metamorph 101

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by budmonster, Mar 28, 2010.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Are there any guides online for metamorph. I want to learn how to theme/mod using mm but i cant find any good tutorials. I want to learn about .thm files and to edit them, etc. You get the point.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

How to MetaMorph/Theme - xda-developers <-- that looks like a decent writeup.

Personally I learned by looking at someones already made theme, there really isn't much to them (the thm file that is).
  3. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Im just looking for an easier way to change the icons in the launcher. Its a pain having to pull the apk, find the icon, replace it, then push it back to the phone. I have to do that for every icon. I also dont know anything about thm files.

I also want to learn how to customize my notification bar, changing the battery, the icons, etc.
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

The icons for apps generally are in their own apk. I believe the only one in the launcher is the folder icon.

As far as a theme file it is just a txt file with the file extension changed to .thm .

Code:
    Cupfulloflol Theme
    2.X
    Launcher.apk
    /system/app/
    Phone.apk
    /system/app/
    framework-res.apk
    /system/framework/

That is what is inside a .thm file. First two lines can be anything from my understanding, most use the name of the theme then ROMs it would work on. But I have seen different stuff up there.

The third line is where things start getting into the theme, as you see it is "Launcher.apk" . It can be any apk you have themed, just make sure capitalization is correct. The next line is where it is, which /system/app/ is where most are. Repeat that process for all the apks you are themeing. I always do this step last.

The folder structure is usually "name of apk"/res/*folder*/*edited files* Usually the .png files are in the /res/drawable-hdpi/ folder but that isn't always the case.

I highly recommend just taking a theme unzipping it on your PC and looking at it. Rename the .thm file to a .txt file, look through the folders, etc. It is kinda self explanatory how it works. This is exactly how I figured it out. I didn't like some parts of a certain theme, so I threw parts of another into it....etc

If you looked at the guide I linked, there are tons of videos going off of it, that go into detail about what to do.