Meet the Burger-flipping robot

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Now this might not be the normal android news that you'll find here, but it's certainly interesting none the less. Flippy is more of an automaton than a human replacement. It’s essentially an industrial robot arm with a spatula attached that uses machine vision to locate burgers on the grill, time how long they’ve been cooking, and flip them when needed. The bot, created by startup Miso Robotics, made its debut earlier this week assisting in CaliBurger’s kitchen by flipping patties on the grill.

Continue Reading @ TheVerge

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
see what happens when fast food workers start demanding 15 bucks per hour! time to get that degree on repairing robots instead of flipping burgers.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, I can see this thread turning into a political debate real fast..

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
IN B4 everyone get's b&

On a serious note though,

see what happens when fast food workers start demanding 15 bucks per hour! time to get that degree on repairing robots instead of flipping burgers.

While the demand for higher minimum wage and this are tangentially related, there is little to no causation. This automotan wasn't created because of the demand for $15 per hour pay, this was bound to happen regardless, just like it's happened in industrial sectors

With the ever present march of technological advancement, eventually we will replace all of these kinds of jobs with computers and robots, hopefully to the betterment of humanity.

Think of it like this, as humans get more leisure time to spend learning, reading and creating, technology progresses faster, as technology begins taking over the more mundane aspects of life we are afforded the time to do more intellectual (among other) pursuits. It's part of the reason, imho, that the world has gotten better, that violence overall has fallen, that the poverty level around the world has fallen across the board. We've come a long way, we still have a long way to go still, but don't dismiss the progress we've already made.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is kind of cool, and interesting. I might try one if given the opportunity; just to say I tried it. But with that being said, no robot is ever going to make a better burger than the one I shape and form with my own two hands and cook on my grill myself. No science involved, it's all just "winging it" based on grill temp and personal desire & experience. Best burgers in the world are made & cooked by your own two hands.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
It's in my neck of the woods. If he meant Pasadena CA. Might make a road trip.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
For at least the past 5-6 years I've been consuming everything I can about AI and task automation. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been done already on a larger scale. Nothing good will come of the coming "Fourth Industrial Age" or whatever they decide to call it.

This video from 4 years ago pretty much sums it up...

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
IN B4 everyone get's b&

On a serious note though,

While the demand for higher minimum wage and this are tangentially related, there is little to no causation. This automotan wasn't created because of the demand for $15 per hour pay, this was bound to happen regardless, just like it's happened in industrial sectors

With the ever present march of technological advancement, eventually we will replace all of these kinds of jobs with computers and robots, hopefully to the betterment of humanity.

Think of it like this, as humans get more leisure time to spend learning, reading and creating, technology progresses faster, as technology begins taking over the more mundane aspects of life we are afforded the time to do more intellectual (among other) pursuits. It's part of the reason, imho, that the world has gotten better, that violence overall has fallen, that the poverty level around the world has fallen across the board. We've come a long way, we still have a long way to go still, but don't dismiss the progress we've already made.

I think you missed my point. one thing to mention, restaurant automation has been around for a long time. Just was not cost effective because the equipments was very expensive. as prices go up, as wages go up, the cost of automation has been going down. it is now at the point where it is worth looking at again.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you missed my point. one thing to mention, restaurant automation has been around for a long time. Just was not cost effective because the equipments was very expensive. as prices go up, as wages go up, the cost of automation has been going down. it is now at the point where it is worth looking at again.

I'm pretty sure you just said the same thing I said in a slightly more succinct way.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Someone still has to put the cooked burger on a bun, add the condiments and garnishes and serve it to the customer. Still need people for that. When robots start doing all of that, it will be weird.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Fuddruckers has the zero employee interaction when it comes to condiments. It's called here is your Patty and bun, now go to a condiment station.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone still has to put the cooked burger on a bun, add the condiments and garnishes and serve it to the customer. Still need people for that. When robots start doing all of that, it will be weird.

Lookup Baxter

Edit: nvm here it is

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk