Me Messaging Pics: It's been asked before

eagle132

Reaction score
So I know this has been asked before but I've never seen a good solution, and am surprised that it hasn't been brought up more (maybe everyone knows something I don't?). Anyway, in the Froyo default messaging app, it annoys the heck outta me that after every single text I send there's a grayed out picture box next to it. Now, I don't want to know how to fill the box with an image of me. I know how to do that. It just annoys me that there is an image there at all, how useless!

I know what I look like, I don't particularly want to see hundreds of pictures of me throughout every single conversation. So, is there a fix to this? I can't imagine there's a good one, or it would be more widely embraced in themes etc (I'd think anyway). I have no idea why they decided this was a good idea when going from 2.1 to 2.2, but someone thought so.

Any suggestions?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's anything to be done on that particular app. I know Handcent gives you the option of not showing pictures.

OP
E

eagle132

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's anything to be done on that particular app. I know Handcent gives you the option of not showing pictures.

Yeah I'm currently using Handcent, though I do like the stock messaging app (the old one anyway) better than Handcent. I really can't imagine why they changed it to this.

RevivaL

Reaction score
if annoys the **** out of me too - i tried looking around to see if anyone's ported it yet, but it doesn't look like it's been done, which is rather surprising.

The X's messaging with blur looks pretty sweet too, I wouldn't mind having that.

This is really the only thing I don't like about froyo, is I have to look at these pictures everytime I want to send something. I tried using handcent, but I didn't really like it, the stock app works fine for me.

ItsZah

Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and use a 3rd party app like "handcent, chomp sms, etc" you get more of the customization availability than you do with the handsets messenger.

OP
E

eagle132

Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and use a 3rd party app like "handcent, chomp sms, etc" you get more of the customization availability than you do with the handsets messenger.

Yeah, but what a nuisance to have to do that! I think I'll switch back to stock and pray that this is fixed soon. It's almost as annoying as not being able to silence my phone with the volume rocker, and instead having to use a widget instead. I'm telling ya, Froyo has it's positives, but there are just some stupid things that they added.

bgill55

Silver Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you can edit it out in one of the xml's in the Mms apk ill look for it and see what I can do! I think it will remove all avatars though

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
You can tap on the gray pic and Hancent will give you an option to associate a pic with the account. I had a pic of myself in my gallery so I assigned that. Now everytime I write a text I not only see the pic of the person I am writing too but I also see my pic next to what I wrote.

forkup

Reaction score
If yall are so homely you don't want to see yourself when texting I don't mind sending you a picture of me ;)

OP
E

eagle132

Reaction score
If yall are so homely you don't want to see yourself when texting I don't mind sending you a picture of me ;)

Send me a PM! Haha.

But yeah, id really just rather my pic not be there, just the other persons. Doesn't seem possible though, from everyone's reactions. Sigh, oh well, thanks anyway.

RevivaL

Reaction score
you can edit it out in one of the xml's in the Mms apk ill look for it and see what I can do! I think it will remove all avatars though
or steal something from the 2.1 messaging app