Microsoft: Android Phones Don't Get Updated, They are Buggy and Never Get Patched

alboboy10

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I agree with him on Apple putting updates on phones that can't handle the software. I've seen it with the 3G and 3GS. the iPhone 4 will be next too when iOS 6 comes out. Just wait and see.

Nobody keeps their phones for that long anymore. It may be true that this is an issue but still...he's acting as though Microsoft doesn't have its drawbacks.

Well for one lack of applications. Lack of an interface since everything is a screen with tiles its pointless. Idk where else to go with it cause I never cared for windows phones.

But android and iOS are both leaps ahead of windows.

ambrown

Reaction score
The thing I think is funny about Microsoft is that they keep tying to paint Android as this red headed stepchild that people think of as being weird.

But the reality is that Microsoft is the real red headed stepchild of the mobile industry; just look at who controls market share (Android and IOS) and you see Windows Phone closer to the bottom than Android is. They covet everything Android has and they wish they were in google's place.

Honestly you could turn around and say that Windows Phone has it's own issues to overcome, like getting more developers on board (yes they have developers but not quite the robust communities that Android and IOS can claim), and they are hard pressed to be relevant in an increasingly shrinking market. Think of it, Palm's WebOS is practically dead, Symbian and BlackBerry are rapidly losing ground to Android, and Microsoft is playing catch up after nearly ignoring there mobile industry all together (how long did it take them to create a valid answer to the original iPhone? Yeah, I thought so). Plus having no cut/copy/paste till Mango? Yeah MS, you guys are nothing but industry leaders (sarcasm intended).

In the end I personally don't like Windows Phone because the UI isn't that great and nowhere even close to the customizability of Android.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
You know...I had deep respect for Microsoft's Mobile division until I read this. I'll be honest. At first I thought this was some embellished statement Myerson made while he was addressing the press. However, after he said that, the second question was what really surprised me. The OP is right about Myers trying to be a politician. Didn't even answer the question. How sad.

Oh and 'statistically speaking'....come on. Statistics can't tell you jack. We all know that. The money tells you where things are at.

Microsoft...stop treating things as an afterthought. Worry more about making a great product and keeping up with the market rather than bashing the competition. That is CLEARLY an Apple move, except besides bashing...they just sue. :happy3:

Last edited:

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I just want to thank Microsoft the crappy windows 6 mobile on the samsung omnia made me switch to this new android software on the moto droid and have not looked back since so thank you Microsoft your software has led me to something greater ANDROID!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Blue

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah right, last time I had a MS phone it was orphaned in 3 months. I was told that my phone with 6.5 would get 7, but it didn't, the reason I got it.
Of course the guy at the AT&T store just shrugged.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I actually agree with him. Sure some of the flagship Android phones get frequent updates, but look at all the low/mid range phones, heck even some of the high end ones get very few updates. By the time they do release an update, it's several revisions behind the latest version of the OS. As far as bugs go, I know my Thunderbolt has had NUMEROUS bugs that were never fixed timely, and I believe the SMS bug is still around there on some phones.

As far as Apple goes, they are notorious for releasing software that makes old hardware obsolete. Look at their computer line, you can't run the latest OS on any hardware more then a few years old, even if it is still considered top of the line! This can be understandable if Apple didn't make any new feature or software they create only compatible with the latest OS (iCloud?? Come on, why can't that run on 10.6?) At least Windows XP (which is over 10 years old) still has great support, and pretty much anything currently created still runs on it. As far as the phone goes, the 3GS is really only a few years old, not that long for some people. When I had my iPhone 3G it was speedy, now run a new OS on it and it suddenly becomes extremely slow, with no way to downgrade to an older OS (short of jailbreaking).

Now to be honest I don't know that much about WP7, but what he said about Android and Apple are true.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Nobody keeps their phones for that long anymore. It may be true that this is an issue but still...he's acting as though Microsoft doesn't have its drawbacks.

Well for one lack of applications. Lack of an interface since everything is a screen with tiles its pointless. Idk where else to go with it cause I never cared for windows phones.

But android and iOS are both leaps ahead of windows.

Oh come on, nearly everyone keeps their phone until their upgrade is available.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Oh come on, nearly everyone keeps their phone until their upgrade is available.

Yea but upgrades are available after 18 months now aren't they or is it still two years?

Anyway I don't know I was just saying.

I personally thing androids and iPhones both have their flaws. Androids biggest problem isn't updates its battery. Battery is not consistent at all on them and there is a lot of drain after some time. IPhone doesn't have that issue but it has its own issues. I've never owned an iPhone, I actually switched to att a while back for a week and instead of buying the iPhone of the time which was the 3g I think I purchased an att tilt simply because I always disliked them.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually agree with him. Sure some of the flagship Android phones get frequent updates, but look at all the low/mid range phones, heck even some of the high end ones get very few updates. By the time they do release an update, it's several revisions behind the latest version of the OS. As far as bugs go, I know my Thunderbolt has had NUMEROUS bugs that were never fixed timely, and I believe the SMS bug is still around there on some phones.

As far as Apple goes, they are notorious for releasing software that makes old hardware obsolete. Look at their computer line, you can't run the latest OS on any hardware more then a few years old, even if it is still considered top of the line! This can be understandable if Apple didn't make any new feature or software they create only compatible with the latest OS (iCloud?? Come on, why can't that run on 10.6?) At least Windows XP (which is over 10 years old) still has great support, and pretty much anything currently created still runs on it. As far as the phone goes, the 3GS is really only a few years old, not that long for some people. When I had my iPhone 3G it was speedy, now run a new OS on it and it suddenly becomes extremely slow, with no way to downgrade to an older OS (short of jailbreaking).

Now to be honest I don't know that much about WP7, but what he said about Android and Apple are true.

Your argument, and his, would be more palatable if Microsoft weren't the same or worse in terms of their updates, especially on mobile systems. Posters mentioned never getting upgraded from Mobile 6.5 to 7, I specifically mentioned the issues trying to get 98 software to run on XP, and there were certainly issues as well going from XP to Vista, which was a turd of an OS in and of itself.

Microsoft is an entire set of dark iron cookware calling the pot and kettle black.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^exactly. Microsoft had phones on the old win mo that didnt get updated. Show us differently with wp7 then maybe....maybe they can talk.

Android right now is no different than win mo as far as updates. Do we even know what has, hasnt been updated with wp7?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums