Message app force closing

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by apops, Nov 14, 2010.

1. apops

apops Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So after i installed v.5, i have been having this problem with the messaging app. I wiped data and everything. I ran the backup tool and when it loaded for the first time it imported all my messages that were saved. Now when i get to the part of a thread with a picture in it, it force closes. I tried to fix permissions, but nothing helps.

2. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Idk if this will work or mess anything up...may be risky but...backup messages with titanium backup in the last rom u had before bb. Then wipe and re install bb then use titanium backup to restore messaging app data?

Maybe do a nandroid backup before you do this

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. phaze3131

phaze3131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this happens constantly to me on every custom rom and also when I removed root and went stock, so its an android issue I think.

4. apops

apops Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im just glad im not the only person who experiences this

5. DHO

DHO Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You can try going into settings and clearing the data from mms.apk (messaging app).

If it's a matter of old bad data that will fix it. Of course you will lose all your messages (so back up first).

Finally, another possible fix is to try another messaging app. BB uses the stock app. So when you unrooted it gives error and BB gives error --> try another mms.apk. Personally, I use Koush's tweaked mms.apk from CM6. If you decide to try this, download CM6, extract the mms.apk and place on SD card, run Pete's convenient swap mms.apk script (see FAQs). And done. But anyone's app will do. Always backup first.
    This method may also allow you to keep all your existing messages.

If that fails *shrug*

6. phaze3131

phaze3131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep used stock app, handcent, and chomp. It happens on all of them. This is even my second Droid and it happened on both so I think i've exercised all options...

7. DHO

DHO Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If phazed3131 has tried on two different phones, I submit that it is not a problem with android but his account; and more likely one of the contacts he is syncing with.

There is a well known problem with Google Talk where if a person's name has over 10 or 12 characters that there will be an error and their name will not display. I submit that since the messaging app looks for online status from Talk; a similar name-based bug is probably in their contact/messaging list.

To prove this, once could disable Talk/FB/ other chat apps to see if it works. OR even to flash a stock SBF and see if messaging works. Then to use it till it stops, the last person to send the msg was probably linked the bug.

But I am also exhausted and post-call, so I may be just rambling incoherently

8. phaze3131

phaze3131 Member

Ratings:
    +0

WoW I never thought about that. I am going to shorten up the long ones and I will post back about it.

Only messaging apps I use is FB and SMS (handcent atm)

Search tags for this page
app installed on z10 gives error of force closing
every sms app i try force closes what do i do
how to fix a droid incredible with error foreclose mms
message app force closing samsung s5
mms error force close messaging
my texts aren't sending and force close android
what to do when messaging keeps force closing

why does messaging keep force closing on droid incredible