Memory question...

dispatcher0531

Reaction score
I'll apologize in advance for this as I am sure the question has been asked many a time, but all you droid guru's, I am begging for your help.

I came from Blackberry ( had them for over 3 years) and I am finding this phone very un-user friendly...I keep getting notifications saying that my phone memory is running below 20% and I have virtually no applications open. I cant leave my gmail open for notification or my facebook open simultaneously without it just killing the available memory. I have read numerous threads on here voting the pros and cons of downloading task killers. Why is it that when you exit out of an application (or press the home icon) does that application not end?

So, I am asking for suggestions here as to what are the must-have apps for any Motorola Droid user to have because I am almost at my wits end. I left blackberry for many issues that I have and I do understand that there is no current PUSH email for Droid and I was willing to give that up because I had read that I could configure the Droid to check email every 15 minutes or whatever I had chosen, but if I cant leave it open to check because all my memory is being used up then what should i do?

Should I have a system monitor type app? I had one and then Verizon rep suggested I do a complete wipe so I did...Now I have no other apps on my phone other than what came complete with it out of the box....

Please, someone....

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you see when you go into menu (2nd button on phone with the lines) and select "SD Card & Phone Storage Settings"?

I have over 200 apps and still have 26.49MB available on the Internal phone storage and never have experienced the issues that you mention.

R

Romple

System monitor apps are usually fine. Just stay away from any "task killers" or "task managers" or "memory manager" apps... (In b4 dead horse is beaten more) they can cause more harm than good.

It definitely sounds odd that you'd have memory issues with nothing installed. My apps list never seems to end and I've never received a low memory message or had any severe slowdowns.

BTW, Gmail on any Android phone is push.

Reaction score
Have you tried a battery pull?

And my corporate is "pushed." I usually get it on my phone before it shows up on my PC.

OP
D

dispatcher0531

Reaction score
What do you see when you go into menu (2nd button on phone with the lines) and select "SD Card & Phone Storage Settings"?

I have over 200 apps and still have 26.49MB available on the Internal phone storage and never have experienced the issues that you mention.

Wow...this forum is great....Ok, Chief Wahoo, I did that and it says that I have over 251 mb available....Is there an app that you would recommend that I could use to monitor my system performance ?

OP
D

dispatcher0531

Reaction score
Have you tried a battery pull?

And my corporate is "pushed." I usually get it on my phone before it shows up on my PC.

Ok my bad on the "push" thing....I guess I just didnt phrase it correctly...what I should have said is that it is very different than the Blackberry email I used. I have tried a battery pull and I have also done a wipe of my device.

OP
D

dispatcher0531

Reaction score
Is there an app that you would recommend that I could use to monitor my system performance ?

System Panel does this nicely. Free in the market.

Thats what I was using prior to my factory reset, which is where I was noticing my huge memory usage..I was reluctant to redownload as that had a built in task killer which others have told me to stay away from...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why is it that when you exit out of an application (or press the home icon) does that application not end?
This is discussed quite a bit in most of the task killer threads but Android will close out apps as needed to reclaim memory. That said, it's entirely possible for apps to misbehave. You might want to be careful going about reinstalling the apps you had to see which one was causing or contributing to your memory issue.

So, I am asking for suggestions here as to what are the must-have apps for any Motorola Droid user to have because I am almost at my wits end.
Please check out the Applications forum. There are a lot of threads discussing various apps and there are many threads discussing exactly what you're asking if you want random suggestions. "Must-have" is very subjective. If you want some suggestions specific to you it helps to mention what types of apps you're looking for or what you're trying to do.

I left blackberry for many issues that I have and I do understand that there is no current PUSH email for Droid
There certainly is push email. The Droid can't, however, turn a non-push email account into a push email account. Even the BIS couldn't do that but it did have "intelligent" polling that increased polling frequency on email accounts based on activity.

Last edited: