Maybe the Tegra 2 doesn't really play nice with LTE

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
but nvidia said it wasnt their fault... Why would any corporation lie to consumers:icon_ devil:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yeah, that's been talked about for quite awhile. Nvidia says it's not their chip, as is evidenced by the upcoming LTE version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. But clearly Motorola has issues with it. The Xoom is the prime example of that. It was supposed to have LTE already, but it doesn't, and the time frame for it's upgrade is the same as the launch of the redesigned Bionic - summer.

Between the Bionic and the Xoom, there's clearly some sort of issue that Motorola has had with LTE and the Tegra 2.

...and the Phonton has global GSM capabilities? Dang, if the Bionic were to drop with that I'd have to totally rethink my planned purchase of a Droid 3 this month.

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well it's not just Moto. Verizon stopped the preorders for the galaxy tab with lte too so it may have something to do with the tegra 2 and LTE. It would be nice if the. Bionic had that too. Personally I wouldn't use it since I think it's too expensive to use my cell out of the country but I guess it's nice for people who travel a lot. And the Droid 3 is going to be global?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Personally I wouldn't use it since I think it's too expensive to use my cell out of the country but I guess it's nice for people who travel a lot. And the Droid 3 is going to be global?

It's not expensive if you get the SIM slot unlocked and use local SIM cards from the places you travel to. It's dirt cheap actually. That's what I do with my Droid Pro. Now if you use the pre-installed Verizon SIM card internationally, you'll be paying an arm and a leg. Unless you have to keep the same number where ever you go, the smart thing to do is use local SIM cards. I'm required to travel internationally, so GSM capabilities are of the utmost importance for me.

There hasn't been any official information or leaks about it, but according to trusted insiders, the Droid 3 is supposed to be global.

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay that's nice then. My Canadian friend told me something like that when it comes to his phone.

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe a chipset wouldn't play nice with a radio! It makes no sense because they aren't really related in anyway unless the chip has to process the radio signals or something weird.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea either but that's what we're hearing. I don't know how the inter-workings of a cell phone works but Motorola probably had a good reason for changing it. This delay could potentially cost them money so they must think that the benefits of changing the device, outweigh potential losses of having a phone that handles less than expected.

tekhinator

Reaction score
I just want the bionic out already. But if its taking time to fix it then I also hope they use the time to improve the rest of the specs.

Sent from my Fascination using DForums