Messing around with replacement digitizers and those DAMN DEAD SPOTS -_- (with video)

jDally987

Reaction score
I cracked my screen really bad a few weeks ago and finally got my replacement digitizer in yesterday. I tore apart my droid incredible and installed the new one, it looks beautiful. HOWEVER, I found out, while trying to text with Swype, that there's some kind of major dead area. I tested it out on the Draw app to see where they were, and well, just watch the video:

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=KWAPUQVL

As you can see, first i tried scrolling on the gallery app. The dead areas seem to be at the bottom, because when you saw me scrolling smoothly, I was only thumbing the top half of the screen. As soon as I swiped into the bottom half of it, it always grabs the thumb-bar on the side and scrolls through everything fast.

I went into the "draw" app to draw some diagonal lines, and you can see that there's seemingly 2 horizontal lines of deadness (?) in the bottom half the screen.

Wtf? I guess i shouldn't have bought from one of those cheapo sellers on ebay. Next time I'll choose more carefully. But what can I do about it? Is this a common issue that's solved by some little thing I just overlooked? I stuck the new digitizer onto the housing with rubber caulking, but it's not conductive, so I don't think that's it. Is it just a bad digitizer, and I'm screwed?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
if it's from a cheapo ebay seller I'm guessing it's the product itself. How was it shipped? What was the sellers feedback? Shipping companies, especially USPS, are incredibly careless with packages and anytime I order from ebay (which is rare), it comes from USPS and the packaging is all kinds of messed up.

OP
jDally987

jDally987

Reaction score
The shipping was fine I think - the digitizer was packed in two layers of bubble wrap in a box stuffed with brown paper, and the box was fine. But yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, it must just be a small defect in the digitizer itself. His feedback is fine, he's one of those ebay stores with 2980000 99.6% positive feedback or whatever. But I'll contact him and see if I can get a new one for free. If I can't, where would you suggest is a good place to buy them for cheap?