Memory viewed via Advance Task Killer? Only 98MB? Confused

OP
TheCyclist

TheCyclist

Reaction score
I find I have better battery with auto brightness.

ATK uses battery resources... also it might not be the number of apps that's making the difference... see what apps you have that she doesn't as that might be causing the battery issue.

also.... do you use the phone more?

Does ATK use battery resources even when closed? Also, does having an app installed still affect battery life/memory even when closed?
We have about equal apps, almost identical too.

Just about equal, we mostly text people and maybe 3 phone calls to each other throughout the day.

LordKastle

Reaction score
If you turn off the auto-brightness and use the power-management widgit to control brightness, you may find an increase in battery life in my opinion. It just so happens that my brightness level is always gray/off on the widgit when I am indoors. I only change it when in direct sunlight.

Test it out if you want.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find I have better battery with auto brightness.

ATK uses battery resources... also it might not be the number of apps that's making the difference... see what apps you have that she doesn't as that might be causing the battery issue.

also.... do you use the phone more?

Does ATK use battery resources even when closed? Also, does having an app installed still affect battery life/memory even when closed?
We have about equal apps, almost identical too.

Just about equal, we mostly text people and maybe 3 phone calls to each other throughout the day.

if you run ATK and kill ATK itself then no
if ATK runs in the background, yes... might not be much but it's gotta have juice to run when it 'kills' apps at whatever interval you have set.

what kind of difference in battery life are you seeing?

LordKastle

Reaction score
You have 232 mb free memory? You must be killing all the processes in the background. I have no programs or apps running except what comes native on the phone (except Handcent) until I need to use them... And every time I open up "Advanced Task Manager" just to look at the memory it dips under 100.

I do have sync on for the hell of it though.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
...discussing this is bring back flashes of my BB free Memory OCD... i gotta step out :)

droidhero

Reaction score
Are you saying I shouldn't bother using or having Taskiller? Just to clarify

viperboy

Reaction score
You guys must have way more apps than me I just looked and mine says 234mb available

No you don't. You are looking at internal phone storage. That is memory for you to store apps. You're confusing RAM and ROM.

As explained, widgets can take alot of your program memory away (what you see in a task killer program). When you close a program, it doesn't always get all the memory back that it originally allocated to that program. This is called memory leaking.

If you want to get more memory back, pull the battery and reboot and kill all apps after it boots. It reclaims all that memory you lost while the device was running. You should be solidly in the 100s for MB free. Keep in mind though, it will still memory leak and a battery pull (or just turning it off) is the only way to reclaim all that program memory.

destrekor

Reaction score
...discussing this is bring back flashes of my BB free Memory OCD... i gotta step out :)

reminds me of my struggles to maintain free memory on my Omnia. Oh dear it feels exciting to be able to forget all those hassles.

For the first week of owning the Droid, I was using task managers, being so used to the OCD of Windows computing, and Windows Mobile, both of which absolutely require making friends with task managers.
Since I've learned it's just not necessary with Android, all has been well. I think I restart my phone maybe... maybe, once a week, most likely even less than that. And I never have memory performance issues, and I run a lot of apps and use quite a few widgets and data pull.

This phone is just perfect. I often had to restart my Omnia just to get free memory back and to improve performance by means of a fresh boot.
Android just laughs at me and says "everything will be fine".

droidhero

Reaction score
JhankG, thanks for the hint on Advanced Task Manager. I like the layout better in list form like this.