Memory Card Issue

strobez395

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my memory card. When I delete things off it while it is mounted to my computer it doesnt seem as though the files are getting deleted. The available space on the memory card stays the same. I'm using a Macbook Pro.

My other problem was when I try to add all my music from this computer (around 8GB) it will not transfer, it gives an error. I need to transfer a group of folders at a time. Any ideas?

JamesX

Reaction score
On PC files deleted from flash drives are deleted and not stored into "Recycle Bin".

Never used MAC do you have to "Empty Trash Can" or something?

OP
S

strobez395

Reaction score
On a mac you drag the files right into the trash can from wherever you are deleting them from, they're all in my trash can. I'm talking about when I look at the Specs on my droids memory card the space available is the same before and after I deleted the files off the memory card.

Edit: If I put a file on my memory card, the space available will decrease. If I then delete that file off the memory card, the space available will remain the same but it appears as if the file is still on the memory card.

I'm a computer security major, we recently learned about many things remaining on portable devices after you delete them, but I didn't know it would keep the whole file size as well. I was just wondering if there was a way to permanently delete the file without wiping my memory card every time I want to get rid of a file.

Last edited:

triptych

Reaction score
Because the sd card is formatted as fat32, you cannot add files or folders over 4gigs.
Reformatting the card to ntfs would fix this issue, but it cannot.be done while still inside the droid. A converter sleeve to usb or other computer available input would allow this.

HOWEVER!
... I'm not too sure the droid can read/recognize anything but FAT32.
Does anybody know what's up?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If your using a Mac check the size of the LOST.DIR on the SDcard....Not a mac user but I heard that is used by Mac's when deleting....

OP
S

strobez395

Reaction score
I don't have my cable with me right now but I will check that. And the info about the FAT32 was useful thank you.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
On a mac you drag the files right into the trash can from wherever you are deleting them from, they're all in my trash can. I'm talking about when I look at the Specs on my droids memory card the space available is the same before and after I deleted the files off the memory card.
Right. We understand that. When you're deleting files off the card do they reside in the trash can as well or are they permanently deleted? That's what was being asked.

OP
S

strobez395

Reaction score
They reside in the trash can until you delete them from the trash can.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Important for Macs... With your Droid mounted, go to your trash can and empty it after you move the files into the trash. If you empty the trashcan while your Droid isn't connected the files you deleted will still occupy space on the SD card even though they don't appear in the file structure.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because the sd card is formatted as fat32, you cannot add files or folders over 4gigs.
Reformatting the card to ntfs would fix this issue, but it cannot.be done while still inside the droid. A converter sleeve to usb or other computer available input would allow this.
FAT32 has the ability to support up to 8TB of information on a single disk. folder limitation is limited to OS and ONLY the AMOUNT of files included in that folder (as well as folder depth). Copying over a folder with 4GB of data is probably not the smartest thing to do, but FAT32 CAN handle that amount of information.

The maximum size depends on the operating system.

The maximum file size on a FAT32 formatted partition is
4 GB or 4,294,967,296 bytes minus 2 bytes ...

The maximum file size on a FAT16 partition
under Windows 9.x and ME is 2 GB minus 1 byte ...

But the size limit using the FAT16 file system
under Windows NT or 2K is 4 GB ...

And the NTFS file system has a (theoretical) maximum file size of
16 exabytes or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes (2^64 sectors)

there will never be a device that supports NTFS.

Last edited:

daemori

Reaction score
NTFS vs FAT 32

I want to change my Incredibles file system from FAT32 to NTFS. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any info about this?

kimahz

Reaction score
This is the second time I have done this and don't want to mess it up so I am doing nothing until someone says something....I had to get replacement phone and Verizon store guy removed my sd card from droid which worked but had black screen...my screen saver was there...but when I got into the car and they were closed it said my sd card was damaged...I don't think it is....but I had trouble the last time I moved it from one phone to another and it seemed like it was missing pics etc but it was working after I did something...anyway I am afraid if I push the wrong thing I will mess it up....how do you move the sd card from one phone to another and then get it set up? It says I think if you format it will erase and that is what I did last time and it seemed it was erased but somewhere off the forum I got a away to get it back...now I just want to set it up without creating a problem...can anyone help?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I copied a music folder with 10gigs of songs from my computer to my Droid with no problem