Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 10; Skips Windows 9!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
windows-10-logo.JPG

Even though this is obviously not Android news, it's still a surprising development in the tech world, so we thought it prudent to share it with you.

It looks like the folks in Redmond can still shock and awe from time to time, although this time it's really just a PR gimmick. Microsoft just officially unveiled Windows 10 to the public. You read that right... they are skipping the Windows 9 name and going straight for the next generation.

While the operating system is still the same thing they have been working on since Windows 8 was a big flop, Microsoft felt that the changes to the OS were so significant it was worth passing over the Windows 9 name. Ultimately this is just a marketing semantics stunt, but it definitely has our attention.

Even more notable is that the release has now slipped farther down the road. According to the report, Windows 10 will be released "later in 2015." Here's a quote with some of the details as to why Microsoft execs decided to go this route,

Yes, the company is skipping the "Windows 9" moniker. Why skip "9"?

"When you see the product in its fullness I think you will agree with us that it is a more appropriate name," [MS executive Terry] Myerson said.

Among other things, Belfiore said the company wants to focus on personalization, to make the Windows experience particular to individual users' tastes and preferences.

"We are trying to hit this balance in just the right way," [MS executive Joe] Belfiore said.

Starting Wednesday, Microsoft is launching a Windows Insider program and will release a technical preview of Windows 10 for laptops and desktops, with other devices to follow.

Microsoft will start talking more about the consumer experience next year at the company's developer conference in the spring, Myerson said. It expects to launch Windows 10 "later in 2015.."

What do you guys think of Microsoft's curve-ball to the media?

Source: USAToday

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL.

Oh, do I need to say more than LOL?

Um...Windows 9 did not get released yet, unless they are going to say 8.1 was really 9, to make it somewhat make sense. But since Win 9 didn't get released, they could have just continued making it better, so that 9 could be the OS people were waiting for (after 7).

OR...

Maybe they are choosing to skip OS's for us. Remember how Windows 98 was good, but then Windows ME sucked. Or how XP was good, but Vista sucked. Or how 7 was good, but 8 sucked. 9 should/would have been good according to the pattern.

Wow, Microsoft ruined it's own pattern. Ha!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Windows 10 fixes what 8 screwed up. Back to looking like 7 that everyone is used to. 8 was a disaster.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Windows 10 fixes what 8 screwed up. Back to looking like 7 that everyone is used to. 8 was a disaster.
I really don't see what everyone is so mad at 8 for. I don't have any problem with it...

realged13

Reaction score
I actually like Windows 8.1. I was skeptical at first, but I am begging to be moved to 8.1 (hopefully here soon).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Waiting to see the specs required. That'll tell whether I convert the old Linux box back into a Windows machine or load this up in VMware. Hopefully VM will have support for installing it early on. I'm definitely interested. The few things they showed in the video are very nice additions/changes.

Almost like they're finally starting to figure out what the average consumer wants instead of pushing touch interfaces like they did with Windows 8.

I bought a touchscreen laptop with 8 on it (That I've faithfully updated since) and can barely stand to use the touch for fear of smudging the hell out of the screen. At least with my phone it's easy to wipe on my sleeve or pant leg to clean the screen. Haha

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
They announced earlier today that Windows 9 would be given to all Windows 8 users for FREE and that it will be steeply discounted for all XP users also.

It's not being "skipped" at all.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Average consumer didn't like the radical change from 7 to 8. They wanted a gradual change like from 95 to 7. Hence why 10 looks like 7. Friends and family been asking me to find them laptops with Windows 7 on it because that's what everyone is familiar with.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Average consumer didn't like the radical change from 7 to 8. They wanted a gradual change like from 95 to 7. Hence why 10 looks like 7. Friends and family been asking me to find them laptops with Windows 7 on it because that's what everyone is familiar with.
I upped from XP to 7 fully kicking and screaming and only because I bought a used desktop with 7 on it and the guy didn't have a disc of XP. My daughter's laptops have 8. Golly I don't like 8. Looks like a phone ui and works about as well as Windows Mobile 6.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I really don't see what everyone is so mad at 8 for. I don't have any problem with it...
Exactly, I think most the people that hate Win 8, didn't use it for any credible amount of time and are just allowing uninformed word of mouth to sway their opinion.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They announced earlier today that Windows 9 would be given to all Windows 8 users for FREE and that it will be steeply discounted for all XP users also.

It's not being "skipped" at all.

That is incorrect Dusty... it was correct as of yesterday, but Microsoft apparently did a 180. Microsoft has completely reversed course and is skipping Windows 9. Here's a quote from an updated version of what you were saying,

Story: Windows 9 Will be Free for Windows 8 Users -- Report - GameSpot

The FREE Windows 9 reports were out of Indonesia and have been debunked as of this latest breaking news today.

jspradling7

Reaction score
The new machines here at work came with Win8 on them. The first I do is install Startisback on them and make them look like Win7. It only costs a couple of bucks per machine.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Exactly, I think most the people that hate Win 8, didn't use it for any credible amount of time and are just allowing uninformed word of mouth to sway their opinion.
Everything is there. It's just in a different place.

Don't like the start screen, set it to boot to desktop.

As for the start MENU missing, that doesn't bother me at all either. I have the Windows Explorer icon pinned to my taskbar for finding files, but all you have to do is hit the Windows button and start typing and it'll find whatever you're looking for. I find it to be considerably faster than the start menu, but, then again, I also forget that not everyone types as fast as I do.

Not that I don't like the looks of 10 from what I've seen, but I don't get why people want to hate it completely except for the reason you suggested, lack of patience and willingness to give it the old college try.

Even now, I use Windows 7 at work (though one of my servers is 2012, which has the same ui) more often than I use my home PC running 8.1 and it doesn't slow me down at all to hop on my computer at home and use it after a full day or two of mostly using 7. I have a harder time remembering to type the right password than actually using the ui once I get in.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
MS had their best run with XP. You'd think they'd learn something from that. I still prefer the search feature in XP to Win 7. In XP when I searched for a file while it was searching it would show results and in most cases I could cancel the search because it would find the file I needed early on. With Win 7 it doesn't show the results until AFTER the search has completed which can take several minutes. By then I've found the file by way of scavenger hunting and trying to determine the most logical place I would have stored it. Even worse I've found files on a drive that Win 7 said weren't there; most likely do to some ownership or other permissions conflict. Win 7 search just plain sucks. Looking forward, my main issue with Win 8 and potentially with Win 9/10 or or whatever moniker they designate, is the "childish" looking UI. Looks too much like a kid's toy. MS needs to grow up and stop hiring 2nd graders to design their UI.