Microsoft Announces the Impending Death of Internet Explorer

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I guess me not being computer savvy enough to know a lot all I can say is FF graphics always looked horrible,I don't like having to do a Google search to find the proper plug in for this or that and it just seemed a mess to me. I tried Chrome several times and it would crash,freeze, slow down to a crawl and was just basically useless for what my family uses our desktop for. IE has never been flashy or exciting but it has always been dependable and consistent for me. If I need a plug, ActiveX or other, in it tells me and tells me where to get it, even takes me there with a single click. That's really all I've ever wanted was stability and ease of use.
Silverlight is all I have to say. It's hogwash. So is Adobe Flash! HtML5, here we come.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Silverlight is all I have to say. It's hogwash. So is Adobe Flash! HtML5, here we come.
For me it's not a big deal because I've pretty much switched to tablets and phones anyway for web surfing but my wife will not be happy and my kids have only ever known IE so they might embrace something new easily and they might not, depending on how easily their favorite sights are accessed.

endrik.einberg

Reaction score
Chrome is a huge memory hog on my PC. I have 12GB of RAM in my work PC, and with all the tabs I keep open, it can easily gobble up 7-8GB of RAM. I moved back to FF for now.

It used to be Chrome was the slimmest browser out there for the PC.
Whaaaaaat? Firefox takes most out of my browser though, and chrome is in the area of 15th-10th

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess me not being computer savvy enough to know a lot all I can say is FF graphics always looked horrible,I don't like having to do a Google search to find the proper plug in for this or that and it just seemed a mess to me. I tried Chrome several times and it would crash,freeze, slow down to a crawl and was just basically useless for what my family uses our desktop for. IE has never been flashy or exciting but it has always been dependable and consistent for me. If I need a plug, ActiveX or other, in it tells me and tells me where to get it, even takes me there with a single click. That's really all I've ever wanted was stability and ease of use.
I've never felt that way, even in earlier builds. Netscape was the "go to" back then. IE has never been remotely impressive to me, especially with the lack of blocking ads.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Used to love Netscape! Haven't been too impressed with any of them since its heyday. ... even though Chrome is my browser of choice, it still needs work. I stopped using Firefox years ago. Agree with the comment that "needing to download a different plugin for anything & everything just to use it" got tiresome.

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually compared browser speeds recently? I have several htpcs running atom processor and Nvidia ion chips. To my surprise ie opens Web pages faster then Chrome and much much faster then Firefox. Yeah it's not noticeable on modern i7 Pcs but on old budget machines it's night and day difference.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't say I'm fully satisfied with either Firefox or Chrome on my PC.....Chrome has issues with flash and video on many sites. Firefox custom privacy settings are more finicky than Chrome. I can't win.

I'm getting turned-off of Google products in general because of the ubiquitous tracking. If you aren't careful to sign out of Chrome or Gmail it seems like it wants to remember you even after reboot. You won't convince me if I'm signed in that Google isn't tracking me even if I've set-up Chrome not to.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I'm guessing the 'death' of IE is more-or-less rebranding from all the bad heat it gets. If it wasn't for Chrome syncing over all my stuff seamlessly from phone to desktop, I might have continued using IE.

Serene

Reaction score
Well, it's high time for Microsoft to get rid of IE and introduce something better,smooth and no frills

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Like others, I liked Netscape back in the day, then moved to FF, and now live and breathe Chrome.

@mountainbikermark's comments about IE just being stable and simple and taking you to download whatever it is that you need for a page to work are funny to me, because that's why I like Chrome. Maybe it's a difference in browsing habits, but my biggest reason for liking Chrome over IE is the lack of toolbars to start with and the lack of crap toolbars added with every little download of another program. Maybe it's not still as big of a problem as it was, but when I go to work on older PC's for friends, I often find a TON of junk toolbars have been added to their IE. That just doesn't happen with Chrome. Sure, you might get a stray extension here or there if you don't read carefully when installing new software, but at least those tend to remain hidden from sight.

I'm all about "Just give me a window to the web." I don't need all the other ugly crap. I'm not sure when the last time you tried Chrome was Mark, but it must've been WAY back, because I haven't had any issues with it like you've mentioned with the exception of the fact that it doesn't seem to want to play sound on embedded youtube videos lately on my Note 4, which still isn't a big deal, because I'd prefer if they'd just open in the YouTube app to begin with when I click them.

To each their own, but I won't miss IE and I hope that this new offering is truly something unique and not just a rebranding to get away from the stigma that the IE name brings with it.