Micro SD partitioned

pjo1966

Reaction score
Before I activated my RAZR MAXX I installed the Micro SD from my Thunderbolt (32gb). When I activated the phone it created a new partition. I want to get rid of the partition and just use the Thunderbolt card. What's the best way to achieve this? I also need to do a factory reboot for other reasons, so I'm looking for a way to wipe, the SD card, reactivate, and copy the backed up contents from the SD card back onto it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I prefer to move files one at a time from (my files), its pretty easy, just time consuming. Open my files, tap sdcard, tap the options key, select multiple, now select the files you want moved, tap move, tap the top of the screen and select home, select internal storage and tap move again. (Edit the name of the files so you can identify them easily, I put s in front of mine, then I edit it back out when I'm done.)

SD explorer will be your best bet to move the files over to your sdcard in the device. Quick tip, razr/maxx is different than you think. You have two SD cards, the removable one is called sdcard-ext.

So move the files off of the 32gb sdcard-ext to the internal storage.

Format the 32 gb SD card by going into settings, storage, scroll down to sdcard, select unmount, format sdcard. It will remount the sdcard.

Now transfer the files with
Your file explorer program.

Now go back into settings, privacy, factory data reset, now its important that you DONT select erase sdcard. follow the prompts and you should be good.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
P

pjo1966

Reaction score
I prefer to move files one at a time from (my files), its pretty easy, just time consuming. Open my files, tap sdcard, tap the options key, select multiple, now select the files you want moved, tap move, tap the top of the screen and select home, select internal storage and tap move again. (Edit the name of the files so you can identify them easily, I put s in front of mine, then I edit it back out when I'm done.)

SD explorer will ve your best bet to move the files over to your sdcard in the device. Quick tip, razr/maxx is different than you think. You have two SD cards, the removable one is called sdcard-ext.

So move the files off of the 32gb sdcard-ext to the internal storage.

Format the 32 gb SD card by going into settings, storage, scroll down to sdcard, select unmount, format sdcard. It will remount the sdcard.

Now transfer the files with
Your file explorer program.

Now go back into settings, privacy, factory data reset, now its important that you DONT select erase sdcard. follow the prompts and you should be good.

It looks like what I thought was a partitioned card was actually the internal and the removable cards. I looked at Disk Utility on my Mac with the phone plugged in. One "partition" is 31.91gb and the other is 8.6. I guess that's just the way it's supposed to be. So the follow-up question is, how do I have the RAZR see the external as the primary card to access data from?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
really you can't. You can set your media sync to SD card, but that's it for right now. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Some apps can be Moved to the media area, and data can be transferred to the sdcard-ext. But there's no way to directly save right to the sdcard-ext.

OP
P

pjo1966

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. By explaining the two cards, you've pointed me in the right direction. I'll figure out what needs to be moved and what needs to stay.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. By explaining the two cards, you've pointed me in the right direction. I'll figure out what needs to be moved and what needs to stay.

No problem, glad I could help :)