Microsoft Officially Unveils the Surface 3 with Intel Atom CPU & Windows 8.1 for $499

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This isn't Android related news, but it's probably going to be one of the biggest tech announcements for this mild Tuesday morning, so we felt it worth sharing here. (Plus, we know that some of you probably use Microsoft products in your daily lives.)

Check out what Microsoft announced this morning. A new Surface 3 product will be hitting store shelves in May starting at a price of just $499. This new entry in the mobile computing arena is meant to be a complete laptop replacement. It includes full Windows 8.1, along with the usual desktop applications, and has a quad-core 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor powering its core.

There are two versions of the new Surface 3. The first one has 64GB storage and 2GB of RAM for $499, and the second includes 128GB and 4GB of RAM for $599. Both tablets also include the following specs:
  • 10.8" Full HD display at 1,920×1,280 pixels resolution
  • Full-size USB 3.0 port
  • Mini DisplayPort
  • A microSD card reader
  • Headphone jack & cover port
  • A micro USB charging port
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Three-position kickstand
  • Available WiFi Only and/or 4G LTE models
Either tablet will be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available. They also include a one-year Office 365 subscription. You can pre-order any of these devices now. The WiFi only models will ship the first week of May, while the 4G LTE versions will ship June 26th.

*There's one last important detail worth noting. The new Surface 3 does not include the type cover at that price. Those will set you back an additional $130.

Here's Microsoft's site for further details and to pre-order: Buy Surface 3 - Microsoft Store

As originally posted on our sister-site @SurfaceForums.net: Microsoft Officially Unveils the Surface 3 with Intel Atom CPU Windows 8.1 for 499 Microsoft Surface Forums

realged13

Reaction score
I am really thinking about getting one of these. The surface would be awesome for work, home and play.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Here is an interesting chart to help the decision making process. Looks like there may be a 512G coming down the pike.

Microsoft Surface storage   Surface disk space   How much disk space on Surface.png

jhom

Reaction score
I assume the microSD will ease the storage problem some. The Surface is looking like a possible laptop contender for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not for me. For the price range, you can get a very decent laptop and not have to worry about having a surface that the kickstand will actually hold the "screen" up on. They've got to come way down in price before I could see buying one of these vs. buying a laptop if I was in the market.

The only real place I could see a Surface being useful for me is at work (IT guy at a nursing home) and that's only because it'd be handier to grab a Windows tablet with full Windows functionality than to unhook my laptop from my second screen, printer, and network to take it with me to have a working device to fix/troubleshoot issues without having to commandeer someone else's computer while they're trying to get their work done.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-10-1-Inch-Detachable-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00FFJ0HUE

I have that. It's pretty great. It's very cool that MS is finally hitting those price points.
Still like mine better. Better keyboard. Came with it, no extra charge. I assume the Surface one is still extra. and mine came with Office 2013, not the subscription. BUT when I got mine, the cheapest surface was $900. There was no question to me. At this price I would at least consider the Surface (and still get the Asus though TBH). I like the idea of not paying for Software annually.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
/SIGH #fail

With the new 10-inch Surface 3, get the perfect balance of performance and value (Type Cover and Surface Pen sold separately).

You can't even throw in the PEN, MS?!?!?!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Amazon.com ASUS T100 10.1-Inch Detachable Laptop OLD VERSION Computers Accessories

I have that. It's pretty great. It's very cool that MS is finally hitting those price points.
Still like mine better. Better keyboard. Came with it, no extra charge. I assume the Surface one is still extra. and mine came with Office 2013, not the subscription. BUT when I got mine, the cheapest surface was $900. There was no question to me. At this price I would at least consider the Surface (and still get the Asus though TBH). I like the idea of not paying for Software annually.
Oooooh! Me likey! Haha! I'm really not in the market at all, but I think I'd have to go that route myself as well if I was purchasing for personal use. Might actually use the Windows touch gestures and such that I don't really use on my touch screen laptop if I had it undocked.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's actually pretty awesome for work, too. Seriously.
That tablet alone is what made me LOVE Windows 8.1 The touch gestures are FUN and useful on a tablet.
MS has been doing some things great lately, but I swear every time I start to think "man, they've finally figured it out" they misstep again. I could go on and on about that. :D
And some of the built in apps on 8.1 are really good. MS doesn't get enough credit for the Sports app, the Food app (you can look up a recipe and quickly add every ingredient to a list), the News app. I think the only one I've seen anyone comment positively on is the Weather app.
On my Windows laptop, I never go into "Metro" except to use the Find Feature. On the tablet, I'm in there a lot.
Don't disown me, but I actually gave my Android tablet to the wife and I mainly use the Windows one now. :D