message not sent...

cleave

Reaction score
About 3 days ago I sent a text message that didn't go through. Now every time I get a new text message, I keep getting a reoccurring notification that says "message not sent." When I pull the notification down, it says "tap to view message." However, I deleted the original message that wasn't sent, so when I tap to view the message I get "message doesn't exist" message. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?
Thanks

Jo71

Reaction score
Me, too!!!!!!

I'm having exactly the same problem. In addition, i can't tell which message wasn't sent :( H
ope someone can give us a clue!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You need to power cycle your device. Either hold power and select power off, or hold down the power button and the volume down button at the same time. Keep holding it down until the device turns off... this should clear up your issue.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
Found a solution:

The real problem appears to be that the default "Text Messaging" app does not show you a failed message queue, but will continually try to resend them. The good news is that Handcent shows you this queue and allows you to delete these messages. You do not need to continue to use Handcent, just use it to delete undelivered messages (I like the appearance and feel of the default app). Make sure to turn off Handcent's notifications if you plan to keep it installed as a deletion utility.

Solution:
1. Install Handcent SMS from Android Marketplace
2. Launch Handcent SMS
3. Press Menu Button >> More + >> Undelivered messages
4. Here you can delete undelivered conversations and end your "message not delivered" woes.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The factory text app does show failed messages. Infact as soon as it fails to send the message, if you pull down on the notification bar and tap on it, it will give you the option to resend or delete. Or if you clear it from the notification bar, you just open your texts and tap the contact u were sending it to, it will show as a red x.

But I'm glad you found a work around that works for you.

The problem that you described earlier also happens to Facebook posts...usually pics. The only way to.clear them is to power cycle,Then they will send.

OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
Fyi...I had this happen for about 3 days and the power cycle option didn't work. In my case it was a text that I replied to, then deleted it. Once the message was deleted it no longer showed up in my "que." Therefore, I kept getting the "message not sent" notification and when I tapped to see the message...I got "message not available." The ONLY way I got the the notification to stop was to use Handsent, then, viola...the message showed up under "undelivered." I promptly hit the red "x" and deleted the message, then uninstalled Handsent...problem solved :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'll keep this in mind for future reference. Thanx :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Droid101

Reaction score
I do not know if anyone went over this before but I have had this issue before and the issue appears to be on the network side of the phone. Apparently a message will get stuck in the system and it wont be deleted until you either:
1. Delete all text messages and restart device or
2. Call Verizon and they will have to clear something in the network on their end for your phone and then you will restart your phone

The second of the two seems to work better as after they did that I haven't had that issue before.

This doesn't seem to be the same issue you guys are experiencing seeing as how a 3rd party app is seeming to fix some fo your issues but according to verizon the issue I just described is a known bug and should be fixed in an OTA update presumably when the ICS update hits

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The issue your describing is familiar to me, the Facebook pic upload issue mimics this

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

difinka2

Reaction score
My son's Ally won't send texts!

You need to power cycle your device. Either hold power and select power off, or hold down the power button and the volume down button at the same time. Keep holding it down until the device turns off... this should clear up your issue.

:icon_ banana:My son's Ally just started with the text messaging won't send business and he gets the the red triangle and he also gets an error code 1! I always start with a power down and up! If that doesn't work, I then do the battery removal and I clean the contacts of the battery! Did all that and still won't send texts! He receives them ok but he cannot send texts...I have never done a system factory reset but I did watch my husband go through so much...stuff, that the thought of doing that to my son's phone makes me feel queezy!:blink:
I'm still trying to find out what an error code 1 is...<--sorry not awesome sentence formation>

BTW, I am not a Newbie and everytime I post, it says I am! I'm not going to argue with the nice forum website!!!!!

Last edited:

difinka2

Reaction score
Ally Cat Mysterious

Hi, How are you? I hope you are doing well! I powered down the Ally the way you suggested and nothing has changed! In my last/first post about this issue, I had powered the phone down. I also took the battery out for five minutes and I also had the same results...none! Very mysterious If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thank you for your time and efforts in helping me to figure out my son's Ally!

Last edited:
OP
cleave

cleave

Reaction score
difinka2 said:
Hi, How are you? I hope you are doing well! I powered down the Ally the way you suggested and nothing has changed! In my last/first post about this issue, I had powered the phone down. I also took the battery out for five minutes and I also had the same results...none! If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thank you for your time and efforts in helping me to figure out my son's Ally!

Did you try my suggestion?

difinka2

Reaction score
I am having a tough day!

Yes, I did and no matter what I do, the smart phone remains unable to text! Any other suggestions would be appreciated! BTW, I attempted to post a reply to your post and the post still remains non posted!

difinka2

Reaction score
I do have one other question about the Ally! My son has all but three apps. stored on his phone as oppsoed to his sd card. How do I recognize apps which can be transferred to the sd card. It makes me wonder if he has a phone memory issue and the poor thing just can't muster up enough stuff to send a text, what do you think? Thanks for your time, we really appreciate it!

edxactly

Reaction score
I believe I have found a simple solution for this.

1 - Delete the entire thread conversation
2 - Remove the notification by swiping it to the left in the notification drop down.

Prior to deleting the thread I could not dismiss the notification. Now I can. Been 10 minutes and it has not returned.