Microsoft and OEMS $200 million marketing push

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jan 4, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

We are going to file this one under Android related because it may just have an impact on Android sales. As a matter of fact, it will have an impact on sales, but how much is yet to be seen. Did I just see all the Android Enthusiast's share a collective eye roll? Of course I did, but hold up and read on.

Paul Thurrotts's WinSupersite has just written an article that blows the doors off the $100 million marketing push by Nokia and Microsoft to get Windows handsets into consumers hands. The truth of the matter is that it's not $100 million or $1.25 million it's a staggering $200 million and that's just in the United States. Nokia is not the only manufacturer jumping onboard. Samsung will contribute funds as well. It's quite clear, Microsoft wants to convince consumers to purchase millions of Windows Phone handsets in the first half of 2012.

It doesn't stop there either. According to the site:

Do you see where are they going with this? Microsoft and it's partners are going to splash onto the smartphone scene like a Tidal Wave. With a huge amount of marketing dollars behind them they just may jump to the forefront very quickly. The Droid series is a perfect example of Marketing dollars pushing a product. It just works. One glaring issue that we find is that consumers may just end up with a phone that isn't right for them, but that's neither here nor there at this time.

Android certainly has a leg up because of it's applications and developer enthusiasm but there is always room for more competition. It's a little too early to predict anything but the platform wars are truly turning into a bloody knockdown dirty street fight.

Via: Winsupersite & Windows Phone Forum
    1 person likes this.
  2. akiles

akiles New Member

This is great news. With some luck, this may help push phone prices down. Am I the only one that thinks $600+ for a handset is ridiculous?
    We may see some developers jumping in too: the development studio is free, just like the android suite -unlike apple's.
  3. metalspring

metalspring New Member

What?? thats like they are basically betraying Google after just releasing Google's flagship Galaxy Nexus...I just dont get why Samsung would do this considering it might take away from the sales of the nexus unless they really feel a windows phone will be better than the GN?
  4. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    It's only a company... They make quite a few Winphones as well! ;)

I'm not going to go with a WindowsPhone probably ever, but I will most likely jump on a Windows 8 tablet! Windows 8 is actually pretty amazing! I have the Win8 beta and its pretty sweet! =D
    1 person likes this.
  5. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

More competition is good. This is exactly the kind of thing needed to kick Android handset makers in the butt.
  6. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Why would Samsung care? Even if sales went down on the NEXUS and up on Windows Phones they're still going to get money. Which is what it comes down to. Samsung is a company and they want to make money. So they'll support multiple Operating Systems so more of their products get pushed out.

They just aren't like Motorola when it comes to OS dedication.
    1 person likes this.
  7. GBH2

GBH2 New Member

Well, good luck to them. I would never count them out with the money they have behind them but what Android had was not only a big marketing push with money behind them BUT a massive hole in the market left by Microsoft abandoning Windows Mobile, RIM's ineptitude in bringing out competitive products and Apple with a totally locked down ecosystem. with Windows phone, Microsoft is trying to push a product with most of Apple's negatives and none of the positives. Maybe they have enough money to trick [strike]stupid[/strike], uninformed people into buying their products.
  8. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I'd like to get a Winphone for my work phone. I hear its actually a very nice OS for phones.
  9. akiles

akiles New Member

Windows8 is actually pretty cool -at least on a tablet. I'm writing this from an iconia w500 with win8 dev preview and I'm blown away in spite of the ugly tiles. In fact, since I got this 2 weeks ago, I haven't touched my a500. You can get win8 to boot on 64mb of ram. Battery longevity is still an issue but considering all the background services is not too bad (4-6hrs). So far this thing has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it with no complains, including dev studio 10. Tried fedora but the lack of drivers and poor batt life (2hrs) made me abandoned it (a shame because it looks and feels better than Ubuntu by far.) I do freely admit I am a windows fan boy (been using it since 2.1 maybe? -when you had to c:\windows\win.exe to start it.) It was such a nice change from my dad's beloved macII, which I despised as a child...
  10. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Difference being Droid devices are worth the marketing dollars that were spent, with Windows 8 I would say not so much...but each to his or her own.
  11. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

have you used windows 8? the problem is everyone is basing their ideas of windows 8 off of old windows mobile... which was garbage for sure. Windows 8 is completely rebuilt and made to match with current generation.
  12. scott craft

scott craft Member

I really think this is going to lead to better phones for you android guys. This time next year Verizon and AT&T both will have the iPhone at three price points and there should be high and low end windows phones for sale. This should force manufacturers of android phones, especially Motorola, to make better phones to keep their sales. Sounds like a win for everyone to me.
    As far as those who buy windows phones being stupid and uninformed, I would say it's the other way around. Go to a Verizon store to shop for a phone with no idea what you want and odds are you end up with an android. Most carriers discourage customers from windows phone, so those who have a windows phone have probably researched what they want.
    Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express
  13. prime

No operating system is worth a 200 million dollar ad campaign.

Yes Windows 8 is an improvement, yes I beta tested.
  14. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Says you, who will likely (no offense, just being realistic) never see 200 million dollars.

Microsoft and Samsung, both of which have far more than 200 million dollars, feel it is well worth it.
  15. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

Why? Why is no os worth that much? I'm in marketing myself and know for a fact that to get results you have to advertise, the more you advertise the more results you get. It's their money to use how they see fit. If it backfires oh well.

UN-L3ASH3D bionic with th3ory. Posting straight from me to you!!
  16. prime

No OS is worth that much, I already said to each their own.

In the market today I personally feel at least half those dollars would be better spent in R&D.
  17. prime

Says me, this is a forum...you know a place to voice opinions and ideas.

You have no idea how Microsoft or Samsung feel about this campaign or the money being thrown at it.

I will never see 200 million, your correct....
  18. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Really? I think its pretty clear, they feel they need to sell more Windows phones and they feel the answer is to throw huge amounts of money at the problem.
  19. prime

lol, fair enough
  20. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Says the Dev! :icon_ lala: I'm with ya man! I definitely think that if companies actually made a good product and didn't spend so much on advertising it would probably sell, maybe even better. Apple definitely has the advertising down pat that's for sure, but their products still aren't all _that_ fantastic! I would love to see companies put more money into making a better product instead of promoting an OK product, I think Google does that well, they don't even hardly advertise, everyone just seems to know Google! =P I really have not seen too many Google ads, (probably because they are the ones making adds for everyone else!) ;)

But back on topic, I like Windows 8 a lot. It's more of a Windows 7 than a Windows mobile. And with the slick Samsung tablets they have now, that run Windows 7 on an i5 processor it will be amazing! I can do full blown graphic design on it! =D I just wish that companies wouldn't be heading so much to a mobile, touchscreen, system. (ie. tiles, ONLY for start menu.) I really do love mobile platforms, but it seems like we're loosing our desktops! ;) Especially now with OSX Lion, what's up with the iOS like application launcher and all the other mobile like tweaks?

Ok... Long rant, I'm tired! :icon_ lala: