metamorph 101

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by budmonster, Mar 28, 2010.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any guides online for metamorph. I want to learn how to theme/mod using mm but i cant find any good tutorials. I want to learn about .thm files and to edit them, etc. You get the point.

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    How to MetaMorph/Theme - xda-developers <-- that looks like a decent writeup.

Personally I learned by looking at someones already made theme, there really isn't much to them (the thm file that is).

3. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Im just looking for an easier way to change the icons in the launcher. Its a pain having to pull the apk, find the icon, replace it, then push it back to the phone. I have to do that for every icon. I also dont know anything about thm files.

I also want to learn how to customize my notification bar, changing the battery, the icons, etc.

4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The icons for apps generally are in their own apk. I believe the only one in the launcher is the folder icon.

As far as a theme file it is just a txt file with the file extension changed to .thm .

Code:
    Cupfulloflol Theme
    2.X
    Launcher.apk
    /system/app/
    Phone.apk
    /system/app/
    framework-res.apk
    /system/framework/

That is what is inside a .thm file. First two lines can be anything from my understanding, most use the name of the theme then ROMs it would work on. But I have seen different stuff up there.

The third line is where things start getting into the theme, as you see it is "Launcher.apk" . It can be any apk you have themed, just make sure capitalization is correct. The next line is where it is, which /system/app/ is where most are. Repeat that process for all the apks you are themeing. I always do this step last.

The folder structure is usually "name of apk"/res/*folder*/*edited files* Usually the .png files are in the /res/drawable-hdpi/ folder but that isn't always the case.

I highly recommend just taking a theme unzipping it on your PC and looking at it. Rename the .thm file to a .txt file, look through the folders, etc. It is kinda self explanatory how it works. This is exactly how I figured it out. I didn't like some parts of a certain theme, so I threw parts of another into it....etc

If you looked at the guide I linked, there are tons of videos going off of it, that go into detail about what to do.