Microsoft and OEMS $200 million marketing push

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
windows8.jpeg

We are going to file this one under Android related because it may just have an impact on Android sales. As a matter of fact, it will have an impact on sales, but how much is yet to be seen. Did I just see all the Android Enthusiast's share a collective eye roll? Of course I did, but hold up and read on.

Paul Thurrotts's WinSupersite has just written an article that blows the doors off the $100 million marketing push by Nokia and Microsoft to get Windows handsets into consumers hands. The truth of the matter is that it's not $100 million or $1.25 million it's a staggering $200 million and that's just in the United States. Nokia is not the only manufacturer jumping onboard. Samsung will contribute funds as well. It's quite clear, Microsoft wants to convince consumers to purchase millions of Windows Phone handsets in the first half of 2012.

It doesn't stop there either. According to the site:

Included in the plan are sales incentives for retail workers, aimed at getting them to finally start recommending Windows Phone as an alternative to Android and iPhone. The amount of payments are $10 to $15 per handset sold, depending on the number sold, for some handset models.

Do you see where are they going with this? Microsoft and it's partners are going to splash onto the smartphone scene like a Tidal Wave. With a huge amount of marketing dollars behind them they just may jump to the forefront very quickly. The Droid series is a perfect example of Marketing dollars pushing a product. It just works. One glaring issue that we find is that consumers may just end up with a phone that isn't right for them, but that's neither here nor there at this time.

Android certainly has a leg up because of it's applications and developer enthusiasm but there is always room for more competition. It's a little too early to predict anything but the platform wars are truly turning into a bloody knockdown dirty street fight.

Via: Winsupersite & Windows Phone Forum

akiles

Reaction score
This is great news. With some luck, this may help push phone prices down. Am I the only one that thinks $600+ for a handset is ridiculous?
We may see some developers jumping in too: the development studio is free, just like the android suite -unlike apple's.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung will contribute funds as well
What?? thats like they are basically betraying Google after just releasing Google's flagship Galaxy Nexus...I just dont get why Samsung would do this considering it might take away from the sales of the nexus unless they really feel a windows phone will be better than the GN?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
What?? thats like they are basically betraying Google after just releasing Google's flagship Galaxy Nexus...I just dont get why Samsung would do this considering it might take away from the sales of the nexus unless they really feel a windows phone will be better than the GN?

It's only a company... They make quite a few Winphones as well! ;)

I'm not going to go with a WindowsPhone probably ever, but I will most likely jump on a Windows 8 tablet! Windows 8 is actually pretty amazing! I have the Win8 beta and its pretty sweet! =D

NoBloatware

Reaction score
More competition is good. This is exactly the kind of thing needed to kick Android handset makers in the butt.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

Why would Samsung care? Even if sales went down on the NEXUS and up on Windows Phones they're still going to get money. Which is what it comes down to. Samsung is a company and they want to make money. So they'll support multiple Operating Systems so more of their products get pushed out.

They just aren't like Motorola when it comes to OS dedication.

GBH2

Reaction score
Well, good luck to them. I would never count them out with the money they have behind them but what Android had was not only a big marketing push with money behind them BUT a massive hole in the market left by Microsoft abandoning Windows Mobile, RIM's ineptitude in bringing out competitive products and Apple with a totally locked down ecosystem. with Windows phone, Microsoft is trying to push a product with most of Apple's negatives and none of the positives. Maybe they have enough money to trick [strike]stupid[/strike], uninformed people into buying their products.

akiles

Reaction score
Windows8 is actually pretty cool -at least on a tablet. I'm writing this from an iconia w500 with win8 dev preview and I'm blown away in spite of the ugly tiles. In fact, since I got this 2 weeks ago, I haven't touched my a500. You can get win8 to boot on 64mb of ram. Battery longevity is still an issue but considering all the background services is not too bad (4-6hrs). So far this thing has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it with no complains, including dev studio 10. Tried fedora but the lack of drivers and poor batt life (2hrs) made me abandoned it (a shame because it looks and feels better than Ubuntu by far.) I do freely admit I am a windows fan boy (been using it since 2.1 maybe? -when you had to c:\windows\win.exe to start it.) It was such a nice change from my dad's beloved macII, which I despised as a child...

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The Droid series is a perfect example of Marketing dollars pushing a product. It just works.

Difference being Droid devices are worth the marketing dollars that were spent, with Windows 8 I would say not so much...but each to his or her own.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Difference being Droid devices are worth the marketing dollars that were spent, with Windows 8 I would say not so much...but each to his or her own.
have you used windows 8? the problem is everyone is basing their ideas of windows 8 off of old windows mobile... which was garbage for sure. Windows 8 is completely rebuilt and made to match with current generation.

scott craft

Reaction score
I really think this is going to lead to better phones for you android guys. This time next year Verizon and AT&T both will have the iPhone at three price points and there should be high and low end windows phones for sale. This should force manufacturers of android phones, especially Motorola, to make better phones to keep their sales. Sounds like a win for everyone to me.
As far as those who buy windows phones being stupid and uninformed, I would say it's the other way around. Go to a Verizon store to shop for a phone with no idea what you want and odds are you end up with an android. Most carriers discourage customers from windows phone, so those who have a windows phone have probably researched what they want.
Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
have you used windows 8? the problem is everyone is basing their ideas of windows 8 off of old windows mobile... which was garbage for sure. Windows 8 is completely rebuilt and made to match with current generation.

No operating system is worth a 200 million dollar ad campaign.

Yes Windows 8 is an improvement, yes I beta tested.

B-Unit

Reaction score

Says you, who will likely (no offense, just being realistic) never see 200 million dollars.

Microsoft and Samsung, both of which have far more than 200 million dollars, feel it is well worth it.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

Why? Why is no os worth that much? I'm in marketing myself and know for a fact that to get results you have to advertise, the more you advertise the more results you get. It's their money to use how they see fit. If it backfires oh well.

UN-L3ASH3D bionic with th3ory. Posting straight from me to you!!