Memory and Force Closure Issues

Reaction score
I've uninstalled a ton of apps I rarely/never use, delete text messages, clear cache from browser and skyfire, yet memory stays full. to make matters worse, now I'm having issues with constant foreclosures of stock browser even though I never open it or use it, it just reports over and over I need to force close it. Skyfire no longer opens, Facebook doesn't stay open, even messaing doesn't stay open. this started yesterday when multitouch keyboard would forceclose all the time (even when not in use) until I switched to Android keyboard. I'm not receiving texts or emails. the only notification I keep getting is that Android can't launch AmazonMP3 which I would uninstall if I could anyway!
I am all stock, non-rooted. I don't use task manager or juice defender after it became apparent Froyo made them useless.
Halp.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
With this many issues on your phone....I would recommend a Factory Reset and then when it reboots, re-enter your gmail account info and set the phone back up.

All user data will be wiped so you'll have to set your home screens back up and wait for the apps you've downloaded/bought be pushed back down to your phone.

Memory will always stay full...it's the OS's design to keep as much in memory as possible.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 for the reset. If you use a launcher you may want to consider removing it as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
how long do I have to wait for my apps to be pushed back to my phone? I did the factory reset nearly nine hours ago.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
If they haven't come down yet they probably aren't. Did you have it checked to "Back up my data" under settings/privacy previously? Also "Automatic Restore"

Overall is the phone performing better since the wipe? If you have any paid apps they are in the download section under the Market (go to Market, hit menu and select downloads). You'll have to manually download the free apps you had before.

OP
S
Reaction score
they're checked now. if they're autochecked then I never changed the settings. does it make a difference that I did the factory reset from the boot screen. I didn't know I could do it from security.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Are you getting RAM errors or storage errors? A lot of the time what people report as RAM errors (out of memory errors) are actually storage errors. Try moving everything you can to the SD card and see if you still have the problem before going through a reset and having to set your phone back up.

Not saying it's not a good idea, because it is, but if you don't have to... :)