micro hdmi + usb charge = any room?

jakebot

Reaction score
As far as room goes does anybody know what micro hdmi cable can be used with the usb charge cable? I'm worried about running out of room and not being able to charge while running netflix.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my Droid X and Xoom they both fit fine. Its a standard miniHDMI to HDMI cable and the stock charger.

SallyC

Reaction score
As far as room goes does anybody know what micro hdmi cable can be used with the usb charge cable? I'm worried about running out of room and not being able to charge while running netflix.

I have used these HDMI and USB cables at the same time without problems, if that's what you mean.

I think Droid-Xer meant to say they are standard micro (not mini) HDMI & USB cables.

OP
J

jakebot

Reaction score
It's just that it's so close together I just didn't want to spend $10 on a cable and it not be able to charge and play. I think I may just do it anyway. Figured I would post here and see what you folks thought. Hopefully some Razr owners will chime in here that know of known fitting cables.

http://static.arstechnica.com/10-18-2011/droid_razr_top.jpg

SallyC

Reaction score
It's just that it's so close together I just didn't want to spend $10 on a cable and it not be able to charge and play. I think I may just do it anyway. Figured I would post here and see what you folks thought. Hopefully some Razr owners will chime in here that know of known fitting cables.

http://static.arstechnica.com/10-18-2011/droid_razr_top.jpg

Right. The cables I linked to on Amazon (about $18 the pair) both fit my Droid Razr at the same time. No problem charging and using HDMI together.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
J

jakebot

Reaction score
Right. The cables I linked to on Amazon (about $18 the pair) both fit my Droid Razr at the same time. No problem charging and using HDMI together.

Honestly I didn't notice your links. However the HDMI I ended up buying off ebay looks thinner on the end than the one you bought so I should be fine. It would be a better idea to make them farther apart as to avoid uncertainty. Anyway, thanks for your responses.

SallyC

Reaction score
The OP was asking if, from a room perspective, both HDMI & USB could be plugged in and my links were just examples that I knew worked. But they are not intended to be examples of the least expensive. Part of the cost will be how long do you want the cable to be and features such as gold plated and transmission speeds. He's going to have to evaluate that as well depending on his situation.

monkey_man

Reaction score
I am able to use both cables (HDMI+USB charger) fine. The gap is designed so that both cables can fit in well. As I have experienced with Monster Cables, their head casing is bigger than the rest, so I can see why someone would think that the HDMI cable could block the USB charger. On a side note, charging your phone while watching movie is not as effective as you would like it to be. Phone will charge only when they battery is not hot, and the charger that came with the phone used small mA that resulted in slow charge or even losing battery power while in use.