MBR Checksum Error

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by 69Rixter, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    Evening:

Recently, this phone was hijacked by a rogue app that overrides all other functions of the phone. I got this bad app when I tried to update a "360 Security" app. Now, I cannot delete this app or it's files for I cannot access any other app or file. Oh, the rogue app is com.qihoo.security. I've tried to rest to "default settings", but it didn't work. Noticed, when in reset/download mode, it showed a MBR Checksum error. 1. Is there anyway to get rid of the rogue app since I can't access any other apps/files? 2. Is there a way I could "tether" the phone and "wipe" the phones current O.S. and reapply another? Gotta admit, this is a strange occurrence!(or so I think)
    Rick

2. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad
    Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +240
    You can do a hard reset from boot. Which phone is it?

3. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    Hey UrbanBounca:

Thanks for responding. Uhm... no, I tried several times to do a hard reset/reset to default and for whatever reasons it didn't reset nor remove the app. I did, finally, get far enough into the menu to eventually remove the rogue app. Which, one problem solved; another acquired. Now, I can't do a reset/default at all. It won't go past the initial "default settings screen" and move into the page that actually does the reset. I'll keep working on it. Really, I believe it's time to upgrade the O.S. I've tried several times, but I cannot get the drivers to load so that MSWin will "recognize" this phone. Hopefully I'll get that accomplished and then, maybe, with an updated O.S. these problems will vanish.(?) BTW, looks as if you'll be rooting for Denver in the S.B? Well. I'm off to see if I can get the problem of the "drivers" solved.
    phone specs: Samsung Anycall GalaxyS 1 model shw-m110s---Froyo 2.2
    Thanx:
    Rick

4. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad
    Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Rick,

It's not a problem. We're here to help, when we can. As for the S.B., yes sir, Denver is my team. I've had that avatar up since about 2013.

That said, you can use the Second Method to complete a hard reset on the device. As for upgrading the device, it's not like a Windows PC where you can simply install an updated O/S. Your carrier must approve any updates, and there is the possibility, especially with the age of your device, that they've simply stopped developing for it. When there's no more development, that's likely the latest official update you'll receive.

Good luck!

5. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    them To UrbanBounca

I always do a hardreset the second way for I never knew about the first method. Even with the hardset the phone still has "bad request" and MBR checksum error. I think first and foremost, I have to upgrade the O.S. because everything now has bypassed Froyo2.2 and I feel that is where a lot of these problems stem from.(?) Ahm...this phone does not have a service provider at the present so asking them for an upgrade is impossible. The drivers are out there, just having a great deal of difficulty getting to load into MSWin7.

#5 69Rixter, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    SHW-M110S
    UPDATE:

Although the problem is not solved, I choose to close this thread because the answer to the Checksum error were just too numerous and vague to offer any help to anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.