memory usage

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just let the phone do its thing. I do have Advance Task Manager (not Killer) and System, both of which gives some nifty information.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Ok. So i took some of the advise out there. I removed the task killers and just let the phone handle things on it's own. It seems to run better most of the time but it still seems laggy/buggy. Can anyone point me to some tips on screwy apps i should uninstall or anything I can do to help it run better? Maybe it's just me but I figured this phone would smoke and so far I'm not really impressed.

Well it depends on what your phone is doing. First turn off everything but the auto-sync using the power widget. Then if you have live backgrounds enabled, disable them. What programs has you downloaded and installed? These would be the first steps to now troubleshoot whatever remaining problems you may have.

OP
matrice0056

matrice0056

Reaction score
I understand you frustration with people asking the same thing 10 x a day. I did use the search function and as I stated in my earlier post i couldnt get a straight answer so i asked again. I have wifi and GPS off unless I manually turn them on. I understand that the droid runs multiple things at once so the memory is spread out and I understand that it moves memory to the program that i'm currently using. I won't have any wallpapers running and no widgets going and the stupid thing won't even play music without lagging. I bought this phone thinking I could run differnet things at once but the more I read it seems it can't really handle more than one thing at a time.

I have only installed apps from the marketplace. Those should all be safe right?

Darkseider

Reaction score
I understand you frustration with people asking the same thing 10 x a day. I did use the search function and as I stated in my earlier post i couldnt get a straight answer so i asked again. I have wifi and GPS off unless I manually turn them on. I understand that the droid runs multiple things at once so the memory is spread out and I understand that it moves memory to the program that i'm currently using. I won't have any wallpapers running and no widgets going and the stupid thing won't even play music without lagging. I bought this phone thinking I could run differnet things at once but the more I read it seems it can't really handle more than one thing at a time.

I have only installed apps from the marketplace. Those should all be safe right?

Just because the apps come from the marketplace doesn't mean they play nice. Generally speaking if it is a popular app like Facebook, Twitter, etc... then they are generally very friendly and don't cause run away processes. Now as for the lagging. Have you performed a factory reset? Granted this will wipe all data and apps fromt he device but will restore it to a virgin state. If the phone still has problems I would suggest getting a replacement because you should experience no problems.

OP
matrice0056

matrice0056

Reaction score
I haven't wiped it out but was thinking of doing that. If I wipe it out whats the best way to save the music and pics from the phone? Will I be able to download the apps I've purchased or do I have to buy them again?

This is actually the second phone I've had. The first one overheated due to a faulty battery. the guy at verizon said that was a common thing lately.

Thanks again for your help. Like I said before sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I just want my phone to work and there is so much info here I don't know what to go with.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
Read the link in my signature about memory management in android.

Also memory usage plus is a great program for monitoring memory, and has a great widget in the paid version. Most worthwhile memory manager app i've ever used.

And if memory management is so bad like everyone jumped to, why do most of the major ROM developers stick advanced memory management tools in their ROM's. (ie: freeMB scripts, and recommending apps like advanced memory manager). It's not a black and white debate. It's more like a science. Memory management is a very good thing if you know what you're doing.

With a combination of a good internal taskiller adjustment, and some memory management with Memory Usage Plus, I consistently have 50-60mb free, whereas before I had 30-40 tops mb free. Real life results.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

DroidxRage

Reaction score
Matrice, probably the best bet is to wade through the heaps of information, and draw your own conclusions. Test out different configurations and make observations about what works for you and your device.

No need to apologize. :)

Are you rooted by any chance? Memory Management opens up a bit more once your rooted.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Read the link in my signature about memory management in android.

Also memory usage plus is a great program for monitoring memory, and has a great widget in the paid version. Most worthwhile memory manager app i've ever used.

And if memory management is so bad like everyone jumped to, why do most of the major ROM developers stick advanced memory management tools in their ROM's. (ie: freeMB scripts, and recommending apps like advanced memory manager). It's not a black and white debate. It's more like a science. Memory management is a very good thing if you know what you're doing.

With a combination of a good internal taskiller adjustment, and some memory management with Memory Usage Plus, I consistently have 50-60mb free, whereas before I had 30-40 tops mb free. Real life results.

Enjoy. :)

The free memory scripts only make the default manager more aggressive at closing empty (read DEAD) apps. The thing is that Android, being linux, doesn't really have FREE memory as most people would think. Android fills up its' memory with cached info. If that memory space is needed it dumps that cached info and assigns it to the app. in the foreground that requires those resources.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't wiped it out but was thinking of doing that. If I wipe it out whats the best way to save the music and pics from the phone? Will I be able to download the apps I've purchased or do I have to buy them again?

Fortunately, no. You will not have to buy them again. I'd make a list of the apps you currently have for future reference. I had it done and it took a while to get what I had installed.

I don't believe the reset will delete what's on your SD card so if that's where your music and pics are, you should be safe.

OP
matrice0056

matrice0056

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll reset tonight and try again. That's a bummer about the apps though. Oh well.

DroidxRage, I'm not rooted but will probaly do it someday. I want to understand this phone more before I go messing around with it. :)

DroidxRage

Reaction score
The free memory scripts only make the default manager more aggressive at closing empty (read DEAD) apps. The thing is that Android, being linux, doesn't really have FREE memory as most people would think. Android fills up its' memory with cached info. If that memory space is needed it dumps that cached info and assigns it to the app. in the foreground that requires those resources.

Right, I do get this, I actually wrote a thread on Android's internal task killer linked in my sig. But there's plenty of times I see an app sitting at a 400 priority (right before empty) or even 300, and it's not being killed off, even though it's null of any actively running code. It's just a step away from being killed off by Android's internal taskiller, but never gets there.

I use another application to kill these apps, automatically, none of which immediately open back up so therefore not using any additional resources. There is no reason for these devoid apps to be running on my device, and they will never get to Priority = Empty. I would just up the limits on the 400 priority killing in my internal memory manager, but I don't just want to kill all 400 priority apps, because there are a few that run there that are actively running code that I actually want to keep running.

Examples: Gesture Search, Rhapsody, Vlingo, etc. All hover at 300-400 priority, and hardly ever kill themselves off because they never reach the 500 (empty) priority.

A combination of active memory management can be very good for your phone if done correctly. Abusing TaskKillers is not effective however, I will agree.

JDub

Reaction score
See? Isn't nice when people people actually go out of their way to help someone? That's what a forum/community is about.

Way to go, guys!