message and notification question

edub51808

Reaction score
I dont have too many cons about the Droid but this is one thats driving me nuts. When i receive a message or a notification the green light blinks and thats it. How, if any, can i when i receive messages or notifications and have the display turn on when i received them? Ive looked everywhere's and if anyone can help id appritiate it. Thanks

OP
edub51808

edub51808

Reaction score
lol thanks. It seems like a simple problem but no easy solution

Reaction score
I never thought about it, but you are right, the screen does not turn on when a message comes in. But I promise you are in the right place to get an answer. The people in this forum are awesome.

OP
edub51808

edub51808

Reaction score
Thats y i'm here. I got to the nissan forum's all the time and get alot of questions answered. I just wanna know when i have a message. If i'm driving with the music on in my car and get a message i dont know it till i look at it and see the blinking light. Just anal i guess.

Zargon

Reaction score
Thats y i'm here. I got to the nissan forum's all the time and get alot of questions answered. I just wanna know when i have a message. If i'm driving with the music on in my car and get a message i dont know it till i look at it and see the blinking light. Just anal i guess.

I used to have a Maxima. :) I still spend a little time over at maxima.org. Back to your question, the app Handcent lets you choose pop up notifications, and it will turn your screen on. That's just for text messages, but it might help.

OP
edub51808

edub51808

Reaction score
Yea i love my Maxima, love the 6 speed even better though lol. i'll try Handcent and see what happens thanks

yamaredman

Reaction score
I'm going to continue the trend of this thread by not answering your question... because I don't know the answer...

But I will jump in and ask a question of my own...

I'm using Handcent SMS and when I receive an SMS, I get a notification in the top left corner of the screen and I also get a notification for the standard Messaging app. Even after I open the notification bar and click on the Message, the icon for the standard app won't go away.

Will I mess anything up by uninstalling the standard messaging app?

warrior21

Reaction score
I'm going to continue the trend of this thread by not answering your question... because I don't know the answer...

But I will jump in and ask a question of my own...

I'm using Handcent SMS and when I receive an SMS, I get a notification in the top left corner of the screen and I also get a notification for the standard Messaging app. Even after I open the notification bar and click on the Message, the icon for the standard app won't go away.

Will I mess anything up by uninstalling the standard messaging app?
You can't uninstall the standard message app. Just go in and disable notifications for it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

yamaredman

Reaction score
Thank you for that ridiculously simple answer.

Can't believe i didn't think of that.

warrior21

Reaction score
Thank you for that ridiculously simple answer.

Can't believe i didn't think of that.
No problem, I've been there more than once with this phone

warrior21

Reaction score
I dont have too many cons about the Droid but this is one thats driving me nuts. When i receive a message or a notification the green light blinks and thats it. How, if any, can i when i receive messages or notifications and have the display turn on when i received them? Ive looked everywhere's and if anyone can help id appritiate it. Thanks
If you use handcent there is a setting to turn on the screen when you receive a message. Go to settings>notification settings>check the screen on option. Whenever you receive a text the screen will automatically turn on.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good question. Handcent has a popup option and, IIRC, that turns the screen on briefly (not sure for how long).

The point of the notification LED is that it provides visual notification without consuming as much power as having the entire screen lit. If you receive a lot of text messages and find some way of getting the screen to turn on for each one expect to take a battery life hit.

seanazzy

Reaction score
i'm having a similar problem that i can't seem to fix. a notification keeps showing up every time i go into messaging to send, read, or receive a text. but it's a message from yesterday that the thread has been completely deleted. ive had the person text me again, i've text them again. i've turned off notifications, turned off phone, taken battery out, but i cannot figure it out. it keeps coming back saying the message is there in my notification bar and drop down but the thread isn't in my messaging. i'm using the standard messaging. thanks for any help