Memory Issues

NickWhit

Reaction score
Well. 3.0 came out... so me being the serial flasher I am, had to try it.
Installed, works and looks really promising. But... for some reason I have like 30-60mb ram, depending on how long my phones been running. Haven't even installed any apps, or even inserted an account yet to use the market, or anything else.

I don't understand, with other roms I get between 60-90. With PE in particular I have a great deal of ram almost at all times. In its current state, the phone is slow. Scrolling has a delay. Its just... ugh.

I've had this problem with UD for many versions now. Not just 3.0. Had it with 2.5, had it before that... I don't remember how far back the issue goes. Does anyone know why my phone doesn't like UD, or vice versa? :(

And yes. I wiped. I always do.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have 43 available right now & that's with all 93 apps restored. I don't really pay attention to the ram usage because its meant to be used. Your set shouldn't be laggy due to ram. Are you running compcache or maybe underclocking too aggressively?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Best article I've seen about how Android manages memory.

------------------------------------------------

How Android Manages Processes

In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can quit worrying about memory.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
first mistake is comparing memory usage between gingerbread and froyo roms.