McAfee/anti-virus apps: Nay or Yay

tituswife

Reaction score
I've read re battery life, to not use anti-virus apps. I'm currently on day four of a seven day trial of McAfee. I don't want to spend $30, but not sure why I wouldn't want to protect my phone his way. Really appreciate your thoughts.

By the way, I just installed Lock Screen. What a great idea to save battery and the power button!

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I say NAY. Have never used an AV app on my phones. Spend the $30 on something else. ;)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're not worried about viruses?

There really aren't even any viruses for android that I know of...computer viruses don't apply to android, the coding is way too different. Basically antivirus apps for android are just a scam to get more money

the ORIGINAL Droid
supercharged modified liquid 3.1w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1850 quadrant score

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Interesting ... I would like to save the money. What about suspicious web sites? ViRobot has warned me about Security Certificates for sites. What about apps that ask for permissions that seem to be too far reaching?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Interesting ... I would like to save the money. What about suspicious web sites? ViRobot has warned me about Security Certificates for sites. What about apps that ask for permissions that seem to be too far reaching?

A. Then don't visit the site if you don't want to risk anything, or know for sure it's good... simple.

B. Don't install the app, you can't project yourself from an app necessarily if you already gave it permission.

C. There really aren't any documented viruses for Android and any suspicious apps are removed from the market and wiped from the phone. You don't have anything to worry about. AV just take up memory. And I can't believe an Android AV app costs $30? There are plenty of free ones if you're actually going to get one.