Microsoft launches on{x} for Android, like Smart Actions controlled from desktop PC..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

revelated

Reaction score
Yeah, totally incorrect title.

I looked at this and it's got a few things holding it back from its true potential.

1. It's a Microsoft creation yet Windows Phone is not supported? That'd be like Google releasing Chrome for iOS before its own OS.
  2. It's a Microsoft creation yet it requires Facebook to log in? Why not...oh, I dunno...Windows Live ID? Or...maybe...Google Account since it's only for Android? The Facebook requirement makes NO sense whatsoever.
  3. Doing these things from a computer seems to defeat the purpose of carrying the phone. It'd be better if you could issue commands such as authorized remote wipe, triangulation if you lose it, or whatever.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry folks, should have been Tasker, not Smart Actions, and Microsoft, not Motorola. That's what I get for trying to hurry with the post before leaving work. :what:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Looks good to me now :D

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

Thanks cjm for saving the day (and my reputation! ) :eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Yeah, totally incorrect title.

I looked at this and it's got a few things holding it back from its true potential.
  1. It's a Microsoft creation yet Windows Phone is not supported? That'd be like Google releasing Chrome for iOS before its own OS.
  2. It's a Microsoft creation yet it requires Facebook to log in? Why not...oh, I dunno...Windows Live ID? Or...maybe...Google Account since it's only for Android? The Facebook requirement makes NO sense whatsoever.
  3. Doing these things from a computer seems to defeat the purpose of carrying the phone. It'd be better if you could issue commands such as authorized remote wipe, triangulation if you lose it, or whatever.

I agree with 1 and 2, but 3...nah, I'd like to do it on my computer and my phone. For me, the computer seems like it would just be easier to do and faster. Either way though, I won't install it if it requires Facebook, which it does.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
I know people are going to wonder why Microsoft has released this exclusively on Android. I remember reading about this earlier in the week from somewhere, I have to find the source again, but Microsoft developed this as a sorts of a "beta" for their own OS. They chose Android because it was easier to develop an app like this on due to all the available permissions a developer has access to that one wouldn't have if coding on Windows 8. As a distributed objects programmer who focuses squarely on Windows at work and who uses Android at home, I can argue that this makes perfect sense.

But why Facebook? Well here's my guess. Microsoft is used to Windows Live. What other type of login is used worldwide and by a large percentage of Android users? Facebook! Probably came straight from the Project Managers and the developers didn't have a choice. I guess that it has to do with not wanting to create support issues for other Microsoft projects (in this case Windows Live) that stemmed from an Android app, and a self purported "beta" at that.

I did however install the app so I could do a fairly quick comparison between Tasker and this. I would have preferred a different login method but logging into Facebook really isn't that big of a deal (as long as I don't have to use it lol, Friendcaster on my phone gets VERY little use). I do like how this app simplifies some actions that would be rather time consuming to do in Tasker, such as having the weather open on your phone each morning "only" if it's raining or under a certain temperature, etc. It's a bit more user friendly then Tasker but if I need to use an app like this I will just stick with Tasker

I'm sure that the Windows Mobile OS users out there would be very happy with this though, after a little polishing up is done that is. I haven't played with any of the new Metro phones so I don't know if an app like this exists or not already for Windows Mobile (When it comes to Microsoft is hate locking into a specific OS so in this case, I will continue calling any OS on their smartphones "mobile" :) )

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I tried one of Microsoft's programs, or recipes as they call them, and it didn't work. It was supposed to tell me to bring an umbrella if it is going to rain. As soon as I walked out my door, I started feeling drops....

meishkov

Reaction score
I agree with 1 and 2, but 3...nah, I'd like to do it on my computer and my phone. For me, the computer seems like it would just be easier to do and faster. Either way though, I won't install it if it requires Facebook, which it does.

yea what is this crap trying to get me to login to facebook, which would require me to create a fb acct, no thanks. This is really weird that it doesn't work on M$'s own mobile OS?? What in the H is going on here? Maybe all these CEOs are smokin bathsalts and losing their minds.:icon_eek::icon_eek:

revelated

Reaction score

Maybe there's something off with your phone but, setting the alarm on my phone involves opening the Clock app and checking a box. Why do I need to use a computer for that?

If the app could do more than what the phone could do by itself - like I said, triangulate lost phone location or remote wipe or stuff like that - then I would see the value of a computer because you wouldn't have the phone. But this seems like stuff the phone is already designed to do, and given the phone is already on your person, it seems pointless to introduce the computer. That's my opinion though.

Again, if they had features that the phone could NOT do by itself, then there's value.

meishkov

Reaction score
Maybe there's something off with your phone but, setting the alarm on my phone involves opening the Clock app and checking a box. Why do I need to use a computer for that?

If the app could do more than what the phone could do by itself - like I said, triangulate lost phone location or remote wipe or stuff like that - then I would see the value of a computer because you wouldn't have the phone. But this seems like stuff the phone is already designed to do, and given the phone is already on your person, it seems pointless to introduce the computer. That's my opinion though.

Again, if they had features that the phone could NOT do by itself, then there's value.

So true. I have to hit 2 buttons after I turn my screen on to see the weather. As far as finding a lost phone thru a PC I just redownloaded lookout mobile security n turned everything off except the "missing device" feature. As far as on x is concerned I like the concept but tasker does that, but it's not free like.on x. Constantly having the GPS on is a major battery killer tho.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
There are several things that I could see as useful beyond setting my alarm or seeing the weather. I do have my GPS on all the time and am used to its battery use.

tc1

Reaction score
Uhhh... Am I missing something or do you actually have to write CODE to create rules?

meishkov

Reaction score
Uhhh... Am I missing something or do you actually have to write CODE to create rules?

Haha no kidding, the first ever app where u have to personally code it to program it to do exactly what u want. We'll see where this goes.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums