Microsoft and OEMS $200 million marketing push

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Why? Why is no os worth that much? I'm in marketing myself and know for a fact that to get results you have to advertise, the more you advertise the more results you get. It's their money to use how they see fit. If it backfires oh well.

UN-L3ASH3D bionic with th3ory. Posting straight from me to you!!

No OS is worth that much, I already said to each their own.

In the market today I personally feel at least half those dollars would be better spent in R&D.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Says you, who will likely (no offense, just being realistic) never see 200 million dollars.

Microsoft and Samsung, both of which have far more than 200 million dollars, feel it is well worth it.

Says me, this is a forum...you know a place to voice opinions and ideas.

You have no idea how Microsoft or Samsung feel about this campaign or the money being thrown at it.

I will never see 200 million, your correct....

B-Unit

Reaction score
Really? I think its pretty clear, they feel they need to sell more Windows phones and they feel the answer is to throw huge amounts of money at the problem.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Really? I think its pretty clear, they feel they need to sell more Windows phones and they feel the answer is to throw huge amounts of money at the problem.

lol, fair enough

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
No OS is worth that much, I already said to each their own.

In the market today I personally feel at least half those dollars would be better spent in R&D.

Says the Dev! :icon_ lala: I'm with ya man! I definitely think that if companies actually made a good product and didn't spend so much on advertising it would probably sell, maybe even better. Apple definitely has the advertising down pat that's for sure, but their products still aren't all _that_ fantastic! I would love to see companies put more money into making a better product instead of promoting an OK product, I think Google does that well, they don't even hardly advertise, everyone just seems to know Google! =P I really have not seen too many Google ads, (probably because they are the ones making adds for everyone else!) ;)

But back on topic, I like Windows 8 a lot. It's more of a Windows 7 than a Windows mobile. And with the slick Samsung tablets they have now, that run Windows 7 on an i5 processor it will be amazing! I can do full blown graphic design on it! =D I just wish that companies wouldn't be heading so much to a mobile, touchscreen, system. (ie. tiles, ONLY for start menu.) I really do love mobile platforms, but it seems like we're loosing our desktops! ;) Especially now with OSX Lion, what's up with the iOS like application launcher and all the other mobile like tweaks?

Ok... Long rant, I'm tired! :icon_ lala:

akiles

Reaction score
200m is a drop in the bucket for a company with a market cap of over 200b. spread that over a few years and that is nothing. windows is an os with a user base of several million users. over 80%(?) of the world computers run windows. imagine how much money is that in revenue over the lifespan of the product. look at the ipod: it was all adds -millions spent to sell you the idea that if you bought that thing, you'd be cool. the iphone (as much as i despise it) is the right product for those consumers: they do not have the need to flash roms or mess with the buil.prop equivalent.how do they feel about the $200m? -i'm sure pretty good, otherwise they would not have spent that cheddar. something else you are missing, r&d comes from revenue. no sales, no revenue. no ads, no sales. and, financially speaking, r&s is sometimes not added to some projections, while advertising may be.
Says me, this is a forum...you know a place to voice opinions and ideas.

You have no idea how Microsoft or Samsung feel about this campaign or the money being thrown at it.

I will never see 200 million, your correct....