Maybe Motorola Doesn’t Love Android That Much Afterall

samiusmc

Reaction score
]Maybe Motorola Doesn’t Love Android That Much Afterall.

Maybe Motorola Doesn’t Love Android That Much Afterall | Android Phone Fans

Motorola has over and over claimed that they need to put all their efforts and energy into one clear vision and that vision has been Android and MOTOBLUR. Doing so has pretty much saved the company (or their division) from extinction – they can thank Android. But rather than continue down the path that saved them, Motorola is exploring other options based on diversifying their portfolio and just wait until you hear what those options are:
But it’s still curious to hear him openly step away from Android, the software that arguably saved Motorola, telling the WSJ, “If I had more money for R&D, I’d be developing an operating platform.” And talking more specifically about phones and Windows Phone 7, Jha says, “I’m open to it…I think I need diversity in our portfolio.” — (quotes found at Gizmodo)
You can’t blame Motorola for wanting to diversify. It’s the smart thing to do. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a good way to screw yourself over in the long run. And yes, as much as I love Android and love to hear Motorola focusing on Android, I would be working on Windows Phone 7 – ESPECIALLY because their ecosystem has stabilized and Windows Mobile has improved. But building their own operating platform?
Samsung has built their own operating system which launches soon called Samsung Bada and it’s more of a “basic” way to give their entire portfolio of feature phones more smartphone-like capabilities. It isn’t supposed to REPLACE Android… at least not yet.
With some recent success it will be very interesting to follow where Motorola takes their handset division. Will they still entertain producing their own operating system? For feature phones I wouldn’t doubt it. And as you start to improve that operating system with time, you have options to take that to the next level when the window of opportunity opens.
I’m fine with Motorola expanding their horizons but let’s hope it isn’t at the expense of their Android initiatives.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't blame them, this world is about money.

Ain't that the truth. Personally I love the profit motive. It's something I understand and trust. My old Grand Dad (the smartest man I have ever known) used to say, "Always expect people to do what is in their best interest and you'll seldom be disappointed."

iPirate

Reaction score
Android is not for everyone and if you are making phones with an OS that is not for everyone you are missing out on money. Some people like winmo. :icon_eek:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, Motorola is splitting anyway, and mobile is going to have to stand on it's own now... of course they're going to try to expand their business model.