Maylong M-150 universal android tablet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by janorton05, Oct 14, 2010.

1. richardf@hotmail.com

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between android 1.6 and 2.0?

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    While I can't link you to it, as long as you can turn on USB debugging you can use the ADB method to push SU, I believe.

3. janorton05

janorton05 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It does have the ability to turn on usb debugging. I'll give that a try. I don't really think they have it locked down though. It has a busybox folder (don't know if that matters just used to hearing that in association with rooting). I'll try pushing su then perhaps I'll brick it trying to modify my first kernel to overclock and put 2.0

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    If I were you I'd just install a terminal emulator and try su. If it's pre-rooted already you don't have to worry about that part of it, right?

5. janorton05

janorton05 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In the terminal emulator what commands could I run to test it? Sorry this is all new grounds for me. That was the main reason for getting this device. So I could learn how to do all this stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

6. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Just type su and hit enter. If you get a # prompt you're rooted. If not you'll need to root.

7. KellBell1234

KellBell1234 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, my tablet was just delivered about 30 minutes ago. And I must say, my first impression is VERY cool! It works great, it's not super fast loading web pages and apps, but overall I think it is awesome for the money and I think I will have alot of fun with it. As I mentioned previously, I am NOT a techie type person at all, just a mom that wants to surf the net and watch some youtube videos before I nod off to sleep. The weight and size is perfect for bedtime viewing, the touch screen works well with my fingers, although for typing I think the included stylus is preferred...maybe once I get some practice my fingers will work for that too, but I seem to hit the wrong keys with my fingers.

So I have to say, so far I think it will be perfect for me and for the low cost, it was more than worth it!

UPDATE- after playing with it for a day, I'm not sure....the battery life seems iffy and I don't see that it's user replaceable should it wear out. I only played with it for an hour and I had to charge it, then it sat off all night and the bars are down on it without use.....and it keeps dropping my wifi signal, and I'm within a few feet of it in a small bedroom. SO, I'm revising my review....my initial thought was, it was great, now....not so much. I think it going back to Walgreens today.

#31 KellBell1234, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  8. Kayro

Kayro New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some more observations

I've had my M-150 for about a week. Since Walgreen's allows 30 days for a return, I want to do as much (or little it turns out) as possible before deciding whether to keep it.

This being my first Android device, I know nothing about rooting and such, so am limited to the 1.6 OS. For what it is, it's a pretty good device. Just don't expect streaming video, pdf reading or flash video of any kind. And the video types it supposedly supports seem iffy also.

What I don't understand is that there seem to be several apps installed (e.g., stickynotes) but no way to access them or start them, only uninstall them. No answer from Maylong's email tech support.

Very nice e-book reader. If that's all you are buying it for, there's a good buy right there. Good e-mail client as well.

Most frustrating is that the normal Android Market is not available and the app market that comes with it is very limited. So trying to get apps that DO work with 1.6 fails and returns a browser error. Anyone know how to get around that?

9. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Look over on XDA forums for a way to sideload the Market. I saw somewhere there's a way to do it on some other unsupported tablets.

10. GrandpaR

GrandpaR New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stickynotes is a widget, you can get to it from home screen by right clicking with a mouse or tap the icon that brings up setting menu on bottom. Then select + icon and select widgets. Cute but not much to it. NOTE: if your home screen is full the +/add icon will be greyed out. You will have to remove an icon/shortcut from home screen to make room.

The best program I have found so far is (fring). This is a IM program that works with many of the IM services. You will be able to talk via the built in mic. ( has excellent sensitivity and quality) and using ear buds in the audio jack. You can also call landlines and cell phones (there is a charge of 1 cent per minute) talking to computer with other users is free.

I have had my M-150 for about a week and so far I have used the wifi at home, 2 McDonalds, and one other wifi spot. Very fast connection and no problems.

I use a wireless mouse with the transmitter pluged into the dongle usb and it works great. (no wires)

I load programs via the other usb port on the dongle using a standard thumb drive.

#34 GrandpaR, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  11. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
  12. blackjoker4215

Ratings: