Microsoft Launches Several Impressive New Devices at Today's Press Event

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ms-2015-products.jpg

Here's a bit of off topic tech news for you folks this morning. Microsoft just kicked off their big press event this morning. We covered it over at our SurfaceForums.net site, and thought it would be worthwhile to share the highlights by showcasing a few links to the product announcements.

First, Microsoft "wowed" the crowd with a new HoloLens AR-game controller presentation: Microsoft Kicks Off Their Event with New HoloLens Tech Called X-Ray | Microsoft Surface Forums

After that, Microsoft announced the second generation fitness smartwatch, the Microsoft Band: Microsoft Unveils the 2nd Generation Band; Full Specs, Features, Price & Release Date | Microsoft Surface Forums

Next they revealed their new Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL smartphones: Microsoft Reveals the Lumia 950 & 950 XL Smartphones; Full Specs, Features, Pricing and Release Date | Microsoft Surface Forums

The biggest reveal of the day was the new Surface Pro 4: Microsoft Reveals the Surface Pro 4; Full Specs, Features, Pricing and Release Date | Microsoft Surface Forums

But the biggest surprise of the day was the new Surface Bool laptop: Microsoft's Surprise Product Announcement: the Surface Book Laptop | Microsoft Surface Forums

redoregon

Reaction score
No offense, but if I want Microsoft coverage I'll go to a Microsoft fanboy site. And this is in Android News?? Focus, please???

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No offense, but if I want Microsoft coverage I'll go to a Microsoft fanboy site. And this is in Android News?? Focus, please???

DF has evolved beyond just the droids and android. There are a lot of us on here who operate on multiple platforms. Plus this gives us a comparison to what android is doing. I would pay 1500 on a surface laptop before I'll pay $1000 for a pixel (Google Store - Nexus, Chromecast and more) which has no use to me offline.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think multi paltform will be a bigger thing in the near future...windows/Android ..even Android /ios I could see...but who knows..

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Some good stuff there.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Other than being detachable, I don't see paying a premium for the Surface Book. On it's own as a tablet, too big and heavy to have broad use (I can see it being practical for power sales/design people).

Otherwise the "most powerful laptop ever ounce for ounce" is pretty much the same as half a dozen other ultrabooks coming out with the new I7's and priced probably $300-$400 cheaper. And those others are somewhat upgradeable (seem MS will gouge you $400 to upgrade from a 256 to 512GB SSD).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's even worse than I thought....looking at the specs and pricing, it seems the discrete graphics card adds about 0.7 lbs and $1000 vs. comparable ultrabooks.

Guess they're going with the Apple model of "customers can't overpay if we don't overprice it!!!"

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Of course. I just bought a 3. ;)

(For my boss...)

Looks like they fixed the pen? They better backwards patch my bosses pen...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
sorry but this site gives relevant, and sometimes irrelevant tech news as well... it's all in good fun and it's one of the main sources of news I visit. Sure I could go to engadget, or ars technica or xda.... but I don't I come here, and sometimes seeing more than just android news is nice.

if you don't like it go somewhere else.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I am very intrigued by the Lumia 950 XL...I think Microsoft has stepped up well in the tech arena with their offerings and will hopefully offer competition on all levels...

I really like how the OS has evolved and Windows 10 is awesome (for me anyway :))...I also like the idea of the phone dock where you can see everything on a computer monitor but it is adapted for the monitor.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I am very intrigued by the Lumia 950 XL...I think Microsoft has stepped up well in the tech arena with their offerings and will hopefully offer competition on all levels...

I really like how the OS has evolved and Windows 10 is awesome (for me anyway :))...I also like the idea of the phone dock where you can see everything on a computer monitor but it is adapted for the monitor.
I'm digging the Xl as well.. I'm thinking of picking one up...

S6E+ tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I've never been tempted by a Windows phone....

And I'm still not.

Keep in mind I SHOULD have a Windows Phone as I am the IT Manager @ Work and support everything MS. But no... I draw the lines at phones. Have yet to see any must-have feature on a MS Phone (though I haven't looked at this gen at all yet, to be fair).

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If for some reason I felt compelled to leave the Android universe this would be my next choice of platforms. I'm honestly intrigued by these devices. There are 4 things that make Apple and I incompatible and MS is, in my opinion, my only worthy option. I'm not a social media type, so the amount of apps for Twitter, SnapChat, and Facebook don't matter to me at all. Top notch PERSONAL email/web hosting/FTP access integration, access to my file structure, and customization are my big "things".

By the way, I hate to say, "I told me so."

Yep. I said last year that the things that Microsoft had planned for W8 and WP7+ looked VERY interesting. I almost got laughed out of the forum, but I still stand by that statement. I think they truly have some good stuff cooking up especially with their plan on OS and window scaling across devices.

We're about to see some really sweet tech from them within the next year.

OK... I typed that in 2012, but it still held water!

Last edited: