the people that are the lawful masters of all government, are bullied into a state of absolute compliance with government demands and directives, this is why they have the FBI, ATF, U.S Marshall and so on. These agencies are constitutionally illegal as the government was never granted absolute power of the people, just the opposite is factually true. Government was designed to be subservient to the people, not its master. This is what government is doing now, moving to take control over the nation, one law at a time, making sure the people are forced into submission and scared to stand up and refuse forced slavery.
In every conflict the citizen has been forced to battle government, the media always stands behind the government, they applaud the deadly force used, the people they destroy for government gains, but they never stand with the ones that made them as large as they are, why? Because government has been pandered to, pacified and pampered to assume it's power is greater than the law and constitution allows.
Government assaulted free people in Waco, and janet reno was responsible for the murder of dozens of men, women and children, but the media sided with the feds, calling the assaulters 'brave' 'heroic' and allowed these terrorists to have free reign and no accountability for the illegal deaths they were the cause of. The assault my military armored vehicles against the people was a direct violation of th Posse Comitatus act, a law the feds broke by choice, and were never held accountable for. It is also an act of terrorism when the government kills its own people to force compliance, submission with acts of aggression without penalty.
Ron Horiuchi of the FBI shot and killed Vicki Weaver during the Ruby Ridge massacre, and she was holding a baby when murdered. Did that agent suffer any penalties for his role in her murder ? NO.
Government designs all it does against the people, it sets up obstacles we must endure for its own pleasure, robbing us of our freedoms at the drop of a hat, or the acts of a single, insane shooter.
Obama uses tragedies to further his Anti-American agenda, and although the majority are finally waking up, the fog is still heavy on the nation. The lies continue, and those that assume they have nothing to hide, have their lives to hide against the aggressive nature of the government.
Our government was never granted absolute power, and was granted enumerated authority, which comes only from the people, but again, government cares not, they have grown in excess and have decided to take control over everything, and 99% of what the fed has taken, was never theirs to take. Usurpation is terrorism and tyranny in the most blatant of acts.
If you feel your privacy is of no concern these days, will you allow government to place cameras in your bedroom and watch you make love to your wife?
How about watching your children? Would that level of intrusion offend you? I surely hope it does far more than that!
Government does NOT have rights, it has limited authority, and none are concerning the acts, movements or lives of the people. Tapping wired telephones is a simple act, and with the test equipment I have, I can also listen to cellphone conversations, just like the NSA. I can decrypt AES encrypted radio transmissions as well. from the extreme low end of the RF spectrum, up into the 'L' band if WiFi and even GPS, I can hear it all.
I don't, as 99.99% is boring, tedious and just plain wrong. I do listen to cops every now and then, and I can decode P25, LTR and trunked signalling data. The 'heroic' police stopping granny for a tail light out, fining people for any 'infraction' of some arcane law....Too much control, and never enough 'doing' for the people. I have the resources to resist any home invasion, and will. Will I bow down when I am out and about, never.
But I will also never allow someone to spy on me because they 'think' we need to be spied upon, or because some politician has decided that this nation has terrorists around every street corner, waiting to attack.
Paranoia is the tool of government to keep the people ignorant and scared, as you can do bad things to anybody so scared, they will hand over their lives to those that tell them they are in danger, and then create instances to support that logic and 'ideal'. Wish for proof of false flag lies, closely watch the pentagon attack. No jet flies without engines, and there were no engines found at the site, just pieces of one, and since it was at ground level, those same engines would have dug up the ground as they struck, but nope, clean, single 'hole' in the side of that structure, not possible, as no current jet has engines located above the wings, they all hang below the fuselage! The strike 'should' have revealed this on impact, but nothing occurred, the lawn was undisturbed. I guess they beamed the fuselage into the building, as this would be the only possible explanation of such a huge crash that resulted in minor damage inflicted.
No sir, privacy is of paramount importance today, as any time in our history, and we are in a constant battle to ensure that only those we allow to possess even the tiniest amount of it, do so with complete privacy of those that are entrusted with it.
Would you agree with a law that would tell you that in order to withdraw money from your account, you are now required by law, to call the police and ask permission?
That is the result of freedoms denied and prohibited, one step at a time, they are being wiped away, and replaced with government permissions and denials.
I appolgize for the rant, I get long winded and forget to STOP.
If i offended anybody, please accept my humble request to forgive me, as I never wish to offend, and will never be my way to get my story across.
Thank you for allowing me to voice my thoughts here.

Last edited: