Memory question

jmd

Reaction score
The specs say the thunderbolt comes with 8gigs internal. Where is it? When I look at my storage it only shows about 500mb internal and my 32 gig card.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

km04

Reaction score
welcome from a newbie! this has been a point of discussion in many threads. the main theory seems to be that the TB does in fact come with 8GB internal, but not all of it is available to the user. it is apparently setup in a pseudo-raid array, giving you 2-4GB drives that mirror each other, thereby reducing your drive to 4GB. after the OS and bloatware that comes preinstalled(and unremoveable at the moment), you are left with roughly 2.5-2.7GB of user available space. proponents of this theory say that is fine, live with it(the 2.7 GB), you got a 32GB card, stop whining. others say they want to be able to delete the unused bloatware AND have as much of the 8 GB available as possible.

those are the 2 biggest sides of the story, if you want more, google is your friend.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
welcome from a newbie! this has been a point of discussion in many threads. the main theory seems to be that the TB does in fact come with 8GB internal, but not all of it is available to the user. it is apparently setup in a pseudo-raid array, giving you 2-4GB drives that mirror each other, thereby reducing your drive to 4GB. after the OS and bloatware that comes preinstalled(and unremoveable at the moment), you are left with roughly 2.5-2.7GB of user available space. proponents of this theory say that is fine, live with it(the 2.7 GB), you got a 32GB card, stop whining. others say they want to be able to delete the unused bloatware AND have as much of the 8 GB available as possible.

those are the 2 biggest sides of the story, if you want more, google is your frind.

LOL, I just wanted to say I liked your answer.

P.S. We are able to remove the bloatware after rooting.

km04

Reaction score

those are the 2 biggest sides of the story, if you want more, google is your frind.

LOL, I just wanted to say I liked your answer.

P.S. We are able to remove the bloatware after rooting.
thanks, i had the same question when i got my TB(switched from BB). i seem to have more questions than answers so if i can help someone else then that's good.

i didn't tell him about rooting. not sure of his skill level so i didn't want to "muddy the water" with stuff he didn't ask about.(i think that is from the military, only answer the question you were asked solider!!!)

OP
jmd

jmd

Reaction score
I'm familiar and have to knowledge to root, I've done all my other phones, haven't rooted my tb yet. Not sure if I will either, probably gonna give it to my wife and get the bionic when it ever hits the market. Just wondering about the memory cause it seems like somewhere somehow it should able to be seen even if its unusable. I called Verizon and asked them about it and they couldn't even answer the question , so was thinking that it maybe bs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums