Messaging issue/Better calender?

yamasxv

Reaction score
Hi, I got my motorola droid about 2 months ago and I absolutely love it, with the exception of a couple things. Mabye im just missing something, which I know is very possible with an amazing phone like the droid. Hopefully someone can help me?

My issues:
-Messaging- When I go to compose a new message and I start to type in a name...it does not show that persons number or any option to get their number from my contacts just the numbers that correspond to the letters. I took my phone to verizon and noone there could figure it out either. The only way I can figure out how to do it is by going into my contacts and starting a text from there which works, but is a little bit of a pain.

I am also searching for a calender alert like the old style nokias. I have had many nokias and i used that calender for all of my reminders. It is such a simple setup, but was so useful to me on a daily basis. I need something like an alarm for reminders, but dont want to have to set my alarm clock for every single thing I need to do. I could care less about syncing to my gmail calender, and have tried a few different calender apps with no luck.

Thanks for any help

FireDroid

Reaction score
Not sure about your message prob, just checked and mine works fine.

As for the reminder for calender, I believe it does have reminders. I have my stuff set up with reminders and it even gives you options to how many and how long!

Laurence5905

Reaction score
My issues:
-Messaging- When I go to compose a new message and I start to type in a name...it does not show that persons number or any option to get their number from my contacts just the numbers that correspond to the letters. I took my phone to verizon and noone there could figure it out either. The only way I can figure out how to do it is by going into my contacts and starting a text from there which works, but is a little bit of a pain.
That's weird -- when I start typing the person's name, my phone gives me a list of the closest matches. Does it both with the physical keyboard and the virtual keyboard... Also, the first "match" listed is the letters I've typed, but in "number form" as if I'd typed them in on a 10-key dial-pad. I've checked the options within the Messaging App, and there's no way for that to be turned off (that I can see). Are you using the built-in Messaging App, or a 3rd-party app? Maybe that's the problem?

I am also searching for a calender alert like the old style nokias. I have had many nokias and i used that calender for all of my reminders. It is such a simple setup, but was so useful to me on a daily basis. I need something like an alarm for reminders, but dont want to have to set my alarm clock for every single thing I need to do. I could care less about syncing to my gmail calender, and have tried a few different calender apps with no luck.
When you're in the Calendar App, press the Menu Key | More | Settings. It should give you a list of settings -- one of which will allow you to set the Reminder Ringtone to anything you want. And you can set multiple reminders for each event in the calendar, both when you create the event, and if you choose to edit the event later -- I usually set a reminder for 1-hour, 30-minutes, and 10-minutes, so I'm not surprised by a single reminder just before the event starts. So maybe I'm not understanding your problem here, but I've had zero problems with the built-in calendar reminding me of stuff.

choppy

Reaction score
How do you set your calendar for two particular dates in a month, every month. Example the 10th and 26th of each month? Please advise. I have a Motorola Droid!

Laurence5905

Reaction score
How do you set your calendar for two particular dates in a month, every month. Example the 10th and 26th of each month? Please advise. I have a Motorola Droid!

Set up two different events, one on the 10th and one on the 26th. Under each separate event, select "Repetition, Monthly."

choppy

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Do you think Droid will add a feature to be able to customize repeated calendar events?

OP
Y

yamasxv

Reaction score
My issues:
That's weird -- when I start typing the person's name, my phone gives me a list of the closest matches. Does it both with the physical keyboard and the virtual keyboard... Also, the first "match" listed is the letters I've typed, but in "number form" as if I'd typed them in on a 10-key dial-pad. I've checked the options within the Messaging App, and there's no way for that to be turned off (that I can see). Are you using the built-in Messaging App, or a 3rd-party app? Maybe that's the problem?

Yes it does it both with the virtual keyboard and the physical one, no matches come up with either. It is doing like you are saying with it showing the letters in number form, but it shows no options of any name in my contact list. For example my friend adam i type in adam and it shows the numbers 2326 with no option of his actual phone number. Also I am not using a third party app for my messaging.

When you're in the Calendar App, press the Menu Key | More | Settings. It should give you a list of settings -- one of which will allow you to set the Reminder Ringtone to anything you want. And you can set multiple reminders for each event in the calendar, both when you create the event, and if you choose to edit the event later -- I usually set a reminder for 1-hour, 30-minutes, and 10-minutes, so I'm not surprised by a single reminder just before the event starts. So maybe I'm not understanding your problem here, but I've had zero problems with the built-in calendar reminding me of stuff.

I have used my calender with reminders but it does not give me the option to use any added ringtones (only the very short beeps and whatnot). If I could use like a song that I have in my regular ringtones that would be great, but some of the quick beep reminders I tend to miss. I guess I will just keep using it that way and try adding more, just was hoping there was another option like nokia's calender. I appreciate the help, thanks!