Media Process Issues After Gingerbread Update

3DrinksAhead

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having some issues with my Droid X after downloading the Gingerbread update today. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered these issues and if so, what the solution would be.

My battery is getting absolutely crushed after installing the update. Looking at my battery usage, the culprit seems to be 'android.process.media' that's drained about 60% of my drainage since restarting the phone about 2 hours ago.

It seems like something really screwy is going on with my media. My stock gallery won't even open, and when I open my secondary gallery, there are no pictures despite having a few hundred stored on my SD card. Furthermore, when going into the music player, none of my music is showing up.

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.

CPngN

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having some issues with my Droid X after downloading the Gingerbread update today. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered these issues and if so, what the solution would be.

My battery is getting absolutely crushed after installing the update. Looking at my battery usage, the culprit seems to be 'android.process.media' that's drained about 60% of my drainage since restarting the phone about 2 hours ago.

It seems like something really screwy is going on with my media. My stock gallery won't even open, and when I open my secondary gallery, there are no pictures despite having a few hundred stored on my SD card. Furthermore, when going into the music player, none of my music is showing up.

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm having the same issue after the upgrade. An old thread suggested a bad media file (some m4a sample file from a ringtone app) caused it to get stuck. I don't know how one goes about finding which file it may be stuck on today, though. Hoping someone comes up with a solution.

bobAbooey

Reaction score
Did you guys take the ota?

I had crazy problems with it. Had to sbf back to froyo, root and then install the 2 files from p3.

garyj0nes

Reaction score
Media

Having the same issues. Can't open up music or photos. Phone has crashed and rebooted at least 4 times today. Super slow. This is a horrible experience so far. I took the OTA. I'm going to try and get back to froyo.

Bamph

Reaction score
My Solution

I found this thread after having the same problem, but I have managed to fix the issues (I think). I can now access my music player and gallery, download from the market (I couldn't even do this), and my battery stopped overheating.

All I did was delete the individual pictures from the "dcim" folder. That folder contains all my pictures taken from my phone, but I managed to back them up despite all the crashing.

Phew. Good luck to you, I hope this works!

AardvarkBetty

Reaction score
I had the same issue this morning after updating to GB. After trial and error of uninstalling various apps (with no different results), clearing caches, removing the SD card, and everything else I believe I was able to narrow it down.

The last change I made is clearing the Data from the Media Storage within the Settings. Rebooted the droid and Media was no longer at the top of my Battery Usage list ~80%. Since then I have had no issues and reinstalled my recently deleted app also with no issues.

Good Luck!

**Edit: Meant to write in data, not cache, in regards to the deletion of the Media Storage settings

OP

3DrinksAhead

Reaction score
Welp, at least I'm not the only one who's having this problem...thanks for the suggestions.

Bamph, I deleted the pics and thought I was out of the woods - it told me 2 of them were corrupt, and when I went back to my gallery I could at least see the folders of the other pictures I have on the SD card...but this was short lived, and I continue to have the same problem.

Aardvark, how exactly do you clear the cache from the Settings? Apologies if this is obvious, but my phone barely remains stable long enough for me to do anything...so just trying to get all the instructions so I don't have to waste time.

AardvarkBetty

Reaction score
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications (click on All up at the top)
From there scroll down to and click on Media Storage. From there you should see the button Clear Data, click on that and cross your fingers ;)

Bamph

Reaction score
How to Clear the Media Cache

3Drinks: Hah! You're right, the problem did resurface. But it looks like clearing the Media cache worked. We shall see if that actually fixed the issue for good.

Here's how I did it: Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/"All" Tab/Media Storage (with all the crashing, this one is stressful to reach)/"Clear Data" button/Confirm

Then reboot the phone, and your media should all be there (except for the pictures I incorrectly advised that you delete. Sorry about that, I really thought that worked...).

AardvarkBetty

Reaction score
Though I editted my original post to read to clear the data I suppose clearing both cache and data would be wise.

OP

3DrinksAhead

Reaction score
I am cautiously & optimistically reporting that clearing the Media cache seems to have worked! Calling it a night - will let you know if the problem resurfaces tomorrow. Don't want to jinx it, but thanks a ton...never would've thought to do that.

Bamph, no worries - I was sure to backup my pics on my computer before deleting any of them.

crangel1019

Reaction score
I was having these same issues after the update. Needless to say I was very frustrated. But thank u all for the info. Clearing the data seems to have solved the problem. It's working much better now. Thanks again!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BossBigRob3

Reaction score
After what seem like a never ending nightmare of phone resets, battery running out, deleting apps, no music player all day and no access to android market. I am so thankful for the helpful device. It worked great and now I can enjoy my new gingerbread update. I was so happy I has to register to the forum just to say thanks. I don't know if this is the case but could this be part of the same problem with the gallery not opening up. I bypassed the problem with another app before the update. Guess I should of tried to fix that problem instead of ignoring it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dubbz23

Reaction score
3Drinks: Hah! You're right, the problem did resurface. But it looks like clearing the Media cache worked. We shall see if that actually fixed the issue for good.

Here's how I did it: Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/"All" Tab/Media Storage (with all the crashing, this one is stressful to reach)/"Clear Data" button/Confirm

Then reboot the phone, and your media should all be there (except for the pictures I incorrectly advised that you delete. Sorry about that, I really thought that worked...).

I'm running into the same issues as all of you, and before i follow those steps i just wanted to clarify something... when you say reboot, do u just mean turning the phone off and then back on? Bear with me on this, i'm not too good with these types of things haha. My phone has been all sorts of slow and freezes all the time since i installed the new software OTA yesterday. And the battery drained in about an hour. Today the phone seems to be working almost normal, but i cant get my photos to come up. If you can clarify this for me, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

AardvarkBetty

Reaction score

I'm running into the same issues as all of you, and before i follow those steps i just wanted to clarify something... when you say reboot, do u just mean turning the phone off and then back on? Bear with me on this, i'm not too good with these types of things haha. My phone has been all sorts of slow and freezes all the time since i installed the new software OTA yesterday. And the battery drained in about an hour. Today the phone seems to be working almost normal, but i cant get my photos to come up. If you can clarify this for me, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

By reboot I meant to just power it down and then power it back up.