Maybe this forum can help.

Beasthunt

Reaction score
I posted this in android central but I cannot get a response there, maybe you can help me with these questions.

I live in a sleepy little town called Lincolnton, NC and to my extreme surprise I found out that we indeed have 4G coverage and fast coverage at that. I've been in 2 places and both only have 2 bars of signal and multiple speedtest report the service is running about 19mbps down and 15-35 up.

I have checked my address on the coverage map and I literally live next to the end of the coverage line. I would say no more than a couple of hundred feet or less. I'm wondering if I would get 4g service? My brother has a cheapo verizon phone and he gets 1 bar of 3g service downstairs. I currently have AT&T, I get zero bars down stairs but I average 2 bars upstairs.

Will I only get 1 bar of 4g service because he only gets 1 bar 3g service? Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Ambushbug

Reaction score
I can't answer all of your questions since I just got mine, but I can tell you not to go by the coverage map on the Verizon site. It shows no 4G coverage in my area, but I talked to several people who had a Thunderbolt and all were getting 4G service. I checked in at my local Verizon store and sure enough my entire city is covered, they said the map is only update every 6-8 weeks. I hope you have good luck with coverage!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Just get a device, You have 14 days to test.
No one can answer your questions.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is kind of a tough one for us to answer. I have bought a sprint phone and the csr rep swore up and down I got great coverage in my area because I was in the area on the coverage map where it was green. But everyone I knew had issues with 3 g in my area. Bnb said it best to just get a device and try it out for a few days. Because there are some areas where vzw had dead spots or just plain 1x. And last thing you want is to be stuck with a 3g phone that you are paying for that you are not getting 3g data.

sent from droidforums app

Uzzo

Reaction score
I am about 60 miles away from you in asheville and I think 4G is in Charlotte so you might be picking it up since your so close there but the verizon store here told me when i got my TB that they we wouldn't see 4G here till Q4 :(

kparks

Reaction score
I agree with the rest I would get a 4G phone and take it on a test run I like my thunderbolt and u also can't really go by how many bars u get I do know that a lot of time its u ether have service or don't the important thing is to not be dropping calls. For Example some phones will only show having 2 bars and get better reception than a phone showing 4 bars..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is basically what I would.suggest to people now. Since you will be stuck with it for 2 years and 2 years is a long time. Either get a 4g capable phone now or wait until next year when more lte devices will be released. Even if you don't have lte now you can always make it a 3g phone for one. But you can't take a 3g phone and make it a lte phone. If you are not sold on the Lte phones out now then I would suggest wait until.next year.

sent from droidforums app

cananot

Reaction score
I work for the railroad and my territory is from Maryland to north Carolina and I use my 3g Droid all over that state the only place I had one bar was in lemon springs which is near Sanford and I was on the rails in the middle of no where and still uploaded my report and downloaded my next job which was 547kbs and it downloaded it in 3mins and 52seconds that was done turning my phone into a wifi hotspot. Get the phone you be fine

Sent from da Droid X liberty 2.0.1

OP
Beasthunt

Beasthunt

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I will have to just buy the phone and bring it to my house. My town has the 4g but I'm about 5 miles out and the coverage map worries me a bit. I seem to live next to a black hole for technology. It's really odd.

kevins686

Reaction score
I work for the railroad and my territory is from Maryland to north Carolina and I use my 3g Droid all over that state the only place I had one bar was in lemon springs which is near Sanford and I was on the rails in the middle of no where and still uploaded my report and downloaded my next job which was 547kbs and it downloaded it in 3mins and 52seconds that was done turning my phone into a wifi hotspot. Get the phone you be fine

I sure as h3ll hope you're in compliance with the FRA's Emergency Order 26, mister! ;-)

(I'm a train dispatcher) :)

cananot

Reaction score

I sure as h3ll hope you're in compliance with the FRA's Emergency Order 26, mister! ;-)

(I'm a train dispatcher) :)

Always whenever I do my work my flags are up and the switches are locked. I do not use cell phones while working only use them when my work is done and sitting off the tracks safely. Your a dispatcher well hope your off today and not cruising the forums while working.haha :-D

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Your a dispatcher well hope your off today and not cruising the forums while working.haha :-D

At least he isn't sleeping like the Air Traffic Controllers....:icon_ banana:

kevins686

Reaction score
Always whenever I do my work my flags are up and the switches are locked. I do not use cell phones while working only use them when my work is done and sitting off the tracks safely. Your a dispatcher well hope your off today and not cruising the forums while working.haha :-D

Ah, so you're Maintenance in the Way then. Not sure what your rules are governing cell use, but I guess as long as you've got protection in place, you're OK.

I know when I dispatched for a Class I, being caught using a cellphone at our desk became a major violation, right up there with a track-authority violation. That was after the MetroLink engineer in CA got by a redboard while texting and went head-on with a UP freight train. That was in 2008, I believe . . .

cananot

Reaction score

Ah, so you're Maintenance in the Way then. Not sure what your rules are governing cell use, but I guess as long as you've got protection in place, you're OK.

I know when I dispatched for a Class I, being caught using a cellphone at our desk became a major violation, right up there with a track-authority violation. That was after the MetroLink engineer in CA got by a redboard while texting and went head-on with a UP freight train. That was in 2008, I believe . . .

ya I work for the ballast division. Its got crazy with all the rules now it really went nuts when the guy got hit in doswell by the train I was there that day. Not good and he was on the phone cause of stuff like that they changed the Erails certification test now has even more safety chapters you have to know and of course I have to take it next week I hate that test .where you dispatch out of?