Memory Issue

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by dispatcher0531, May 6, 2010.

1. dispatcher0531

dispatcher0531 New Member

Hello all, and first of all, let me apologize for asking this as I have read quite a few posts about this already....I just got a Motorola Droid and I keep getting a system notification that my available memory is below 15%...Does the Android operating system automatically close apps that arent in use? Do I need another app such as app killer to do this for me? Is there something that I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance, and again, I'm sorry if this seems redundant.

Suzannedancedroid
  2. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Have you downloaded a lot of apps? Go to settings>sd card & phone storage, and how much available space does it say you have?
  3. dispatcher0531

I have a 2gb card in this phone and it says that I have almost 1.8gb free...for some reason I dont think that thing I am downloading are going to the sd card? is there some way to change that and would that affect my memory issues?
  4. dispatcher0531

Do downloaded apps run off internal memory or sd card?
  5. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Motorola Droids come with a 16GB sd card. And apps don't go to the sd card, you would have to be rooted and have a ROM that is compatible with apps2sd for that. What does it say your space available for "internal phone storage"?
  6. dispatcher0531

Mine was a courtesy upgrade given to me by Verizon, and it came with no card in it at all, I had to install my own, which all I had was a 2gb from my Blackberry. It says my internal memory is 223 mb.
  7. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Oh, ok I see. Well if it says you have 223mb, you have plenty for downloading apps. When is this message prompting you?
  8. dispatcher0531

I really cant put my finger on a specifc time....it is a very random thing when the message comes up....then i go into my system settings and pull up my cpu usage and memory usage and it is about 85% used.
  9. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

That is odd, I've never had this message, the Android OS is supposed to handle these things. Have you tried a factory reset?
  10. dispatcher0531

Well, considering that I just got it 2 days ago, should I have to do a reset?
  11. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

I've read that clearing your gmail cache has corrected this sort of thing.

menu>settings>applications>manage applications>menu>filter>all>Gmail>clear data

do the same thing for Gmail Storage. After doing it you email settings will go back to default and you emails will be re-synced and downloaded again.

Could also try clearing the browser cache and market cache using the same technique.

I guess the theory is a file or files can get corrupted and/or bloated and consume unnecessary space and resources.

If you've installed a lot of applications already then it's possible one of them is the culprit as well. Might be worth uninstalling anything you can live without and slowly add 'em back till you can narrow down what is causing it. Paid apps can still be reinstalled if you uninstall them, fyi.
  12. dispatcher0531

Ok, I've done that, and right now my system memory is still almost pegged at 80% continually..........I dont know what to do...
  13. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

A couple of points.

() If you're getting a "low memory" warning, the most likely culprit (as noted earlier in this thread) is data associated with gmail. Clearing the data storage associated with gmail typically resolves the problem.

() The question of how much memory is being used is less important than how much memory is free. As long as you have at least 30 mg of free memory you should be fine, regardless of the percentage that is being used.

If you're concerned, try downloading "System Panel" from the Market. Although it's a task killer, its major value is not in killing individual applications but in monitoring system performance. Take a look at the "active" applications and see if you have so many applications consuming resources that it is slowing down your phone. But if you have 30 mg free, your system should have no trouble initializing and running applications.
  14. Explosivpotato

Explosivpotato New Member

Don't worry about system memory (aka RAM). Android will use as much of that as possible all the time, it doesn't slow anything down. Only worry if your CPU is pegged.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. vikefan7

vikefan7 New Member

Ok, so i'm a total noob here and i moved some pictures from my old phone to the droid and my Internal phone storage went from 423 to 230 MB. My SD card is has been and is still at 14.83 GB after moving the pictures and taking a few. Is the internal phone storage the actual space that comes with the phone? And if so, how do I move the pictures from it to the sd card to free up local space? I still haven't seen that answer on this post. Thanks.
  16. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

yes, the internal memory is the memory built into the phone.

by default it stores all pictures on the sd card. I don't know of any way you can directly copy them to the internal memory without using ADB. And if you're a noob then you didn't use ADB (Android Debug Bridge).

423? Are you sure? The droid only has 256M of internal storage space. If you have 230 available you're doing just fine.
  17. vikefan7

vikefan7 New Member

Ok, i downloaded the astro file manager and it says all my pics are on the sd card, so apparently i just should've downloaded the app as suggested and waited to post. I swear it said 423 or 433, but it was late last night when I set it up so it could've been sleep deprivation.

So there's only 256 MB of internal storage for programs that we install? And unless you root your phone and install a ROM, which voids the warranty, if you ever get close to that amount you just have to uninstall stuff? Thanks again for the help.