Media using battery up

mojo2608

Reaction score
I just got the D-3 and in 2 days the battery has been eat up by "media" according to the battery usage info. I have forced closed it and the battery life has increased dramatically. Any recommendations on what i could do or any setting i can change that im missing. I uninstalled a weather app that i had set not to run and it seemed to help. Also, the bottom of the phone gets really warm, not hot. I know this is where the processor is and its supposed to get warm, but it stays that way. Any input is appreciated!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

doogald

Reaction score
Are you listening to music a lot? Playing video? Those are big media uses.

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
No. My phone sits idle for hours sometimes. The first night i had it, it had a full charge so i didnt plug it in and it died in within 6 hours. The "media" says the following it controls: download manager, com.motorola.android.omadrm, oma download, downloads, media storage, media sync, drm protected content storage.

Last edited:

Shimmy549

Reaction score
No. My phone sits idle for hours sometimes. The first night i had it, it had a full charge so i didnt plug it in and it died in within 6 hours. The "media" says the following it controls: download manager, com.motorola.android.omadrm, oma download, downloads, media storage, media sync, drm protected content storage.

You're not listening to music at all? Because some music programs will keep running in the background if they're not exited a certain way. Some of them will even keep your phone awake (won't let your phone sleep at all) until they're closed properly.

It just looks like a music program is at fault.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
I can power cycle my phone and never touch it when it starts up and it will be just as hot as before, check the battery and it will say the "media" has used anywhere from 15-40% of the discharged portion of the battery. The rest will be just odd and end stuff. I can force close the program from the battery usage screen and it will be fine for a while. Never even select any music to listen to or internet.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
What do you see in the Running tab of Manage Applications?

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
Settings, facebook, yahoo mail, accuweather, tikl, data manager, google services, sync service, news, backup assistant, files, im, maps, bluetooth dun, multitouch keyboard, media. I have closed media back out as it was trying to restart. I have not even touched any music on this phone and since it has not been running, it is room temperature now.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Settings, facebook, yahoo mail, accuweather, tikl, data manager, google services, sync service, news, backup assistant, files, im, maps, bluetooth dun, multitouch keyboard, media. I have closed media back out as it was trying to restart. I have not even touched any music on this phone and since it has not been running, it is room temperature now.

Does Facebook show up in your battery stats? That tends to be a big consumer. I don't know if it's contributing to your "Media" problem, but it does sync a lot if it's set to do that.

I don't have News or AccuWeather in my Running tab because I froze them when I rooted. Maps is never in there, either, although that's not frozen. It used to run constantly on my D2G (something else I was using might've been keeping it from staying off), so I froze it.

I don't know if any of those programs fall under the "Media" umbrella, but some of them seem like they could be doing some damage to your battery.

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
I have figured out what the problem was, there was something on my sd card that was keeping process.android.media running. I backed up my pics and formatted the card using my phone, restarted, and no more issue! Thanks for the recommendations!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I hate to be a nosy neighbor, but I don't think ANYONE would have suggested you search you SD card for a rogue media file. Could you please enlighten us a little more about this suspicious character, so we can put it in the history/diagnostic books? File type? Size? Etc. All the juicy details!

Or wait...when you say "something" do you mean "I don't know what it was, but after formatting it stopped?" If so, it sounds more like a rogue card (formatting) issue than a file issue...

Thanks,

-Matt

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
I hate to be a nosy neighbor, but I don't think ANYONE would have suggested you search you SD card for a rogue media file. Could you please enlighten us a little more about this suspicious character, so we can put it in the history/diagnostic books? File type? Size? Etc. All the juicy details!

Or wait...when you say "something" do you mean "I don't know what it was, but after formatting it stopped?" If so, it sounds more like a rogue card (formatting) issue than a file issue...

Thanks,

-Matt

I would absolutely love to be able to tell which file it was that was causing this issue. I am not sure because I had about 100 music files, 30-40 ringtones, a coulpe short videos, and several documents along with multiple app files. It could have very well been the sd card causing all the problems. Which ever it was, formatting the sd card worked and I did make a backup of my ringtones and documents and added them back one set at a time to check for the problem. It never reoccured again, so hopefully this will help people in the future with similar issues.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Which ever it was, formatting the sd card worked and I did make a backup of my ringtones and documents and added them back one set at a time to check for the problem. It never reoccured again, so hopefully this will help people in the future with similar issues.
I was afraid you'd say that! ;) Well, since you've restored all the media my guess is it was a bad-sector thingie...or wait, I guess SD cards don't have sectors...or...???

-Matt

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
I was afraid you'd say that! ;) Well, since you've restored all the media my guess is it was a bad-sector thingie...or wait, I guess SD cards don't have sectors...or...???

-Matt

I believe they have security sectors from what i have read. It may have been just a simple misread between the card and phone, or could have been a file that it was attempting to read and couldn't.

Pete7874

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but I just started having the same issue on my Moto D2G (Verizon) running Android 2.3.4. android.process.media drains the battery faster than I can finish dinner. I tried copying all my SD card content to a PC, then formatted the card, then copied everything back onto the card. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. I am guessing one of my media files may be corrupt or something. But I have hundreds of them... trying to figure out which one is the culprit will be fun. I guess I will first try deleting the media files that were added in the past couple of days, since that's when the issue started and see what happens.

trispi3

Reaction score
Brutal

I realize this is an old thread, but I just started having the same issue on my Moto D2G (Verizon) running Android 2.3.4. android.process.media drains the battery faster than I can finish dinner. I tried copying all my SD card content to a PC, then formatted the card, then copied everything back onto the card. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. I am guessing one of my media files may be corrupt or something. But I have hundreds of them... trying to figure out which one is the culprit will be fun. I guess I will first try deleting the media files that were added in the past couple of days, since that's when the issue started and see what happens.

I am having the same issue. Media using over 80% of battery, battery running hot, immediately from startup. Using Task Killer to exit all programs, doesn't help. Uninstalled many apps, also doesn't help.

This is what shows as running:
OMA Download
Media Storage
Downloads
Download manager
com.motorola.android.omadrm
DRM Protected Content Storage
MediaSync

Please please help!