MicroSD card problem, intermittent :(

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Palantirion, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

I bought a 32Gb Card from Amazon, copied my old card's data to it, installed it and booted up my Droid (running 2.2 + Zeam, rooted). Everything worked fine, even apps installed to my SD card. Then, later, I noticed that my phone took FOREVER to mount the SD card when hooked up to my computer, and would randomly unmount itself during transfers. It got to the point where it would be faster to shut off the phone and pull the card to transfer files to it. (My wife's droid has the same Zeam setup but isn't rooted and has the factory 16Gb card, and still operates with no problems.) Most recently after rebooting (to get rid of the most recent OS update message) my phone refuses to see apps the card (it finds pics and vids in non-stock locations). Occasionally it would see the card and load apps, but only after a couple minutes after bootup. Most often it will load no apps from the card.

Any ideas of what is going on? Could this be related to the most recent OTM update?
  2. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Can't say with any certainty, but could it be the type of memory you purchased? Sometimes, what looks like a good bargain online can turn into problems later on. And cheaper brands can sometimes have a short life span. I experienced that with an extended life Droid battery (got maybe 30 days - if that).

It may also be suffering from fragmentation. Rather than try to explain it myself, the very bottom of this link will do a good job. http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/ I'm starting to wonder if mine is having this problem. While I have the original card gotten with my phone, it sometimes takes maybe 5 minutes or so to access mine?

I'm also wondering if heat can ruin an SD card. My phone gets very hot sometimes on a car charger and the SD card sits right at the hottest part.

Just throwing some options out there and maybe someone else can jump in with more info?
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

If you have the time and wnat to know for certainty if the card has problems there is a program I use on all my cards to verify the integrity of the card itself. The program is called h2testw.

Download H2testw 1.4 Free - Check your USB for errors with this tool. - Softpedia

This is one link to the program, if you google you can find tons. The program was made by a German individual, but can be had/run in english. When used it will/can be configured to write/read/verify every sector on any sd card type. It takes a very long time to test a 32gig card, but the program does work. I have used it to troubleshoot other cards of mine that have errors.

I too bought my 32 from Amazon. The packaging said sandisk, bulk packaging. The other thing that was recommened in many places is to format the card on the pc and not the phone. I did this, ran the check program to verify my card had no bad sectors. This may not cure your problem, but can at least rule out bad card sectors.

Craig
  4. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

-Thanks for the link, I'll check it out asap. I think we have the exact same card, so it's good to know that it's working consistently for another user.

Any chance that the most recent Froyo update (which seems to randomly re-assert itself in notifications, as it's blocked by Nandroid on bootup) is mucking up my SD apps?
  5. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

I do not have apps on my sd card, but I do have an issue with my 32. None of the recoveries play very well with it. I generally have to reboot into recovery several times to get a proper "stick" where recovery will stay and propery report mounting my sd properly. My card does not have errors, and does movies, photos and music just fine, just recovery issues. If you want to troubleshoot for sure, try what you are doing with your 16. If the 32 checks out with the program I linked, and your 16 works with your apps to sd, then that kinda points to some compatibility issues with the 32 and your phone and/or rom. I have the one posted, but it is not fatal, just inconvenient sometimes.

There are very few threads with issues describing the 32g card, and I am sure their are boatloads of folks using them, so I have kinda concluded that the problems may not be systematic across the boards, just some phones and some cards. My best guess.

Craig
  6. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

I swapped back to my 16Gb card and all apps loaded fine. Ran fine for a couple days, with the update notification bugging me. I just "allowed" the update, which then got blocked during reboot by nandroid, and now - WITH the OEM card - my SD-installed apps are not showing up.
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Pal,

That is goofy. While I am rooted, it is my understanding that any version of Froyo has apps to sd native and proper. I know I had one or two that worked on the rom version of Froyo I ran. i would tend to think that if your phone will play your sd card music or photos that this would rule out some kind of wierd mount issue, with the 16 or 32. I guess you could either try reinstalling the apps, or even move back to the phone, check functionality then move back to your card. Dunno, kinda strange.

Craig
  8. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

-Is it possible that the update being blocked is triggering an event that keeps apps from being read properly from the SD card? Like that part of the card is waiting for a process to finish? They still show up under management, but I can't access them or change their details (like move to phone). I've been considering the update to be allowed to finish, but I don't want to lose root and have to reroot again.
  9. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Pal,

The nuances here are certainly over my pay grade. But I am a little confused about the update situation. If you are on a custom rom of any kind, and getting the update notification constantly then you do need to do something about it. What has happened to folks is they get the notification and the ota attempts to download in the background. They dismiss it and the cycle repeats.

The "fix" if you have either Clockwork Recovery or SPRecovery is to accept the update, and either recovery will block the installation for good (it will fail) and then you will not be bothered with it anymore. The caveats are that this has historically worked with CW and SPR, this is for a Droid1 for sure and this has worked with previous OTA's. If you are getting OTA's I would research that some to confirm you can block it properly. I am not up to speed on the current OTA situation, other than seeing some folks mention a maintenace release is either out there now or close.

We have to remember that VZW/Moto can manipulate this OTA, controlling how it will update, and what would or would not break it. In the past the update had to read the otacerts.zip file, and CW and SPR would block it. The current one, dunno.

Craig
  10. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

I have a pretty good recollection that OG does not like having a 32 shoved into it. Just too big.
  11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Dances,

This is absolutely not true as a generality. The phone is spec'd for the 32 and mine has been running with one for quite a few months. The only problem I have been seeing is recovery needing two or so attempts at loading, then things are fine for recovery. But, since installing Raidzero's recovery even that little glich has not surfaced for a few days. So on my phone (D1) my sandsk 32 is perfect. This does not mean some folks will not have issues, but as a blanket "no go" I am not seeing that.

Craig
  12. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

-It's SPRecovery (non Nandroid, sorry) that I have and what is blocking the update installation. I'll accept the update, SPR will block it, the phone will reboot and only apps on the phone will be available (although all other info on SD card is available), and at least with the 16Gb card (the 32Gb SD worked too when I first installed it) the apps on SD will eventually be available but this takes days to a week - so long that it is difficult to distinguish the cause. The OTA update notification will come back too, in a few days or a week. I have not seen a direct correlation between the return of the update notification and access to SD apps.

p.s. Last night, after not using my phone for several hours after my last post here, I went to set the alarm and discovered that the apps on SD are all working again. No idea why. 16Gb card at the moment.
  13. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

Today the update message has returned. No other changes to phone.
  14. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

pal,

I would suggest specifically asking in the forum of the maker of your rom about the update issue. I am a little behind on what is happening with froyo (I am assuming that is what you are running) as I have been playing with GB for the last couple of weeks. If there is a new maintenance release rolling around now, the members in that forum should know how to deal with it. Historically allowing the update to load and be blocked by recovery would cure most instances. Maybe something more robust about this latest update?

Craig
  15. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

An update:
    I found this website: Methods known to fix SD card issues – mounting, unmounting, freezing, locking, etc | Android Phones Tips and Tricks
    ...and went through his SD card format procedure. Then I copied everything back over from my 16Gb card and booted up. Still the same problem with apps. Woke up this morning, the phone asked me to update it again. So I did, SPR blocked it, booted up. Still no SD apps. But I wanted to see if it was reading the other media so I opened up the gallery. This took a LONG time (5+ min) to fully load (because of the SD card size?) even though it's the same media as on my 16Gb. But it did all load. Then I checked the apps bin and all of the SD apps are now accessible!
  16. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

I too was having issues with my 32GB SD card not playing nice with my PEv4.2 Rom. I've heard on other forums that CWM Backups will mess up the card somehow.

I formatted the card with my Droid, and another time on my Computer. Both times after i reloaded the previous data from my other SD it would either say SD Card Error or go into a Reboot Loop.

:confused:
  17. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

What seems to have fixed my issues with recovery mounting my card is to switch recoveries. I am running Raidzero's recovery. He is up to 2.0 now, and I am still running a slightly older version, 0.1.7. I have 2.0 downloaded, but have yet to install to see if it is still fixed. I am definately fixed on 0.1.7.

Craig
  18. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

What is the process for switching from SBR to Raidzero? And is it a standalone recover, or a ROM that also affects home screen usage?
  19. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

pal,

It is in Raidzero's rom section here on DF.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

You download the .zip file and flash as you would any zip file with your current recovery. If you are using CWR it will flash the file but in rom manager it will not report that you are using RZR. You can flash back to CWR from RM, but RM just does not confirm that you are on it. You will know when you boot to recovery the first time.

It is also supposed to be able to restore recoveries made with CW, but obviously once you flash it it would be best to make a new backup. And as it is based originally off SPR, your recoveries go in the nandroid subdirectory on your sd card.

Craig

pal,

I forgot to address. It is only your recovery. No affect on your rom etc.
  20. Palantirion

Palantirion New Member

*UPDATE*
    I reformatted my 32Gb card and checked it with no data. Phone runs noticeably faster and I can install apps to it (previously it would hang). Then I added back my music and pics. Still works fine. Then I added a few SD-installed apps. They are found soon after bootup! So I added more...so far so good. Then I encountered a section of apps in \.android_secure whose filename doesn't start with "com." They would start with .dev, .mobi. org, etc. I added them in a few sections and each chunk of apps resulted in ALL apps being not found after bootup. If I removed those apps then the others would be found. I haven't had the time yet to add them one at a time to see if some non-com. apps will let the SD card work properly.
Search tags for this page
android check sd card integrity
android moded phone wont find sd card intermittently

android sd card integrity check

android sd card intermittent
app check micro sd card integrity

how can i check micro sd card integrity

micro sd card heat problem

micro sd card wont show up on droid x2

microsd card integrity

sd card intermittent
verify integrity damaged sd card