Mic not working, help!

cptnjack

Reaction score
My og droid took a small spill and now the only way I can use my phone is by using speaker phone. Does this make sense to anyone shouldnt regular phone calls and speaker use the same mic? Any help would be great. I am running cm7 and did a battery pull but no help.
Thanks

OP
C

cptnjack

Reaction score
My og droid took a small spill and now the only way I can use my phone is by using speaker phone. Does this make sense to anyone shouldnt regular phone calls and speaker use the same mic? Any help would be great. I am running cm7 and did a battery pull but no help.<br>Thanks

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, it doesn't make sense.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

sjackson007

Reaction score
Mine stopped working 2 months ago. I tried to flash back to 2.1 and still mic only works on speaker phone. Rerooted now running project elite still the same. Ive been using my Bluetooth waiting for the nexus.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

verizonlady

Reaction score
You might try a master reset-make sure your info's backed up. A lot of times it can be it can be an app that is causing one mic not to work. If the master reset doesn't work-you can call into Verizon with no troubleshooting and get it replaced, provided its still under the one year manufacturer's warranty.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Factory Data Reset is what you want. It is in menu/settings/privacy. While in Privacy make sure Backup and Restore are checked.

After the phone restarts and you have logged back into your gmail account be sure to answer yes to "backup and restore by google" questions. Lately Google has been very good about restoring all my apps (paid and free). Some phone settings are even being restored.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
C

cptnjack

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys but nothing has worked.

verizonlady

Reaction score
If the phones not horribly damaged from the spill, as long as your under that one year manufacturers warranty I would try calling into Verizon Wireless. Advise them you already did a factory data reset and it did not work. They can tell if you've done a factory data reset by looking at your account-the over the air programming will show. But as long as its within the year warranty and the phones not physically cracked or damaged they have to replace it.

knownotknow

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I've been doing a LOT of research on this problem over the last month and have found a LOT of these types of threads that span over a year. The results are always the same: the thread withers into oblivion without resolution. People who don't have the problem make the same suggestions (I've yet to see an original suggested course of action that ended in resolution).

Here's the breakdown of what is going on (in simplest terms): microphone does not work except on speaker phone.

The stories are generally all the same: 1. get the phone, use it for a short time 2. calls begin sounding scratchy 3. shortly after that people no longer hear and the owner of the device hears, "hello? Hello?" 4. owner discovers that speaker phone, bluetooth and headsets do work (speaker phone is what we're interested in though) 5. posts issue on internet forums and tries every suggestion to no avail 6. lives with a phone that operates as a phone only when on speaker phone (which always works perfectly btw)

My first theory is, my research on the issue indicates that the problem is not hardware related, not (directly) a downloaded app, but in the OS itself. Everybody has tried: removing apps; nothing -- power downs/battery pulls; nothing -- factory resets; nothing -- everything else; nothing. There has to be somebody out there that develops for Android OS that can look at this and think it is worth looking into.

The one piece of evidence that seems to debunk my first theory is that the problem actually seems to target people. People who have gotten replacements still have the same problem occur, even if the replacement is an entirely different brand/model. This could suggest (and this is my theory number two) that the commonality is a specific app that when downloaded and installed, causes internal muting to become set, but not unset, permanently (remember, removing the app doesn't solve it and neither does factory reset).

With either theory, it seems to me that the problem is with the OS (it shouldn't be that easy to have a permanent effect on an OS caused by an app).

Anyway, there's my take on this issue. How frustrating. :/

droid0305

Reaction score
I had this same problem for a while and I also dropped my phone about 2 months ago... the issue started about 2 weeks ago. I was VERY frustrated with Verizon and Motorola because they said my warrantee was voided with the chip on the phone from the drop. I noticed though that a system upgrade was sent to my phone 3 days ago and now my mic works again all of the sudden! Perhaps there is a "fix" finally being sent out and I hope the same happens to you!!! Hopefully I don't find it a reoccurring problem in a few more days either... GOOD LUCK!

SkyZ

Reaction score
I had the same problem the mic didn't work except on speakerphone

I used the louder volume hack 3.6, backed up my original files and loaded the V6r2 and the hs+ic3 and it was fixed.

GadgetPioneer

Reaction score
What is V6r2?

I had the same problem the mic didn't work except on speakerphone

I used the louder volume hack 3.6, backed up my original files and loaded the V6r2 and the hs+ic3 and it was fixed.

What is V6r2 and hs+ic3

SkyZ

Reaction score
Its one of the options on the program but Nvm found out it was just my dsp manager force closing that was the issue I cleared data and seems to be holding up.. for now.

xXTheDroidXx

Reaction score
My og droid took a small spill and now the only way I can use my phone is by using speaker phone. Does this make sense to anyone shouldnt regular phone calls and speaker use the same mic? Any help would be great. I am running cm7 and did a battery pull but no help.<br>Thanks
All you have to do to fix this is (this is what I do):

Step 1:
Take a set of headphones (Apple is the best one's for this job! :p)

Step 2:
Cut off the plug on your Apple headphones. (Told you!)

Step 3:
Plug the plug into your headset jack on your Droid OG.

Step 4:
Make a call!

It does NOT make sense, but I figured it out one day when useing skype on my wifi. Then my freind could not hear me, I plugged headphones in to listen to music, then my other freind called me on skype and WALA! it heard him from the phone and he coule hear me thru the MIC.
Thanks for reading my post!

Subscribe to my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/minecraftuser1000

GarrMatey

Reaction score
[SOLVED] mic not working

All you have to do to fix this is (this is what I do):

Step 1:
Take a set of headphones (Apple is the best one's for this job! :p)

Step 2:
Cut off the plug on your Apple headphones. (Told you!)

Step 3:
Plug the plug into your headset jack on your Droid OG.

Step 4:
Make a call!

It does NOT make sense, but I figured it out one day when useing skype on my wifi. Then my freind could not hear me, I plugged headphones in to listen to music, then my other freind called me on skype and WALA! it heard him from the phone and he coule hear me thru the MIC.
Thanks for reading my post!

Subscribe to my youtube channel: minecraftuser1000 - YouTube

Oh My GOODNESS! You're a freakin GENIUS, even though you have no idea why it works!
The headphone port has three connectors: one for left ear, one for right ear, one for mic.
If you have a headset with microphones plugged in, it reroutes all three to that output. In this mode, however, if you turn speaker phone on, it will reroute to your speaker-phone function.

Now, if something happens inside that port, something falls in for example, the phone would think that you have a mic plugged in. The top two connectors remain untouched, so it doesn't think you have headphones plugged in, and that's why it doesn't reroute the sound. However, the bottom connection is shorted, so it thinks you have a mic plugged in, thus turning off the phone's mic. Now people can't hear you.

This explains why it happens to PEOPLE, and is software/os/hardware independent. People have habits. I listen to a lot of music, and this problem has been happening off and on for a while now. I've found that if I clean out the headphone port, the problem goes away.

Thank you thank you! It DOES make sense!