MHL Adapter/Charging issues

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
How are these working out for people? I picked up the official Samsung MHL adapter and have mixed feelings so far. It works pretty well most of the time. However, the video output cuts out randomly and the battery doesn't produce a positive charge while connected. I recently learned this is due to the fact that most MHL adapters will only allow a 500mA charge. I tested this by watching Netflix, checking email and doing some web browsing. After 30 minutes, my 100% battery was now down to 80%. That's crazy. How do they expect us to use this for extended periods? Essentially I would have a dead battery in less than an hour and a half. I wouldn't even make it through one Netflix movie.

Anyway, has anyone found an MHL adapter that actually produces a positive charge while in use? If not, I guess I'll wait for the mythical dock that uses the pogo pins, if it ever sees the light of day.

6-Speed

Reaction score
I bought my mhl adapter from mono price. So far it works great, other than the video randomly cutting out like you mentioned, even though it is very brief it can get a bit annoying. When I look at my battery stats it says "charging USB". So it does limit the power to charge the battery. I haven't played with it enough to see the battery lose life, but it definitely wasn't charging as fast as it should. I'm curious to see what sprint is going to offer. I wonder who is going to have accessories that take advantage of the pins out first.

sent from my super awesome gummy'd nexus

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought my mhl adapter from mono price. So far it works great, other than the video randomly cutting out like you mentioned, even though it is very brief it can get a bit annoying. When I look at my battery stats it says "charging USB". So it does limit the power to charge the battery. I haven't played with it enough to see the battery lose life, but it definitely wasn't charging as fast as it should. I'm curious to see what sprint is going to offer. I wonder who is going to have accessories that take advantage of the pins out first.

sent from my super awesome gummy'd nexus

Yeah, it sucks. As long as it says "charging USB" we're screwed. If anyone comes across one that says AC charging, please post where you got it.

cleevis

Reaction score
I ordered one through best buy a few days ago, and used it for the first time last night. Watched a ninety minute movie with only a few issues. Battery was not one of them. Signal was. I don't get great reception in my house. The gfs bionic does much better without any buffering. But it kills her battery without being on the charger, and when on it gets really hot. I did notice a lot of heat on my gnex.

cleevis

Reaction score
Am trying to find thread referring to better radios that I read this morning. Might try installing them and seeing if there is any improvement.

Ziocomposite

Reaction score
I know this is a little old but I've found a way to charge/watch @ the same time that I just tested out on my newly acquired MHL adapter.

1. Must be rooted
2. Run a kernel that has "fast charge" aka francokernel
3. Enable "fast charge" then watch/charge @ the same time.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this is a little old but I've found a way to charge/watch @ the same time that I just tested out on my newly acquired MHL adapter.

1. Must be rooted
2. Run a kernel that has "fast charge" aka francokernel
3. Enable "fast charge" then watch/charge @ the same time.

Yeah, I was wondering about fast charge. I'm running francokernel. How do you enable fast charge? Do you have to have his kernel updater? Or can you enable it in terminal?

Ziocomposite

Reaction score
I downloaded his app to enable it/support him. I use his kernel primarily with dtheory's from and she runs superbly. I've seen quotes of how to enable via terminal but haven't tried it that way.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I downloaded his app to enable it/support him. I use his kernel primarily with dtheory's from and she runs superbly. I've seen quotes of how to enable via terminal but haven't tried it that way.

Alright, thanks. I'll search through his kernel threads to see if I can figure it out.

Reaction score
I'll charge mine tonight, then have a go at it with my HTC MHL adapter i bought at radioshack. Isn't a charge was possible if you turn the screen brightness down?

duozhuchen

Reaction score
I think it is not the battery problem causes.Can replace the battery test or adapter test.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Another potential issue: Even if you enable 'Fast Charge' with a rooted phone and set up kernel, you're still running that current through the MHL adapter. It may internally limit the phone to half an amp, or less, which means you're still going to consume more power than you're going to recharge.

Which makes me think I should try this tonight and see what really happens...