Microsoft Officially Announces the Xbox One

Anomander

Reaction score
This article is titled "Microsoft Officially Announces The Xbox One". Well, Sony officially announced the PS4, went in-depth on the hardware and features of the console, and showed more game demos than Microsoft did. Sony's game demos were all in engine. Half of Microsoft's demos were fake cgi trailers.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!
Exactly what did Sony show the game Demos on though? I saw no Sony PS4 running the Demos during their conference. I give MS kudos for showing a console at their event. The event was to show the console the things it can do. E3 will be for the games. While I like what I saw there are still some nagging questions I would like to see cleared up before I go and get it. Mostly if I have family plan on my Xbox Live and I buy a game can we all play it, or am I going to have pay extra for my son who has live and is online as well.

I think what MS may be doing for used games will be interesting and could alienate the gamers, but at the same time the publishers may like it, and if that is the case I would not be surprised if Sony has to follow suit. One thing that stood out is they are boosting their live service up a lot and my guess is for the TV service. I do like the idea of the one box behind it since I think this system may be the one that lets me clear up some space in my cabinet. Most likely most of my Console friends will be staying with the Xbox brand, but I still think I'll be gaming on my PC more especially if I can convince my wife to let me build a new gaming desktoop :biggrin:

Briankbl

Reaction score
Incoming opinion......Xbox ONE does everything the PS4 does but better, not to mention all the other things the ONE can do that the PS4 cannot. In my humble opinion, Sony just got left in the dust today and the buzz on the netz seems to reflect that.

Xbox One can't stream games.
Xbox One can't let you spectate games.
Xbox One has much slower ram.
Xbox One can't instantly resume gameplay from a low powered state.

I could go on and on. So as you can see, Xbox One can't do everything the PS4 can do. Not to mention the graphics on the PS4 games shown look better than the Xbox One trailers. And lastly, "the buzz around the net"? If you are on non-Xbox devoted sites, the word is that many people are upset with Xbox One and thought the PS4 conference was much better.

Here's proof, check out this poll on the Gamefaqs Xbox One message board:

www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66246870

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
Exactly what did Sony show the game Demos on though? I saw no Sony PS4 running the Demos during their conference. I give MS kudos for showing a console at their event. The event was to show the console the things it can do. E3 will be for the games.

Some demos were running on PS4 hardware. Watch the conference again and listen to the developers before they give their demos and you'll hear some of them say "PlayStation 4 hardware". However, some demos were running on a pc with PS4 specifications. So essentially running on a PS4, just not in the PS4 casing. I personally don't care what the console looks like, because the games look incredible and the features of the console are amazing. If I want a "smart tv" set top box device for cable tv, I'd get Xbox One. If I want a console for great games, movies, and social gaming features, I'd get a PS4.

Microsoft spent so little time actually talking about games and more time talking about tv and cable, that really turned off a lot of core gamers. The PS4 conference, in contrast, was all about games and how you interact with your friends while playing games. We'll have to see how both Sony and Microsoft handle their E3 conferences, but according to the internet, so far PS4 is more impressive and winning over a lot of Xbox fans.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Not the same. It was a development rig with components configured to what Sony says will be in their console. Sony has yet to show a consumer PS4 doing ANYTHING. Not that they won't, but the only thing that we've seen that is anything like what a consumer will have from Sony is the controller. MS had a working Xbox on display doing what it will do in your living room onstage and operating. A living breathing demonstration of it's functionality running a game, skyping, split-screening, websurfing, fantasy footballing, DVR-ing, voice controlled channel surfing, video on demand... all without a hitch onstage in front of the everyone. Sony has yet to do ANYTHING like that. They had a development rig hidden backstage with scripted samples. Not the same.

Anomander

Reaction score
Microsoft spent so little time actually talking about games and more time talking about tv and cable, that really turned off a lot of core gamers. The PS4 conference, in contrast, was all about games and how you interact with your friends while playing games. We'll have to see how both Sony and Microsoft handle their E3 conferences, but according to the internet, so far PS4 is more impressive and winning over a lot of Xbox fans.

I liked what I saw from the PS4, don't get me wrong, but the deal breaker for me is I detest the dual shock controller. No change to it on the PS4 since the sticks are still in the same damn spot. I spent enough time on my PS3 that I should like it and be used to it, but I just like the feel of the 360 on where my thumbs rest. To be honest though most of my friends and sons friends are staying with MS so that is what we will most likely be getting. I do Most of my gaming back on PC again the last few years so it is almost a mute point for me, though I do still enjoy a game on the console now and then. If I had it my way I'd build a new gaming desktop, but trying to convince the wife of that has not been going to good :blink:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Xbox One can't stream games.
Xbox One can't let you spectate games.
Xbox One has much slower ram.
Xbox One can't instantly resume gameplay from a low powered state.

Have you actually seen a PS4 with any of that?

What task can you factually tell me about a consumer model PS4 performing?

What task have you actually seen demonstrated without a hitch?

Have you even seen the UI in action?

That's all I'm asking.

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
Have you actually seen a PS4 with any of that?

What task can you factually tell me about a consumer model PS4 performing?

What task have you actually seen demonstrated without a hitch?

Have you even seen the UI in action?

That's all I'm asking.

Questions 1 and 2 are loaded questions since we haven't seen the box yet. But even though we haven't seen the box, we have seen games running on actual PS4 hardware (as well as on a pc at PS4 specifications).

3) They demonstrated gameplay video uploading without a hitch, as well as PS4 to Vita remote play.

4) Yes, they showed the UI in action during their conference.

Anymore questions???

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
So they showed two tasks during their big release. That's pretty weak.

What's the time stamp when on the video did they show the UI in action. Not being a troll or anything. I totally didn't see it.

1 & 2 aren't loaded questions... Sony didn't show anything but promises. You'd figure they'd show their features in action rather than talking about them and scripting everything else. You HAVE to admit the Xbox announcement demonstrated WAY more capabilities in action than the Sony announcement.

EDIT: Dude. Are you kidding me. I went back and looked! At the 36 minute mark they show a guy playing a game on a PS Vita for 30 seconds, and they "say" he's playing it via remote screen... they don't show how it happens or any of the UI! What a joke! They had SCREENSHOTS of the UI. No UI in action NOTHING.

So, NO they DIDN'T show the UI in action.

Promises. Promises.

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
So they showed two tasks during their big release. That's pretty weak.

What's the time stamp when on the video did they show the UI in action. Not being a troll or anything. I totally didn't see it.

1 & 2 aren't loaded questions... Sony didn't show anything but promises. You'd figure they'd show their features in action rather than talking about them and scripting everything else. You HAVE to admit the Xbox announcement demonstrated WAY more capabilities in action than the Sony announcement.

EDIT: Dude. Are you kidding me. I went back and looked! At the 36 minute mark they show a guy playing a game on a PS Vita for 30 seconds, and they "say" he's playing it via remote screen... they don't show how it happens or any of the UI! What a joke! They had SCREENSHOTS of the UI. No UI in action NOTHING.

So, NO they DIDN'T show the UI in action.

Promises. Promises.

It's obvious that you seem to have a bias here and that you're not going to be satisfied until you see the box. We all get that. However, facts are facts. Sony had Killzone Shadow Fall running on actual PS4 hardware. Sony did show the UI in motion, not just screenshots. Sony went through tons of specs and features that would actually be in the PS4.

Just because you don't believe what Sony says...doesn't change the facts.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Time stamp of the UI in motion. Where did they show the UI in motion?

YOU have the bias, you got upset by the lack of coverage. They showed Killzone on DEVELOPMENT EQUIPMENT. They basically rolled out a concept and spouted numbers. Xbox rolled out a production unit and showed it in action performing a dozen actions. They essentially showed the crowd what they would have when they laid down their money. Sony showed you nothing of what will be in your hands this fall except for the controller. Development hardware running script and screenshots was all Sony had. Just sayin'.

Do you agree or disagree that MS showed more actual abilities and functions in action on their console? How do you honestly believe that the Sony announcement was better?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No PS4 hardware was shown nor were any games demoed on PS4 hardware at the PS4 announcement event. All demos were on developer systems (PC's with more than enough hardware to emulate PS4 specs as provided by Sony).

Briankbl

Reaction score
No PS4 hardware was shown nor were any games demoed on PS4 hardware at the PS4 announcement event. All demos were on developer systems (PC's with more than enough hardware to emulate PS4 specs as provided by Sony).

Wrong. The Killzone demo was on PS4 hardware. They even used the Share feature of the console to post the gameplay video to Facebook.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Wrong. The Killzone demo was on PS4 hardware. They even used the Share feature of the console to post the gameplay video to Facebook.

No, not wrong. Sorry, but NO PS4 hardware was used during the PS4 announcement. Developer kits (PC's) were used to run demos.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Time stamp of the UI in motion. Where did they show the UI in motion?

YOU have the bias, you got upset by the lack of coverage. They showed Killzone on DEVELOPMENT EQUIPMENT. They basically rolled out a concept and spouted numbers. Xbox rolled out a production unit and showed it in action performing a dozen actions. They essentially showed the crowd what they would have when they laid down their money. Sony showed you nothing of what will be in your hands this fall except for the controller. Development hardware running script and screenshots was all Sony had. Just sayin'.

Do you agree or disagree that MS showed more actual abilities and functions in action on their console? How do you honestly believe that the Sony announcement was better?

UI in action. You obviously didn't pay much attention when watching the conference.

[video=youtube;7JFOpMg-BRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFOpMg-BRo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]