1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Messaging app from 2.1 in 2.2 BB?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by MS3FGX, Jul 19, 2010.

1. MS3FGX

MS3FGX New Member

I have seen a few threads mentioning this, but none seem to have a clear answer, or at least don't seem to ever come to any real conclusion.

Been running BB for a few days and absolutely love it, except for the Froyo MMS app. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking with this, but it's terrible. Not only is the change to a white background rather bizarre, but why in God's name would I want to have the contact pictures on every line? Why would I want to look at 6 copies of my own picture, let alone the person I am talking too? The messaging app from 2.1 seems more or less perfect, and I would want to get as close to running that as possible.

After searching awhile I found this thread:

[APP] Mms.apk Mod [30-03-10] - xda-developers

That modified Mms.apk is absolutely perfect, it looks just like the 2.1 app and adds in some new features, except it force closes every time I send a message (for what it's worth, the message does get sent, I just get a a FC on my end). I then went out on a limb and pulled the Mms.apk out of the Android SDK 2.1 emulator and installed that into BB, which worked perfectly except for that same FC when sending a message.

So it seems pretty clear that some API has changed a little bit from 2.1 to 2.2 that causes both the stock and modified versions of the 2.1 app to FC at the same point, but I have absolutely zero Java knowledge so I am in way over my head trying to diagnose the problem.

Is anyone actively working on this issue? I can't be the only one who doesn't like the new MMS app, and it seems like it should be a relatively small fix to get the older one working on Froyo.

P.S.
    I am aware there are MMS replacements like Handcent which can be configured to almost exactly mimic the 2.1 app, but frankly I shouldn't have to install another piece of software to get functionality that was already there in a previous release of the OS. I simply want to rollback this single app.
  2. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

3. MS3FGX

MS3FGX New Member

If you actually read the topic or use the app you linked to (of which I have done both), that simply changes the background to black, it doesn't change how the message screen is laid out or the pictures on every line.

As I said in the very first line of my post, I have already gone through every topic about this issue on this and other forums. If that topic had the answer, I wouldn't have had to make a new one, right?
  4. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

i definitely didn't read your entire post, my head sort of nodded on the second paragraph.
  5. MS3FGX

MS3FGX New Member

Very helpful, thanks for contributing.

Anyway, I have loaded the 2.1 Mms.pkg into the 2.2 emulator and can confirm that it does the same thing as it does running BB on real hardware, so the change is definitely in the API somewhere. Running "adb logcat" on the emulator I was able to capture the exact error message:

Code:
    Could not find method android.provider.Telephony$Sms.moveMessageToFolder, referenced from method com.android.mms.transaction.SmsReceiverService.handleSmsSent
    The only Google hit I got for it was, ironically, the exact same error popping up in Handcent before they updated for Froyo:

handcent.com: View topic - Handcent and Froyo 2.2 official build

I have searched the API Differences documentation on the Android Developers site, but can't seem to find any mention of moveMessageToFolder having changed since 2.1 so I am at a bit of a loss. I am rapidly exhausting my knowledge of Android here, so if anyone with more in-depth knowledge of the platform would like to chime in I would certainly appreciate it.
  6. GeckoDroid

GeckoDroid New Member

I Posted a thread similar to yours complaining about this ridiculous picture problem...I found your thread and just had to add how 100% correct you are. Why did they have to change something that did not need to be changed...I am backing you up completely and looking forward to hearing how this can be resolved...I see no need to download another app
Search tags for this page

free apk. froyo android 2.2 message application

froyo black mms.apk

how to mod mms.apk in android froyo

messaging 2.2.2

mms.apk 2.2.2