messed up rom update, how do I get back to something useable

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did you down load that and put it on your sd card

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im sorry I know I am abot to confuse you but before you tried that I am going to assume you already tried to remove droidmod, reinstall it and flash droidmod 1.0 all over again right. The reason I am asking because that has worked and I had done it to remove clockmod. I am surprised it did not work for you

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Because the next step for me to you is just to unroot completely. To sent you back to like you bought your phone. So if none of that work I will suggest you use titanium back up to back up your apps.

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
I deleted the dmupdater-10.apk file and reinstalled it. And got the same error.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok.

Mount you device. Remove the clockmod folder:

and follow this. (I am kind of feeling this because as you will see the directions deal with sprecovery and you still have clockmod)

Unroot & Back To Stock

by Root Your Droid on Jan.21, 2010, under Guides, Root
Though Root is a powerful tool that will allow you to do so much more with your Droid, sometimes people need to completely remove it. Whether you need to turn your phone in to get serviced or would like to revert back for personal reasons, removing all hacks is a relatively easy process. If you are wanting to turn back because you are having troubles, I understand the frustration, but I urge you to stay with it and learn all you can to improve your situation. However, I can’t stop everyone, and in some cases going back to stock is necessary.
Stock is how the Droid came from the factory without Root or any hacks applied to it. Because obtaining Root goes against the Verizon Wireless TOS, if we were to have any problems with our phone that would require Verizon Servicing, we would obviously need to remove everything we’ve done. Fortunately, this guide will only target Root-specific files; no user data or Market apps will be deleted! Here is what will result from reverting back to stock:

• Removal of Superuser Permissions App
  • Restore all default Verizon Apps
  • Restore stock Recovery console/remove SPRecovery and Nandroid
  • Remove Busybox
  • Disable Root-required Apps
  • Remove Root
Disclaimer
(2/5)
Prerequisites: (Please be familiar with the following)

Requirements:

It is strongly suggested that you follow the Full System Backup guide and create a backup of your Rooted Droid before you perform the Unroot. If you do make a backup, you can always restore your Root settings if you plan to re-root your Droid.
hr.png

Step 1: PC Connection
Using the method found in the MicroSD Mounting guide, connect your Droid to a PC via USB and mount your MicroSD card.
root_2.png

hr.png

Step 2: Uploading the Unroot Update Package
Download the Droid Unroot Update Package (unroot_update.zip). Unlike what we used in the Obtaining Root guide, this package is a modified OTA update which REMOVES all Root files and settings. This will not, however, remove any of your personal settings or apps.
You must rename this zip file to “update.zip”. That means you remove the “unroot_” at the beginning of the name. If you are on Vista or Windows 7 and file extensions are hidden, do not add “.zip”; the “.zip” is just hidden.

The Unroot package is named with a “unroot_” so that you don’t mix it up with the original Root package before you use it.
Once you have downloaded and renamed the package to update.zip, drag it onto the MicroSD card folder you opened on your computer. After the file has transferred to your MicroSD card, you must unmount your Droid. You are now ready to apply the update package.
hr.png

Step 3: Preparing your Droid for Unroot

There is one of two ways of performing the next step. It all depends on if you have flashed the custom SPRecovery to your Droid. As stated above, it is highly recommended that you use SPRecovery and make a full backup of your Rooted Droid. Either way, you must boot into your Recovery Console.
Power down the Droid completely.
While holding “X” on the physical keyboard, hold the power button to turn on the phone. You may let go of the power button, but do not let go of X.
root_6.png

After a few seconds, you will boot into your Recovery Console and you may now let go of X. If you are booting into the stock Recovery Console, you must hold Volume Up and then press the Camera button to access the menu.
hr.png

Step 4a: Using SPRecovery
Using the directional pad, navigate to “install” on the main SPRecovery menu and select it using the gold, center button.
unroot_1.png

Inside the install menu is three options. You must first select “Allow update.zip Installation”, though it may appear that nothing has happened. After you select it, select “Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)”. This will begin an automatic installation process.
unroot_2.png

unroot_3.png

After a few minutes you will see “Install from sdcard complete.” From here, navigate back to the SPRecovery main menu by tapping the power button. You will now select “wipe cache partition”.
unroot_5.png

The automatic Cache Wipe process will take no longer than a few seconds. This clears the cache that may hold on to Root-related data. Navigate to “reboot system now” to reboot your Droid and complete the process of Unrooting.
hr.png

Step 4b: Using Stock Recovery Console
Using the directional pad, navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and push the gold, center button to select it.
root_8.png

The update process will begin immediately and should take no longer than a minute or two. It will let you know when the process is complete.
root_9.png

Navigate to “reboot system now” to reboot your Droid and complete the process of Unrooting.
hr.png

Step 5: Ensure your Droid is Unrooted
Once your Droid has rebooted, open the app list. If everything worked properly, you should no longer see the Superuser Permissions app with the Ninja icon. If you used the Removing Default Verizon Apps guide, you should also notice that the apps you removed have now been restored. If you had flashed SPRecovery to your Droid, this too will be gone and be replaced with the stock Recovery Console.
You are now safely Unrooted. One thing you may want to do is clean up any Root-only apps you may have installed, but this is not necessary.
Thank you for sharing:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
one last question did you removed the clockmod folder before you did the terminal emulator

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will be driving to work so I will not be able to copy and paste any more but you should have everything you need on this thread. I am switching from computer to droid.

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
I just found like 10 copies of dm updater and I just deleted those and reinstalled and it is downloading the stock update. It has like 10 minutes left to download I'll see if that works this time and then try your most recent post.

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
I seem to have lost root and my problems seem to be stemming from that.