Message only plans from VZW - Is this new?

bigthinker

Reaction score
But its a PHONE!
I know, I know good point.....But the children of today are text crazy......I have 3 of them using phones and talk minutes are WAY down and TEXT minutes are WAY up.....Go Figure....IT IS A PHONE!!! :motdroidhoriz:

jacobrv

Reaction score
This is my 14 year old brother's account 3 days before the end of the cycle. Trust me, there are people who could benefit from a text only plan.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 138

drewshaver

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking on their site, as I'm learning more about Google Voice, I'm half tempted to split my line off to it's own plan from my families and use the unlimited talk and use the SMS from Google?

I'm not even sure if this is possible yet, lol. So much reading to do and I can't find the mega Google Voice thread I saw a few days back.

fail. GV routes through the normal phone service. try nimbuzz of fring to use your skype account to make voip calls, or try pbxes + some other stuff that was too complicated for me to do

Fail.

I said I stumbled across the message only services and I also mentioned that I was considering splitting to a voice only package for GV, not message only. I also said I didn't know if it was even possible.

Please read before you flame, and you won't have wasted your hard effort on looking foolish.

fail me. i was trying to be helpful tho;p

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
fail. GV routes through the normal phone service. try nimbuzz of fring to use your skype account to make voip calls, or try pbxes + some other stuff that was too complicated for me to do

Fail.

I said I stumbled across the message only services and I also mentioned that I was considering splitting to a voice only package for GV, not message only. I also said I didn't know if it was even possible.

Please read before you flame, and you won't have wasted your hard effort on looking foolish.

fail me. i was trying to be helpful tho;p

Helping is good, and much appreciated. :)

I'm not upset with you, I often try to be helpful without completely reading things myself some times! Or trying to pass incorrect information off as truth. It happens to the best of us :)

drewshaver

Reaction score
i guess since the thread was about message only plans, i just assumed that you were splitting off to a 0 minutes plan with unlimited data.. i'm not even sure i understood what you were planning, were you looking at the $69 unlim minutes plan from vz and using sms from google?

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
i guess since the thread was about message only plans, i just assumed that you were splitting off to a 0 minutes plan with unlimited data.. i'm not even sure i understood what you were planning, were you looking at the $69 unlim minutes plan from vz and using sms from google?

Yes! That was my intent, if I go through this( I don't have GV yet anyways, so it's all moot, lol.).

Do a minute/data thing and just get SMS via GV.

The thought is to shift around my personal line, in the hopes to save money, but we'll see what happens. :)

adrenalnjunky

Reaction score
Looks like they are carrying over the separate Msg packs that Alltel used to have. I was originally on centurytel, then Alltel absorbed their wireless, and now the merger has pushed me to Verizon. The way I run my plan is that I have a $69 Nationwide plan and add a line for the wife's phone. Cant share the texting this way, so I give the included 750 Msg pack to her line, as she uses a lot more than I do. Then I was adding the 200 (now 250) msg pack to my line for $5.

Then I got the Droid, upgrading from a trusty old Razr V3 - so I added on the $29 Smartphone plan, but left everything else the same. Prob is I now text a lot more than I did, cause it is so much easier on the Droid. Looks like I'm going to be upping the plan soon.

zero7starz

Reaction score
What it looks like to me is that they're marketing this towards the deaf and the very hard of hearing. Thats my guess, considering the stipulation of proper documentation is required. I'll probably call into CC tomorrow just to ask them about it, I know quite a few parents of teenagers who would love to get that plan for their kids, because they're paying more then that for them to do the same thing right now.

nighthawk700

Reaction score
What it looks like to me is that they're marketing this towards the deaf and the very hard of hearing. Thats my guess, considering the stipulation of proper documentation is required. I'll probably call into CC tomorrow just to ask them about it, I know quite a few parents of teenagers who would love to get that plan for their kids, because they're paying more then that for them to do the same thing right now.

Sprint has a similar service for Deaf/HOH. In fact, that's what I'm on now. (I'm HOH). T-Mobile Sidekicks with data only have been very popular with deaf people. Verizon's data only plan is about $15 more than Sprint and T-mobile (but about on par with AT&T's data only for the iPhone. AT&T you had to send in a statement from your audiologist or some other proof of hearing status. Sprint you just had to tell them you were deaf, I never needed to send in proof. T-Mobile offered data only to hearing or deaf. I haven't heard of deaf people's experiences with Verizon. I'm planning on getting the voice/data package anyway, because I'm cutting off my landline phone. Just have to get to Verizon (hopefully tomorrow) and make sure the Droid is strong enough to work on my hearing aid.